Noob in NC, legal questions

Author
CoffeeClif
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/09/28 17:56:28 (permalink)

Noob in NC, legal questions

Hey everyone! I want to create a coffee / iced coffee / donut truck. I've been doing a bunch of reading, and it has gotten me more confused. I understand that in NC, that falls under the department of agriculture, and no inspections are needed since I'm not cooking anything with meat. What has me a bit confused is that I think I also have to have a permit or license from the county health department that I operate in? I'm ready to buy a truck and get started -- but I want to be clear on the legal stuff first. Thanks everyone, I've already learned a bunch reading about truck builds!

4 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1234
    Re: Noob in NC, legal questions 2017/09/28 18:34:31 (permalink)
    I'd contact both the Ag people and the department of health and ask them for specifics. They're going to know the answers to your questions.
    CoffeeClif
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Noob in NC, legal questions 2017/09/28 19:08:58 (permalink)
    I spoke with someone at ag, and seemed like she didn't want to talk about anything out of her jurisdiction. I'll speak with the county folks next, and go from there.
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: Noob in NC, legal questions 2017/11/09 13:23:00 (permalink)
    Can't speak to the specific State laws governing NC. But here in WA, OR, and ID the AG is in charge of processing facilities. So anything that could be sold on a store shelf. For you this could include if you are roasting your own beans for sale from the truck. The Health Departments/Public Health deal with restaurants whether mobile, brick an mortar, or pop up booth. But there are exceptions like coffee shops. If you are only selling coffee(no unprocessed food items) they may offer a exempt permitting option. You would still need to prove that you have proper hand washing and the added hurdle of water treatment due to the standing fresh water issue. Also here in WA any Built, modified and purchased food units need to be certified by Labor and Industry. 
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: Noob in NC, legal questions 2017/11/09 13:25:07 (permalink)
    But if you are looking at doing donuts, are they going to be made fresh on the truck, made before hand at a commissary or purchased from a commercial bakery? All are factors to consider.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5