Helpful ReplyNorske Nook is now a chain!

Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5023
2015/11/09 07:57:45 (permalink)

Norske Nook is now a chain!

Norske Nook is opening a fifth location in Deforest, near Madison. I think that firmly places NN in the realm of chains. Sorry for this awful news Dale.

For the rest of us, this is great news. No more trips to the north woods are necessary to enjoy their renowned pies.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12012
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 08:22:27 (permalink)

Norske Nook is only now a chain? 

Besides, you get better pies at home.  Strike that.  You get much better pies at home.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2015/11/09 10:06:15
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6790
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 09:39:32 (permalink)
I put Norske Nook in the same category as Betty's Pies on Minnesota's North Shore. They both long ago jumped the shark, chain or not, and will live off the fumes of their initial reputation for years to come. The masses love those kind of places. They are a tad bit more unique than say a Cracker Barrel.
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 1133
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 10:13:50 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Norske Nook is only now a chain? 

Besides, you get better pies at home.  Strike that.  You get much better pies at home.

Agreed, sadly. We long ago dropped it from Roadfood. Ahh, but what a grand place it was when it really was a small town cafe. Here is a photo from the mid-1970s. The background is dark, but you can see the booths and counter. That's all there was to it back then, in the town of Osseo.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12012
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 12:47:25 (permalink)
Not sure which I like better, the pies or the smile. 

Michael, this is a real memory stretcher, but is there any chance this is the first place you tried sour cream raisin pie? 
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 1133
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 14:39:40 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Not sure which I like better, the pies or the smile. 

Michael, this is a real memory stretcher, but is there any chance this is the first place you tried sour cream raisin pie? 

No stretch of the memory at all. The first time is easy to remember; and yes, Helen Myhre's sour cream raisin pie was my first!
kozel
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1166
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 15:07:26 (permalink)
They serve a Norwegian Fried Smelt Wrap; you don't see that very often.   I'd try it!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 15:12:12 (permalink)
Seems redundant to comment after the Roadfood Commander in Chief has spoken on the subject, but since I've never known when to shut up, I will anyway.

Dad and I visited Norske Nook a good 10 years ago or more on one of our commutes between Chicago and the Twin Cities.  It was a huge disappointment.  The food was decidedly sub par; over salted, off the back of the Sysco truck stuff, unappealingly presented and reluctantly eaten.  There was limited redemption in the pie.  What we sampled was good, but hardly worthy of the universal accolades the place had garnered over the years.

I wish we could have experienced Norske Noon in it's heyday.  At least now, with them opening up a location near Madison, I won't need to travel quite so far not to go there.

Buddy
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/09 21:23:41 (permalink)
I visited twice, once in 1998 and again in 2006, both times it was the original location. The first time I visited I had the sour cream raisin pie but don't remember much of anything about it. The second time I had a very pedestrian breakfast and I actually had a sour cream raisin  lingonberry pie. I remember enjoying the filling but didn't think much of the pie crust. 

BTW Jim, you and I have extremely different opinions about what the definition of a chain is. Although the Norske Nook is not a place I would go out of my way to re-visit, I don't consider it a chain.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/11/10 12:35:44
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 09:10:40 (permalink)
I'll take the smile, and a slice of each!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8821
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 10:48:16 (permalink)
 It's a CHAINN0w it becomes horrible food and taboo for some folks on this web site!!!!!!

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 12:34:53 (permalink)
I remember how many resentful people there were on the forum when the fast food/chain forum was moved off the front page. To get back at that, I remember the same people posting about restaurants that had more than one location on the chain/fast food forum
Sorry but Norske Nook, Primanti's, Giordano's, Gino's East, The Machine Shed, even Maurice's are not chains

Applebees, Ihop, Waffle House, McDonald's and Arby's are.....
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5023
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 13:16:55 (permalink)
All in fun Dale. I just like yanking on your chain.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2015/11/10 19:11:43
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 18:30:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Uncle Groucho 2015/11/10 19:31:10
wanderingjew
I remember how many resentful people there were on the forum when the fast food/chain forum was moved off the front page. To get back at that, I remember the same people posting about restaurants that had more than one location on the chain/fast food forum
Sorry but Norske Nook, Primanti's, Giordano's, Gino's East, The Machine Shed, even Maurice's are not chains

Primanti's  is indeed a chain.............39th location soon opening  45 miles from us , so that will make it at least 4 states.

In my opinion
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 19:21:41 (permalink)
I'd definitely call Primanti's a chain. They're opening one at our local mall next year. This ain't the Pitt.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 19:40:59 (permalink)
Greymo
wanderingjew

Primanti's  is indeed a chain.............39th location soon opening  45 miles from us , so that will make it at least 4 states.

In my opinion

There you go, being critical or trying to prove me wrong again.
First you try to convince me  what people are eating in MY hometown
Now you're trying to convince me that Primanti's is a chain
So far (besides Florida) it seems that Primanti's locations are operating regionally close to Pittsburgh. When one starts opening in Fargo ND or Boise ID, then I'll be convinced it's a chain

Root-Beer Man
I'd definitely call Primanti's a chain. They're opening one at our local mall next year. This ain't the Pitt.

You must have heard wrong, I checked their website and the only "coming soon" locations are Hagerstown MD and Altoona PA
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 20:20:57 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew

In my opinion

So far (besides Florida) it seems that Primanti's locations are operating regionally close to Pittsburgh. When one starts opening in Fargo ND or Boise ID, then I'll be convinced it's a chain

Root-Beer Man

You must have heard wrong, I checked their website and the only "coming soon" locations are Hagerstown MD and Altoona PA

Get over it.  I am not trying to prove anyone wrong........................IN MY OPINION..........it is now a chain.  Check back with me in a couple of years. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 20:24:08 (permalink)
Greymo
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew

In my opinion

Root-Beer Man

Get over it.  I am not trying to prove anyone wrong........................IN MY OPINION..........it is now a chain.  Check back with me in a couple of years. 

I remember a thread where several people kept insisting that Waffle House wasn't real a chain- and I remember YOU were one of those people. Everyone kept insisting that since they're only in 40 out of 50 states, they weren't a legitimate chain.... 
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/10 20:52:14 (permalink)
Primantis is now considered a chain. That was their decision to open places outside of their hometown. Would love to go to the original, but still don't like the idea of French fries on a sandwich.I don't care how many they open.
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1166
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/11 11:36:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew

In my opinion

Root-Beer Man

I remember a thread where several people kept insisting that Waffle House wasn't real a chain- and I remember YOU were one of those people. Everyone kept insisting that since they're only in 40 out of 50 states, they weren't a legitimate chain.... 

Do I have to pull this car over?????
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/11 12:37:49 (permalink)
kozel
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew
Greymo
wanderingjew

In my opinion

Root-Beer Man

Do I have to pull this car over?????

I remember the first time I walked into a Waffle House- in Rural Atlanta (Buford) way back in 1994. That was also the last time I walked into that chain

BTW. using everyone's logic- I guess Pepe's is also a chain since they're now in 3 or 4 states... So I guess, I could say, Pepe's? Pizza Hut? same thing!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/11 14:50:16 (permalink)
I believe one is pizza and one is Mexican...not sure but I think they are not the same thing. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/11 15:51:58 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I believe one is pizza and one is Mexican...not sure but I think they are not the same thing. 

I didn't know Pizza Hut was Mexican?
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/11 15:53:59 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Root-Beer Man

They probably need to update their website or it's too far out for them.
http://www.ibj.com/blogs/...wings-opening-in-anson
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6790
Re: Norske Nook is now a chain! 2015/11/11 16:55:20 (permalink)
Whether you have a definition for a multiple location restaurant as a chain or not, they no longer fit the definition and spirit of roadfood, IMO. I ate at a Primanti Bros. in Triadelphia, WV. It was located in a suburban area along with Applebees, Olive Garden, Bob Evans, etc. It was certainly more akin to those places than Primanti Bros. on the Strip in Pittsburgh. 
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5