North Carolina Favorites?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/26 21:50:33 (permalink)
Sadly, due to work pressures, the trip to the beach will not happen this year after all. We leave in the morning for a rush trip to Raleigh to retrieve our "basketball star." However, there's always next year! I'm keeping a copy of all the wonderful suggestions you folks have made. Thanks for replying!
Qmobile
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/04 14:27:30 (permalink)
Stamey's in Greensboro is one of NC's best - don't miss it.
Allen & Son at I85 and Hwy 86 is also fantastic cue.

In Wilmington, I like Flip's and there's also Jackson's Big Oak BBQ.

In Raleigh, Angus Barn for a true dining experience. 9401 Glenwood Ave. Char-Grill, 618 Hillsborough St. Best burgers in Raleigh. Cooper's BBQ, 109 E Davie St. and the Mecca, 13 E Martin St. have been there forever and are worth visiting.

Avoid Murray's BBQ.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/06 09:41:53 (permalink)
I must respectivefully disagree w/ the rec on Flip's in Wilmington. I used Jim Early's book to find it and will without a doubt call Flip's THE WORST bbq I've ever had. I'm an NC native, live close to Lexington and have traveled the state as a traveling peddler for thirty years. I wouldn't even consider giving them a second chance, the first was so bad. When I left Flip's I went to Wendy's.
hjbyun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/07 21:57:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cedarjet

I'll reiterate that Dip's is good but waaaay expensive for what they're serving you. Go to Bullock's in Durham for the same food at 50% of the price. Dip's daughter has a similar high-priced place in Carrboro at Carrboro Plaza on Rt. 54. Trust me, as a former bus driver at Chapel Hill Transit, I've got a fairly good idea of what's good and reasonable in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.

Cedarjet,

I couldn't agree with you more on Mama Dip's. I could not believe the prices the last time I was there for breakfast. We paid almost $70 for brunch for 4 people. I will not be returning. Don't get me wrong, the food was real good but I'm certain I can get equally good southern cooking at cheaper prices somewhere in chapel hill. Next time I'm down that way, I'll check out Bullock's in Durham.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 09:15:43 (permalink)
I can tell you also that Flips BBQ is the worst,right up there next to Bubbas BBQ.I ate there one time and couldnt get out the door fast enough.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1757
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 10:18:59 (permalink)
I'm planning my first trip to Lexington No. 1 (Honeymonks)in a few weeks. Can anyone give me fastest/easiest directions coming from 85 past Greensboro heading South. On a tight time schedule and can't afford any wrong turns. Thanks.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 994
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 10:58:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I'm planning my first trip to Lexington No. 1 (Honeymonks)in a few weeks. Can anyone give me fastest/easiest directions coming from 85 past Greensboro heading South. On a tight time schedule and can't afford any wrong turns. Thanks.

Take exit 96 ( off I-85) and follow highway 64 3.5 miles west. 64 hooks up with and becomes a part of I-85 business/highway 29 at that point, and you should continue with I-85 business another 2.5 miles. The white building on the right with the "Lexington Barbecue" sign is your destination.
When you leave, you can follow I-85 business South for another 4.8 miles and it will put you back on I-85 bypass toward Charlotte.,
signman
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 14:01:26 (permalink)
Thank you Hillbilly. How in the world do you have it down to tenths of a mile?? Where are you situated these days?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 14:54:03 (permalink)
quote:
Thank you Hillbilly. How in the world do you have it down to tenths of a mile?? Where are you situated these days?

Signman,
I'm betting on Advance or Welcome at the closest and Mount Ulla, Barber, or Denton at the farthest.
Not only that, but he has the directions memorized. Betcha. Like I have 'em to The Lakewood Diner in Atlanta... but I digress.
Not On 'Cue For Once, Ort. Carlton in Suddenly Notrainy Athens, Georgia.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 15:53:03 (permalink)
quote:

I'm making it close enough so you will know when to start looking in earnest. And I use Delorme Street Atlas to calculate. And if you have read any BBQ posts in the past,it is no secret that this is my all time favorite of all the Q joints I've tried. Don't just get a sandwich. Try the outside brown or lean brown chopped Q tray (or plate if you want fries). The tray comes in a cardboard tray of Q and red slaw, with all the hushpuppies you can handle. Chase it down with either sweet tea or Cheerwine. And their "Smokehouse" sauce added to a pork loin slow cooked in a crock pot will make a home prepared Q that reminds you of the real thing.I've been known to buy a case of the sauce to take along when we're going to be away from NC for a long project.

I HOPE YOUR TRIP THROUGH LEXINGTON ISN'T ON A SUNDAY. LEXINGTON # 1 IS CLOSED ON SUNDAY.

I'm on a New Orleans project until November (been here since June 1). There is just too much good eating to write it all up. My most recent GREAT meal was "Irene's Cuisine". This is the 2nd best in New Orleans, behind Uglesich's. Better than Bon Ton, Gallitoire's, Commanders, NOLA, Emeril's, etc. I believe that there is still a slim chance that Anthony & Gail won't be able to resist the pull to re-open "Uglesich's" once the "R" months roll around.
signman
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 19:25:45 (permalink)
Helping a friend out by driving with his son to college in Atlanta. Did the same thing last year but passed Lexington on a Sunday. So I am doing it again solely so I can finally get there. It'll be a Wednesday.

What's the difference between Outside Brown (is it like burnt ends) and Inside Lean. Are the fries worth it, or would I be better off with another sandwich. Definitely want to order the right things, and I trust your judgement.

Really wish you would try recapping your Big Easy dining adventures. Those "Eatalouges" are the best part of this site.
signman
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/08 19:28:10 (permalink)
Ort. Please tell me about the Lakewood Diner. Don't specifically recall the name. I'll have exactly 24 hours in Atlanta.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/08/09 08:17:22 (permalink)
quote:

What's the difference between Outside Brown (is it like burnt ends) and Inside Lean. Are the fries worth it, or would I be better off with another sandwich. Definitely want to order the right things, and I trust your judgement.

The "outside brown" has a little more of the outer layer of meat which has been directly exposed to the coals/smoke. "Lean brown" is more of a mixture of the outer layer and pulled pork. There aren't any "burnt ends" on smooth shoulder meat like those on ribs. A lot of folks order the outside, so it might not be available. But the good wood cooked shoulder meat is still excellent eating. As a matter of fact, the heavy smoke flavor of the outside is an acquired taste, and might not ring your chimes.

And I prefer the large tray (just Q, red slaw and huspuppies) to the plate. The fries are good, but I want all of the space saved for Q, slaw and hushpuppies. The sandwiches are also good, but you miss out on the fantastic hushpuppies when you get the sandwich. And their fresh peach cobbler finishes off the meal very nicely.

According to "HollyEats" (5 grease stains), "On a bad week they'll serve 3 tons of barbecued pork shoulder. Their best week ran 15 tons of shoulder".
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/10/09 15:14:27 (permalink)
Bringing back this post !!

How about places to eat in the Charlotte area . North and northeast or west.

Looking for Hot Dog , Hamburger and Breakfast joints.

Going down next wed. for the week from NY , so any spots along the way ( I 95) would be appreciated also .

Thanks
Benzee
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13946
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/10/09 15:35:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

The "outside brown" has a little more of the outer layer of meat which has been directly exposed to the coals/smoke. "Lean brown" is more of a mixture of the outer layer and pulled pork. There aren't any "burnt ends" on smooth shoulder meat like those on ribs. A lot of folks order the outside, so it might not be available. But the good wood cooked shoulder meat is still excellent eating. As a matter of fact, the heavy smoke flavor of the outside is an acquired taste, and might not ring your chimes.

And I prefer the large tray (just Q, red slaw and huspuppies) to the plate. The fries are good, but I want all of the space saved for Q, slaw and hushpuppies. The sandwiches are also good, but you miss out on the fantastic hushpuppies when you get the sandwich. And their fresh peach cobbler finishes off the meal very nicely.

According to "HollyEats" (5 grease stains), "On a bad week they'll serve 3 tons of barbecued pork shoulder. Their best week ran 15 tons of shoulder".

Probably the same termonology but when we were at Hay's BBQ in Lexington, TN, we referred to it as bark. Great with your evening libation. Mr Hays gave us a freebie with a huge plate of this wonderful treat. Chewie and full of flavor. We also order the belly which was full of fat and actually more tasty to me.

As I recall, Mr. Mayor retained a huge platter of bark for treats for his puppie. I doubt if puppy ever got a bite

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/10/10 07:39:01 (permalink)
Benzee,

Just remember there is not a really good BBQ place in Charlotte. Bubba's is at I-77 and Sunset road. The stew is pretty good but the Q only fair, IMHO.

I will stay on the north side (above the 85/77 intersection) per your post. Burgers and deep fried hot dogs try Park Drive in on N Tryon st. Also know as Herlocker's after the owners.

For something a little more upscale but great try Mickey & Mooches. Exit 23? off I-77 about 10-12 mmiles north of the city. The Soda Shop in downtown Davidson (two more exits north) is a great burger and sandwich place. Headed north on 77 take the Davidson College exit(27?)and then proceed intowards town AT THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT AND DON"T PASS ON THE RIGHT WHEN PEOPLE ARE TURNING LEFT!! Violate either law and you'll be speaking w/ a Davison Police Officer. Turn right when the road deadends into Davidson College, Soda Shop in 200 yards down on the right.

Do a search here for a good fried chicken place on Tryon St. I've never visited but is was highly recommended here by more than one person.
syzygy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/12/12 15:55:09 (permalink)
I'm sorry to hear Mama Dip's has gone down hill. i admit, when i posted about it, it had been close to five years since i've been there. my excitment for (any) southern cooking stems from the fact that i am an arkansan raised by floridians now living in california. i still say "ya'll" and i miss grits and real bbq.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5