Helpful ReplyHot!No Kids at Caruso's!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:30:55 (permalink)
Maybe my idea of fine dining is different.  When I think fine dining, I think of this.  Or this.  I cannot imagine children in either.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:44:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/04 22:08:36
Greymo
 Much more fun than watching drunks, guys trying to grope waitresses.........

First ChiBears15 and now Buffetbuster

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:52:01 (permalink)
lleechef
Maybe my idea of fine dining is different.  When I think fine dining, I think of this.  Or this.  I cannot imagine children in either.

Exactly.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8819
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:54:49 (permalink)
Greymo
felix4067
I cannot for the life of me figure out why, if you are a parent of a child under five, you would *want* to take them with you when you go out for an expensive dinner in a classy restaurant. Isn't the entire idea to get away from your children and get to be an adult for a couple of hours? Enjoy yourself? Maybe have a glass of wine? NOT cut anyone else's meat into tiny little squares?

Honestly, I don't care for the age limit, although I understand they have to have some parameters for the rule. But I'd think maybe it'd be easier (and also address the problem of children over the age of 5 whose parents never taught them to behave and are now a lost cause) to just say no one under the age of 18 or 19 will be admitted. You can get away with that if you serve alcohol.

I love going out to fine dining restaurants with children.  I always took my children out and now feel so lucky that I am able to go with my grandchildren.  As well as it teaching them  good manners, how to behave, and how to try new foods, it is just so much fun.  My grandchildren are older now (youngest is age 14) .  But we have taken them out since they were babies.  Much more fun than watching drunks, guys trying to grope waitresses........oh yea, and that couple pawing each other at their table, the adults sitting with their feet on the chair across from  them.  I could  go on but will not.  And we do enjoying sipping our wine while the kids have  soda, which is a treat reserved for dining in a restaurant.

YES!! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22594
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 15:03:36 (permalink)
Wintahaba
leethebard
Michael Hoffman
I fail to understand why anyone would wonder why parents would want to take their children to dinner with them at a fine-dining restaurant. Just in case anyone didn't know, kids enjoy good food, and if started early enough they develop wide ranging tastes in food, and an interest in trying new things.

Oh God I agree with you....how many of these members siding with this restaurant have kids. Most of us are much older people. It's not all about you . Those parents are paying big bucks too, and my experience has shown most young people are well behaved. Mine certainly were. I guess it should be self-policing. If your kids social skills are poor and they can't handle sitting in a restaurant, don't bring them. I'd guess ,most young people are well behaved. Hell, we've been more annoyed with loud adults and too plowed with drink adults ruining our dinner, than kids. Perhaps we should ban them too. Socializing families should be praised in this 21st century. It's a learning experience. I would choose to praise these parents for giving their kids this experience to try a classic high-dining experience.

You and a few others are the exception to the rule these days. I don't want my 100-200.00 dinner ruined by someones "learning experience".

I don't either. That's why my kids and grandkids behaved properly in restaurants.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6645
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 15:18:51 (permalink)
"The right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins". 

Anybody disagree?  How about:

"The right of parents to let their young misbehave during evening 'fine dining' ends at the other paying patron's ears".

It is a simple fact that social rules and prohibitions are born of persistent, unapologetic miscreant behavior that flaunts common courtesy.  It was parents' failure to have the common courtesy of minding their young that led to Caruso's 'no kids under 5' policy. 

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 15:21:51 (permalink)
Wintahaba
lleechef

Exactly.

There are many fine dining  restaurants.  I know them very well.  As a matter of fact, we took our youngest son to Tour a' Agent when he was 8 years old.  The owner, at that time, Claude Terail, the owner enjoyed our son so much that he sent us lovely Christmas cards every year.  When my son, years later went to France for his honeymoon, he took one of the card and a picture of himself to to the restaurant and  showed them to Mr Terail.  Mr. Terail was delighted.  When they were seated, a waited presented them with an  expensive bottle of champagne and proceeded to pour, saying "compliments of Monsieur  Terail". He continued to send us Christmas cards until  the year he died.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 15:26:01 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Wintahaba
leethebard
Michael Hoffman
I fail to understand why anyone would wonder why parents would want to take their children to dinner with them at a fine-dining restaurant. Just in case anyone didn't know, kids enjoy good food, and if started early enough they develop wide ranging tastes in food, and an interest in trying new things.

Oh God I agree with you....how many of these members siding with this restaurant have kids. Most of us are much older people. It's not all about you . Those parents are paying big bucks too, and my experience has shown most young people are well behaved. Mine certainly were. I guess it should be self-policing. If your kids social skills are poor and they can't handle sitting in a restaurant, don't bring them. I'd guess ,most young people are well behaved. Hell, we've been more annoyed with loud adults and too plowed with drink adults ruining our dinner, than kids. Perhaps we should ban them too. Socializing families should be praised in this 21st century. It's a learning experience. I would choose to praise these parents for giving their kids this experience to try a classic high-dining experience.

You and a few others are the exception to the rule these days. I don't want my 100-200.00 dinner ruined by someones "learning experience".

I don't either. That's why my kids and grandkids behaved properly in restaurants.

I'm sure they did but I'd bet a million dollars you didn't take them to the Tour d'Argent or the French Laundry.  THAT is FINE DINING. 

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 15:49:21 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Wintahaba
leethebard
Michael Hoffman

I wholeheartedly believe you MH...along w/ the other members here. But today folks like you are the minority. The members on here are educated, know food, and were raised in a way that today is not the norm.
I have been running restaurants (full service casual to upscale) as a General Manager or owner since 1982. I have seen the loss of common courtesy and common sense decline at a pace that has accelerated. I have seen the baby steps of a gigantic cell phone perched on my bar from "salesmen working" to the common site of a person that cannot walk 2 feet w/o staring at their handheld device. It's their FREAKIN' lifeline! 
I have also seen children that were pleased to be going out, talking to their parents and acting "grown-up" w/ a Shirley Temple or a Roy Rogers....using MANNERS. A menu to color was enjoyable to them back then. That quickly moved into walkmans...ipods....tablets..etc! The electronic device IS the babysitter, even when the parents are present. "Don't bother Mommy or Daddy...play w/ your tablet." It is so commonplace it is sickening. God forbid they actually parent.
As far as Adults misbehaving...I would cut them off or ask them to leave....very simple if you're consistent.....they are not going to ruin the experience for everybody else. This is something I could not do with an unruly child situation.
Introducing children to fine food and how to behave in public and social situations was (and is) very important. We started that at home w/ "special" dinners and then moved into other outside social activities. But we CARED and worked at it. I'm sure you all did also. Unfortunately parents don't see it that way today...for the most part.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 15:49:26 (permalink)
 You cite two, but there are 100's of fine dining restaurants!

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 16:01:33 (permalink)
Greymo
 You cite two, but there are 100's of fine dining restaurants!

More than that.  I didn't think it was necessary to cite the hundreds I've been to on this thread.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22594
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 16:53:51 (permalink)
lleechef
Michael Hoffman
Wintahaba
leethebard
Michael Hoffman

I'm sure they did but I'd bet a million dollars you didn't take them to the Tour d'Argent or the French Laundry.  THAT is FINE DINING. 

Nope. Never to either one. As you know, I've never set foot in France, a situation I hope never to change. And The French Laundry did not exist as a restaurant the last time I was in California. But I have taken young kids to the Four Seasons and Lutèce in New York and Galatoire's and Antoine's in New Orleans. But perhaps you don't consider those establishments FINE DINING.
ronnielee54
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 17:16:51 (permalink)
After looking at the menu for the French Laundry, I guess I will have to pass on FINE DINING.  Going across the river for a steak at Doe's is good enough for me.  Maybe not fine dining but it will do and it only costs around $50.  
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4741
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 17:31:56 (permalink)
What it all boils down to, regardless of whether you agree with Caruso's policy, is behaviour. If you are the type of parent who actually parents, choosing to teach your child what is and is not acceptable in public or otherwise, then odds are good you will unnecessarily suffer the consequences of the actions of others who choose not to do so.

I applaud all parents who actually make an effort to teach their children proper manners. But the sad fact is an increasing number of parents do not make that effort, instead choosing to let their children do as they please regardless of whether or not that bothers other people. Some parents, as we all know, get belligerent when asked to control their children, or to remove them from a situation in which the children are becoming a problem.

For those of you who did (or do) take your children into fine dining establishments, regardless of your definition of what that is, if your children were to act inappropriately would you have sat there and let them? Or would you have spoken to them, reprimanded them, even removed them from the restaurant if they did not stop? Because a policy like this one doesn't just come about overnight. It comes from many, many instances of misbehaviour.

I remember when I was a kid, we would on very rare occasions eat at a restaurant. I was being obnoxious one night, and my mother told me if I didn't knock it off I'd end up sitting in the car until the rest of the family was done enjoying their dinner. I didn't knock it off. I did, however, end up sitting in the car until they were done eating. Made quite an impression on me, and I never did it again. These days, no way would a parent be able to put their kid in the car alone, of course. But they could easily remove the misbehaving child from the restaurant. The parents cited as the "reason" (I'm thinking more straw that broke the camel's back), clearly did not do anything to change the behaviour. Quite the opposite. That is not you, the folks in this thread who took the time to parent. But you are the ones who have to suffer the consequences, because a restaurant cannot decide to allow some children and not others.
post edited by felix4067 - 2017/04/04 17:33:02
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 17:59:26 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Greymo

Oh dear..........my "bad"!  Should I delete this?
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:10:38 (permalink)
Greymo
wanderingjew
Greymo

Well you know how unruly they both can be! 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:18:10 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew
Greymo

Well you know how unruly they both can be! 

In that case, I will let it stand.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:27:25 (permalink)
To me, 'fine dining' is a combination of food, service, and ambience.   Part of the implied contract in establishments styling themselves as such is providing a quiet, comfortable ambience in which patrons may enjoy their meal and polite conversation. 

In fact, it is one of the primary responsibilities of the Maitre d' to maintain a peaceful ambience - first by asking politely, then 'bouncing' if necessary any disruptor be they a drunk, loud talker, or squealing tot.

Parents who, past their kids' bedtime, drag them along to fine evening dining only to have them squirm and fuss should be stopped at the door and given directions to the nearest Applebee's.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:39:07 (permalink)
Oh God, even a kid shouldn't be made to eat at Applebee's!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:43:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MetroplexJim 2017/04/04 18:55:47
Get a sitter and tell him/her to go get a Happy Meal for the kid.  Happy!  Happy!  Then go out for fine dining.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:48:50 (permalink)
leethebard
Oh God, even a kid shouldn't be made to eat at Applebee's!

Well, Chili's then.

Or better yet, Olive Garden. 
Give a tot a plate of spaghetti and they'll amuse themselves.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 18:55:29 (permalink)
lleechef
Get a sitter and tell him/her to go get a Happy Meal for the kid. 
Happy!  Happy! 
Then go out for fine dining.

Ah, some COMMON SENSE !
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1605
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 19:21:58 (permalink)
If I'm going to go out to a nice restaurant, I prefer to go later in the evening.  That way, we avoid both kids as well as the whiny old people that whine about them and complain about everything else.

I've seen far more issues with adults acting entitled or like jerks at nice restaurants than I have with children.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4741
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 19:57:27 (permalink)

The restaurant’s owner told the Mooresville Tribune that he has nothing against children and noted that he’s a father of two himself. He said he is trying to create an atmosphere that keeps his restaurant “elegant” for couples and friends who want to have a relaxed evening out.
The ban wasn’t based on a single incident, Caruso said, but came about after he started “to lose money and customers, because I had very young children coming in, throwing food, running around and screaming.”
“I had several customers complain, get up and leave because children were bothering them, and the parents were doing nothing,” he told the Tribune. “It started to feel like it wasn’t Caruso’s anymore, that it was a local pizzeria instead.”

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 20:24:11 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
lleechef
Get a sitter and tell him/her to go get a Happy Meal for the kid. 
Happy!  Happy! 
Then go out for fine dining.

Ah, some COMMON SENSE !

Yes!  There are McD's in Paris.  Then you head out to my dear friend, Jean-Pierre Vigato's fantastic restaurant, Apicius where you will have an amazing dining experience.  Adults only.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 20:25:44 (permalink)
saps
If I'm going to go out to a nice restaurant, I prefer to go later in the evening.  That way, we avoid both kids as well as the whiny old people that whine about them and complain about everything else.

I've seen far more issues with adults acting entitled or like jerks at nice restaurants than I have with children.

You are so right......A well behaved kid has as much a right to be there as the whiny adults. You oldsters complaining out there ,just eat a little later. I was raised in a close family environment. My folks would never think of leaving us out of a meal. We were a very close Italian old fashioned family, and my wife and I raised our own family that way. When my kids were still kids, they were amazingly well behaved, little adults. Never had the urge or need to "get away" from our kids...and as adults now, I'm sure they appreciate that. 
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1605
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 20:38:20 (permalink)
Additionally, sometimes kids are going to go off, and often when it occurs, it's not necessarily bad parenting.  When our kids were young, we simply avoided the nicer restaurants because going out was to satisfy all of our tastes, not just ours. 

My grandparents would take us out to nice restaurants when we were 5 and up, and the younger cousins would go as well, especially when we were on vacation.  Seemed to work out fine.

Also, it's not just the older folks that are whiny.  There are plenty of younger, entitled ones that see fit to b*tch about everything as well.

A lot of it is much ado about nothing.  One of the greatest uses of the internet is complaining and become indignant about pretty much everything.  But if Caruso's wants to keep kids out, and having them there hurts his business, I have no problem with what he is doing.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/05 01:46:22 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I agree! Kids need exposure to different foods. Instead of just a round burger at McDonalds, expose them to a Square Burger at Wendy's!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/05 09:22:53 (permalink)
Can anyone who believes Caruso's policy to be misguided (or horrible, cruel, hateful, unfair, disturbing, discriminatory, unconstitutional, ... or 'whatever') cite any time, occasion, or place that infants and tots ought not be taken by their parents?

"Evening meals taken in a formal, public setting at times past the kid's normal bedtime" is on my list.  For those of you that disagree, just WHAT (if anything) is on your list? 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8006
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/05 11:30:55 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
"Evening meals taken in a formal, public setting at times past the kid's normal bedtime" is on my list.

Dining before the restaurant typically gets busy can be a good approach.  With fewer distractions it's often easier to keep children focused on what's going on at their own table, especially if they're not as tired as they would be at a later time.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5