Helpful ReplyHot!No Kids at Caruso's!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6307
2017/04/03 10:16:21 (permalink)

No Kids at Caruso's!

Caruso's in Mooresville, NC, which styles itself as a 'fine dining' establishment has adopted a "no children under 5" policy for its evening hours. 

Even though I first saw this on my favorite news channel I waited until The Washington Post published an article on this before posting it here; can't be too careful these strange days.

As the father of four and the grandfather of two I applaud this policy.

What do you think?
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 10:55:54 (permalink)
I very much understand why they do it and applaud the policy. I don't blame the kids at all. 
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11272
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 11:09:11 (permalink)
Great idea!  It's very annoying to hear a small child screaming or a baby crying when you're eating, especially at a fine dining establishment. 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 12:18:01 (permalink)
Frankly, I don't see why Caruso's decision is controversial in any way.  In fact, it is just a simple statement about common sense and common courtesy. 

From their website, Caruso's portrays itself as a fine dining establishment.  And from their reviews on Yelp it appears that they generally succeed in providing such, yet from their recent reviews there are two that award the dreaded "one star" rating. 

Why am I not surprised that these negative reviews about Caruso's, situated in a small strip center in Mooresville, NC, come from Manhattan and Chicago?  And why am I not surprised that both are hysterical?

Frankly, it's a damn shame that a restauranteur has to establish "policies" enforcing common sense, common courtesy, and common sense.  And it is indeed shameful for individuals who obviously have never patronized the establishment to pan it.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8462
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 12:27:28 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Frankly, I don't see why Caruso's decision is controversial in any way.  In fact, it is just a simple statement about common sense and common courtesy. 

From their website, Caruso's portrays itself as a fine dining establishment.  And from their reviews on Yelp it appears that they generally succeed in providing such, yet from their recent reviews there are two that award the dreaded "one star" rating. 

Why am I not surprised that these negative reviews about Caruso's, situated in a small strip center in Mooresville, NC, come from Manhattan and Chicago?  And why am I not surprised that both are hysterical?

Frankly, it's a damn shame that a restauranteur has to establish "policies" enforcing common sense, common courtesy, and common sense.  And it is indeed shameful for individuals who obviously have never patronized the establishment to pan it.

Wow...there's an slap in the face to pig cities...while I hate annoying kids as much as others...it's a touchy subject...screaming kids often disrupt church services. Should we ban them from church,to not annoy adults?? Ban them from movie theatres where there are adults? Or should restaurants handle a child situation the same way, without banning? Just a thought from a stupid person living near <anhattan. Or does this mean Texas has better thinkers than we city people near New York.....
acain
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 12:56:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby leethebard 2017/04/03 13:10:28
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, ... what an idiotic policy. Why not post your policy stating that this is a fine dining establishment and our patrons enjoy a relaxing comfortable and peacefull atmosphere. Patrons with loud children or infants will be asked to take your child outside. (or something along those lines) . Think about it. What if your child is six years old and they dont believe you? Would you be asked to proove your babies age? And besides... Every day I see unruley and undisciplined kids every age from five and up being loud and obnoxious and its downright dissruptive. But most of the time when I see a couple with a baby in a carrier, it's sleeping while they eat.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 13:10:43 (permalink)
acain
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, ... what an idiotic policy. Why not post your policy stating that this is a fine dining establishment and our patrons enjoy a relaxing comfortable and peacefull atmosphere. Patrons with loud children or infants will be asked to take your child outside. (or something along those lines) . Think about it. What if your child is six years old and they dont believe you? Would you be asked to proove your babies age? And besides... Every day I see unruley and undisciplined kids every age from five and up being loud and obnoxious and its downright dissruptive. But most of the time when I see a couple with a baby in a carrier, it's sleeping while they eat.

Perfectly said!!!!!
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 495
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 14:26:03 (permalink)
leethebard
MetroplexJim

Wow...there's an slap in the face to pig cities...while I hate annoying kids as much as others...it's a touchy subject...screaming kids often disrupt church services. Should we ban them from church,to not annoy adults?? Ban them from movie theatres where there are adults? Or should restaurants handle a child situation the same way, without banning? Just a thought from a stupid person living near <anhattan. Or does this mean Texas has better thinkers than we city people near New York.....

I agree whole heartily with the policy. Hey, they OWN the business, If they suffer it's their own fate to bear. Last time I went to the movies or church I didn't spend $100.00 or more. 
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 14:33:05 (permalink)
acain

I respect others opinions...here is my humble take...If you have to take them outside, It's already too late...the disruption has occurred. What many (not all) parents think is their little rays of sunshine are precious to everybody...well I'm here to inform them they are NOT. Hey, kids are kids and somewhat like Dogs...they sense tension and react. Our daughter rarely freaked out, but the grocery store was her venue of choice. Not at fine dining restaurants...because we utilized this crazy thing called a baby sitter. If the response is that some people cannot afford babysitters, they probably can't afford Caruso's.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 14:36:21 (permalink)
I have spent more than $100.00 bucks at the movies. Their house , Their rules. My daughter was always well behaved in restaurants and usually got a dessert for it. BUT!! I have seen some really wild families in restaurants , light saber duels and tag are among the wildest.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 16:35:49 (permalink)
leethebard
Wow...there's an slap in the face to pig cities ...

??? 
Was that because I noted the FACT that some evidently self-righteous individuals from Manhattan (East Village, no less!) and Chicago took it upon themselves to damage the reputation of a business they had never patronized?

leethebard
... while I hate annoying kids as much as others...it's a touchy subject...screaming kids often disrupt church services. Should we ban them from church, to not annoy adults?? Ban them from movie theatres where there are adults?

In my experience (as a Presbyterian) churches provide a nursery for infants/toddlers and a kindergarten for children under six whilst parents and older children attend services.  And, "back in the day" theaters provided "crying rooms" with a window to the screen so that parents could quite their young and not miss any of the movie.

leethebard
Or should restaurants handle a child situation the same way, without banning? Just a thought from a stupid person living near Manhattan.

I have lived and taught in Manhattan and have visited there more times than I can count.  To their everlasting credit NYC'ers have better sense than to allow infants and fussy children to dine with them in the finer venues.  And, in 'family-friendly' venues the natives 'mind their young' very well, and, if necessary and without being asked, remove unruly children until they calm down.  Hell, INY!

leethebard
Or does this mean Texas has better thinkers than we city people near New York.....

As a matter of fact, no.  Distressingly, many down here will allow their very young progeny to participate in an evening meal.  Worse, many will let them work out a tantrum rather than walking them out.  I have had several $100/plate evening meals disrupted by such thoughtless hicks - something I never experienced in NYC or Metro WDC. 

But at least we don't feel compelled to signal our virtue by gratuitously posting defamatory reviews on restaurants we never visited in the middle of Nowhere, NC.

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10208
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 16:50:58 (permalink)
My parents never ever took me to a fine dining restaurant before I was 6 or 7. And when they did, they made it sound like a very grown up experience-I got to dress up, have a kiddie cocktail, etc. I looked forward to it as it wasn't a common occurance. Maybe  I was an unusual child, but I didn't ever act up in stores, either. The worst I did was hide under clothes racks, scaring my Mom for a minute. I agree with the restaurants policy, and its obvious previous experience there forced them to adopt this rule.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 17:06:49 (permalink)
acain
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, ... what an idiotic policy. Why not post your policy stating that this is a fine dining establishment and our patrons enjoy a relaxing comfortable and peacefull atmosphere. Patrons with loud children or infants will be asked to take your child outside. (or something along those lines) .

Whether posted or not, what you propose was that restaurant's policy.  But, when common sense, common courtesy, and common decency fails, what is one to do? 

And don't forget that we are talking about evening fine dining, not Sunday morning breakfast before church at the Original Pancake House.

In a TV interview the owner said that the "no kids under five" policy was the result of a patron's child playing on an I-Pad with the volume on Max.  Other diners complained and the parents of the child was asked to turn the volume down.  They refused.  And, I'm sure that there was more than just that one incident.

The 'bottom line' is that, after adopting the 'no kids' policy, patronage has increased by 35%.

Edit:  Another thought ... if a couple can afford $50 - $100/plate dining one would also think that:

a) They'd enjoy a quiet meal.
b) They can also afford a sitter.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/04/03 17:15:53
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9783
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 17:37:07 (permalink)
Luckily my coworkers live in RI/CT/MA, if they knew of this they would go BALLISTIC!! 
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 18:34:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Luckily my coworkers live in RI/CT/MA, if they knew of this they would go BALLISTIC!! 

Why?  Because they enjoy listening to a screaming 2-3 year-old when their prima piastra of ravioli al funghi with shaved fresh white truffles arrives that they paid $50 for?
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 18:45:48 (permalink)
I've been annoyed at fine dining venues by loud obnoxious drunken adults who think they are the "life of the party" many more times than by a crying baby. And I've seen punches thrown when they are asked to quiet down. I think Caruso's wanted a little free publicity. Oh well, at least they're not banning people based on race, religion or sexual preference...At least not yet, that is.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22288
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 20:01:00 (permalink)
Oh, good. That means there's still hope.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4031
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 20:19:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/04/03 20:36:31
We have taken my grandchildren to some of the finest restaurant in the US and in Canada.  They have always been treated so well.  Why?  Because they were to behave. Caring people know if their small ones can behave and enjoy a fine dining experience.  Unfortunately, there are too many parents out there that don't care how their children behave.

Some years ago, we took my grandchildren out to dine at one of the top restaurants in Williamsburg, Va.  It was a lovely restaurant and the small ones   (youngest one was age 2) were really nicely dressed.  We were seated and handed our menus.  A couple walked in, dressed in walking shorts and sneakers and were going to be seated at the table to my right.  The woman,  very annoyed, told the hostess that she did not wanted to be seated "next to a table next to a bunch of small kids and have her dinner ruined."  The host said  that the only table left open was right by the kitchen, and not desirable but they could be seated there.

The woman loudly sighed and sat at the table next to us.  Both of them put their feet on the chairs across from them!! Anyway, we ordered and had a wonderful time.  They were finished with their meal well ahead of us, received their check and paid and got up to leave.  The woman  stopped by our table and said "Our meal was so special this evening.  We sat and watched your well behaved children and saw how much fun you were having. We were envious"

The secret is being intelligent enough and caring  enough to quickly take care of a problem with a tiny one.  Sadly, , there are too many people out there that feel so entitled that they don't care!

Also, I have gone to fine dining  places, where adults have acted much worse than small children........,,loud terrible language, drunk, and terrible manners!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7615
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 20:23:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/04/03 20:36:07
Just have the kids slam a couple of Benadryl shooters before dinner and everything will be fine...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 20:35:57 (permalink)
lleechef
wanderingjew

Why?  Because they enjoy listening to a screaming 2-3 year-old when their prima piastra of ravioli al funghi with shaved fresh white truffles arrives that they paid $50 for?

No, because others can enjoy listening to THEIR screaming 2-3 year olds when  the prima piastra of ravioli al funghi with shaved fresh white truffles arrives that they paid $50 for?
I have to listen to their screaming 2-3 year olds when they constantly play their smart phone videos to others at work just to show everyone how cute they are.

Keep in mind these are the same coworkers who thought this restaurant owner was a horrible, horrible monster who deserved to be put in jail and have the key thrown away

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/03 20:37:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/04 08:26:42
Greymo
.......,,loud terrible language, drunk, and terrible manners!

Hey, that's not a nice thing to say about ChiBears15
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11891
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 02:02:36 (permalink)
Parents, not the kids are the problem. Kids will only do what the parents allow them to do.
If I owned a restaurant and there was a family with disruptive kids when it came time to present the check it would include a $100 dollar "Annoyance Fee" along with a note stating that they would not be allowed to eat there again.  
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4621
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 11:54:25 (permalink)
I cannot for the life of me figure out why, if you are a parent of a child under five, you would *want* to take them with you when you go out for an expensive dinner in a classy restaurant. Isn't the entire idea to get away from your children and get to be an adult for a couple of hours? Enjoy yourself? Maybe have a glass of wine? NOT cut anyone else's meat into tiny little squares?

Honestly, I don't care for the age limit, although I understand they have to have some parameters for the rule. But I'd think maybe it'd be easier (and also address the problem of children over the age of 5 whose parents never taught them to behave and are now a lost cause) to just say no one under the age of 18 or 19 will be admitted. You can get away with that if you serve alcohol.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 12:24:59 (permalink)
felix4067
I cannot for the life of me figure out why, if you are a parent of a child under five, you would *want* to take them with you when you go out for an expensive dinner in a classy restaurant. Isn't the entire idea to get away from your children and get to be an adult for a couple of hours? Enjoy yourself? Maybe have a glass of wine? NOT cut anyone else's meat into tiny little squares?

That's funny, felix!  But my sentiments exactly!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22288
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 12:41:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby leethebard 2017/04/04 13:40:04
I fail to understand why anyone would wonder why parents would want to take their children to dinner with them at a fine-dining restaurant. Just in case anyone didn't know, kids enjoy good food, and if started early enough they develop wide ranging tastes in food, and an interest in trying new things.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 13:39:34 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I fail to understand why anyone would wonder why parents would want to take their children to dinner with them at a fine-dining restaurant. Just in case anyone didn't know, kids enjoy good food, and if started early enough they develop wide ranging tastes in food, and an interest in trying new things.

Oh God I agree with you....how many of these members siding with this restaurant have kids. Most of us are much older people. It's not all about you . Those parents are paying big bucks too, and my experience has shown most young people are well behaved. Mine certainly were. I guess it should be self-policing. If your kids social skills are poor and they can't handle sitting in a restaurant, don't bring them. I'd guess ,most young people are well behaved. Hell, we've been more annoyed with loud adults and too plowed with drink adults ruining our dinner, than kids. Perhaps we should ban them too. Socializing families should be praised in this 21st century. It's a learning experience. I would choose to praise these parents for giving their kids this experience to try a classic high-dining experience.
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:04:14 (permalink)
leethebard
Michael Hoffman

Oh God I agree with you....how many of these members siding with this restaurant have kids. Most of us are much older people. It's not all about you . Those parents are paying big bucks too, and my experience has shown most young people are well behaved. Mine certainly were. I guess it should be self-policing. If your kids social skills are poor and they can't handle sitting in a restaurant, don't bring them. I'd guess ,most young people are well behaved. Hell, we've been more annoyed with loud adults and too plowed with drink adults ruining our dinner, than kids. Perhaps we should ban them too. Socializing families should be praised in this 21st century. It's a learning experience. I would choose to praise these parents for giving their kids this experience to try a classic high-dining experience.

You and a few others are the exception to the rule these days. I don't want my 100-200.00 dinner ruined by someones "learning experience".
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:17:37 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I'm all for having them try new things, and I'm all for teaching them the glory that is a varied palate. However, and maybe this is just because I come from a *very* poor background, I don't see any reason to spend $50+ on a dinner for a small child just to see if they'll try something and like it. There are far more economical ways to go about it.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:18:46 (permalink)
leethebard

I guess it should be self-policing. If your kids social skills are poor and they can't handle sitting in a restaurant, don't bring them. 

Therein lies the problem. Those same adults who ruin your meal by being loud and obnoxious? They're the parents.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4031
Re: No Kids at Caruso's! 2017/04/04 14:19:14 (permalink)
felix4067

Honestly, I don't care for the age limit, although I understand they have to have some parameters for the rule. But I'd think maybe it'd be easier (and also address the problem of children over the age of 5 whose parents never taught them to behave and are now a lost cause) to just say no one under the age of 18 or 19 will be admitted. You can get away with that if you serve alcohol.

I love going out to fine dining restaurants with children.  I always took my children out and now feel so lucky that I am able to go with my grandchildren.  As well as it teaching them  good manners, how to behave, and how to try new foods, it is just so much fun.  My grandchildren are older now (youngest is age 14) .  But we have taken them out since they were babies.  Much more fun than watching drunks, guys trying to grope waitresses........oh yea, and that couple pawing each other at their table, the adults sitting with their feet on the chair across from  them.  I could  go on but will not.  And we do enjoying sipping our wine while the kids have  soda, which is a treat reserved for dining in a restaurant.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5