North Carolina Favorites?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
2005/07/06 19:27:46 (permalink)

North Carolina Favorites?

We will be traveling via I-40 through North Carolina in a couple of weeks. We will spend one night in Winston Salem to visit relatives, drop our son off the next day at basketball camp in Raleigh, and then head for the coast. We are very strange people, I guess, because my husband doesn't eat seafood at all, and I don't eat much. He is also on a VERY low-carb diet, so places with good salads, steaks, etc, would be nice. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

46 Replies Related Threads

GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/06 20:50:09 (permalink)
    Sounds like East Carolina bbq would work for low carb -- q without the bun, skip the hushpuppies, slaw on the side, unsweetened or artifical sweet iced tea. Lot of discussion of East Carolina q places on this site: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=824&SearchTerms=east,carolina,bbq

Angus Barn in Raleigh is highly regarded as a steakhouse. There's also been a lot of discussion here about Raleigh/Durham and the Outer Banks.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89&SearchTerms=east,carolina,bbq

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7196&SearchTerms=east,carolina,bbq
    rpalmer1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/06 21:39:28 (permalink)
    I am partial to K & W in W-S for breakfast. Two locations serve breakfast. Bell Brothers is also good for lunch or dinner in W-S.
    gbacounselor
    Junior Burger
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/07 12:37:02 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the recommendations and the links. You've provided lots of good possibilities!
    syzygy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/07 13:25:58 (permalink)
    there is a wonderful restaurant in the raleigh area called "mama dips" - real southern homecooking. wonderful.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/07 13:33:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by syzygy

there is a wonderful restaurant in the raleigh area called "mama dips" - real southern homecooking. wonderful.

Mama Dips is in Chapel Hill. It's a wonderfull place with a traditonal southern/soul food menu. Everything we had there was great. http://www.mamadips.com/index.html
    gbacounselor
    Junior Burger
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/08 20:31:57 (permalink)
    OH, MY WORD!! I looked at the link to Mama Dips, and it looks divine. I am a "meat and three" girl, so everything on the menu is right up my alley! The really good news is that there are also several things that my hubby could eat as well. If we go, I'll be sure to give you a report. Thanks!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/08 23:40:38 (permalink)
    North Carolina has fabulous summer vegetables. Corn, tomatoes, beans (geen or lima), melons, collards and all the rest. I lived there in the early 70's and back then there were restaurants that offered lunches consisting of just 3 or 4 servings of fresh veggies, usually not long from the field. I hope such places still exist.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/09 00:22:07 (permalink)
    Lexington's #1 for BBQ, and Duplin Winery for scuppernong! http://duplinwinery.com/
    Fat Pig
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/09 12:05:34 (permalink)
    Allen & Son's is right off I-40 in Chapel Hill and is some of the best east Carolina 'cue.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/09 12:57:18 (permalink)
    I like Stamey's in Greensboro (right by W-S). Very inexpensive, and yummy. Near as I could tell, the BBQ would be very low in carbs. Skip the hushpuppies, etc. When I was there last year, platters were <$5!
    Fat Pig
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/09 15:03:56 (permalink)
    I know I40 and I85 do run together at some point, so I don't know if Gastonia is part of your route. If so Tony's Ice Cream and Sandwiches is also sensational. Then of course there is Lexington.
    cedarjet
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/09 19:10:32 (permalink)
    Living in the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill), I would recommend Bullock's, on Hillsborough Road in Durham, right off 15/501, one exit off I-85. Large menue, very good eastern BBQ, as well as salads, italian, fish, etc. Very reasonable, they also cater many concerts, sporting events, etc. in this area. Many basketball greats have been fed by Bullock's.
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/09 19:40:03 (permalink)
    K&W cafeterias have the best pancakes in the world...they are a small chain...one in Burlington at exit 143 off I-40.
    Stameys BBQ in Greensboro is always consistent and inexpensive.
    Big Ed's City Market in Raleigh has a great breakfast.
    A great little breakfast place in Greensboro is Dannys at Battleground and New Garden Road...tenderloin, eggs, biscuits are all good.
    The best tenderloin biscuit in North Carolina is at Country BBQ on Wendover avenue near I-40...my favorite.
    cedarjet
    Junior Burger
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/10 00:35:59 (permalink)
    There's also a K&W at University Mall in Chapel Hill. Another great place in Chapel Hill is Breadman's, been in the area for about 30 years, large, cheap menu enjoyed by students and visitors alike. It's on Rosemary Street not far from Dip's. Dip's has good food, but is very expensive for what you get.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/11 11:42:50 (permalink)
    A few recommendations for I-40

Asheville at the Candler/Enka exit (1st Asheville exit headed east) is a very good Chinese buffet. Exit and head towards Asheville. second or third light, on the left in the Ingel's grocery store center is Asiana.
    Unreal place...I'll be having lunch there tomorrow on my way to Chattanooga.

Winston-Salem. Hill's BBQ, one of my wife's favorite Q places, just an eight to 8 1/2 for me. The blocked Q is interesting, low carb...plate w/ double slaw.

Greensboro. 85 and 40 join west of town. head for the coliseum at High Point rd exit. Stamey's is 2-3 miles in on the right. ONE OF THE BEST IN NC!!!

Burlington has two Q places...keep driving

Durham area. This one is only slightly trickey. For Allen & Sons Q (another great one, make sure to ask for some outside brown when you order) you need to take 85 when 40 and 85 split. only one or two exits down and then only a mile off 85 is the joint. I recommend just taking 85 back west to 40 east. Google is your friend here.

Warsaw. Country side or something lunch buffet. Go past the Smithfield Q place to find Country side. Also at this exit and only five miles off 40 is West Water country hams. I've been buying them and recommending them for twenty years. Again do a Google as they are not easy to find. Wonderful family run business making the best country ham I've ever had. They'll take you to the cure room if you want so you can pick your own ham from thousands. Fifteen pound ham is about $35.

I will assume you are headed for Wilmington or Wrightsville Bch. Stay away from Flip's BBQ. Not much more I can help you with in Wilmington as I ONLY eat seafood there.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 727
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/11 11:52:12 (permalink)
    It's been a while since I was there in Greensboro, but I'll second the vote for Stamey's. This was my intro to NC 'que, and I always enjoyed it.
    BBQjoe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/11 12:18:17 (permalink)
    If you are taking your son to B Ball camp at NCSu then you should try the Q Shak, it is on Hillsborough St very close to where the campers check in. The BBQ is low card and they have a great salad that is very low carb that incorporates BBQ, smoked turkey etc.

One place that merits metntioning on a roadfood board is the Meadwo Restaurant. It is at exit 334 "Meadow " exit on Interste 40 toward the coast. They serve a buffet of great country cooking. I steered people last week and they loved it.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/11 13:09:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim Ross

quote:
    Originally posted by syzygy

Mama Dips is in Chapel Hill. It's a wonderfull place with a traditonal southern/soul food menu. Everything we had there was great. http://www.mamadips.com/index.html

I heartily second the recommendation of Mama Dip's. We ate there about a month ago on our way home from the Outer Banks; stopped to visit a friend in Durham and she took us there. WONDERFUL. I had a vegetable plate: blackeyed peas, collard greens, Fried okra, mac & Cheese. Sweet tea to drink. I love the place.
    steveindurham
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/12 08:53:48 (permalink)
    You must go to Keaton's Bar-B-Q in Statesville and have the barbecued chicken. Stern has a review of the place on this website. Out of this world.
    cedarjet
    Junior Burger
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/12 23:21:23 (permalink)
    I'll reiterate that Dip's is good but waaaay expensive for what they're serving you. Go to Bullock's in Durham for the same food at 50% of the price. Dip's daughter has a similar high-priced place in Carrboro at Carrboro Plaza on Rt. 54. Trust me, as a former bus driver at Chapel Hill Transit, I've got a fairly good idea of what's good and reasonable in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.
    familydok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/21 08:56:49 (permalink)
    I definitly recommend the Duplin Winery-I was there Sat. and purchased a case. Most of their selections are less than $6.00 a bottle by the case. The wine tastings are free.
    We returned to this area after most of our working years spent in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. We always take our vistors from these areas there. While you are in that area go to Warsaw to The Country Squire. They have nice, reasonable lunches and great steaks.
    The Mad Boar at I-40/highway 41 exit is also nice. I was there yesterday-quite a nice salad bar and excellent menu.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/21 09:32:15 (permalink)
    A good family-style restaurant off I-40 is the "Toot-n-Tell" on W. Garner Street in Garner, NC, just before the I-40/I440 split. A huge place that can seat 300 easily, famous for their "streak-o-lean" which is fried sidemeat/fatback. Breakfasts are great, as are the fried chicken, smothered steak, veggie plates, even chitlins. I love the place but be forewarned - this is NC, so it does get a little smokey (cigarette, not hickory). If that bothers you (like it does my better half) then better stick to the Waffle House. "Toot-n-Tell" used to be a chain of drive-ins back in the day, hence the unusual name.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/21 10:42:13 (permalink)
    We went through there in June trying to sample as much as the tight schedule would allow (Outer Banks to Atlanta plus stops in one day).

For western NC BBQ we stopped at Lexington BBQ. Very interesting (and good) slaw that is made using ketchup! This was the only stop that we actually researched and scheduled...

For eastern NC 'que we stopped at Shaw's BBQ in Williamston along Hwy 64 and sampled a "pig picker":

That stretch of road can be a bit desolate.

I don't really go for seafood either, but when in Rome (or the Outer Banks) we tried, yes, Dirty Dick's Crab House in Kill Devil Hills. The hushpuppies and sweet potato fries were quite good, and you can buy tacky T-shirts to take to your friends. And if that doesn't illustrate the Freudian nature of the whole Outer Banks experience, you'll see plenty of these...

saps
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/21 10:45:44 (permalink)
    When I was in college at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, my parents would take me to Staley's Steakhouse when they came into town. Great steaks cooked over mesquite. Hopefully it's still there.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/21 16:16:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

When I was in college at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, my parents would take me to Staley's Steakhouse when they came into town. Great steaks cooked over mesquite. Hopefully it's still there.

Staley's is no more. Their chateaubriand was without equal. But there was nobody left to continue the 60+ year old "business based on quality and pride" after Lawrence Staley and Kenneth Cheek both died. There were several "Staley's" in and around Winston Salem in years past, but the "Charcoal Steak House" on Reynolda Road outside the entrance to Wake Forest was the flagship.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/21 16:20:45 (permalink)
    Too bad- Classic place.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/26 11:17:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grillmeister
    I don't really go for seafood either, but when in Rome (or the Outer Banks) we tried, yes, Dirty Dick's Crab House in Kill Devil Hills. The hushpuppies and sweet potato fries were quite good, and you can buy tacky T-shirts to take to your friends. And if that doesn't illustrate the Freudian nature of the whole Outer Banks experience, you'll see plenty of these...

Dirty Dick's is a waste of money. Violates the first law of the Banks vacation: If they advertise heavily and have coupons in the tourist magazines, pass 'em by.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/26 11:30:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
    Originally posted by Grillmeister

Dirty Dick's is a waste of money. Violates the first law of the Banks vacation: If they advertise heavily and have coupons in the tourist magazines, pass 'em by.

Actually the entire Outer Banks thing was chintzy, but we can say we did it in passing...once. When you see three of the exact same type of souvenir shops (a la Starbucks) you know you've hit a major tourist trap. But we got a lot of mileage out of those God awful T-shirts.....
    More enjoyable was a nice little state park at Cape Henlopen, DE. That was more my speed.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: North Carolina Favorites? 2005/07/26 11:52:56 (permalink)
    Let me preface this by saying I haven't been to Mama Dips in a couple of years but I have been there many times since the 1970s when it opened and I have a signed copy of her cookbook.

Since the restaurant moved across the street to the fancier digs, it has lost its appeal as a soul food place, the prices are high for what you get, and the food is inconsistent. Mama Dip is getting up there in years and I suspect that she is not as hands on as she once was.

If I were you, I would go to Allen & Sons (make sure it is the one on Rt. 86 north of Chapel Hill and not the one in Pittsboro). When you order, don't forget to ask for outside brown and make sure that you BBQ sauce is warmed. Just moisten the BBQ with the sauce; don't pour it on. I have had mixed experiences with the place and a lot depends on how you order and whether your server is a college kid or an old timer. If you hit it right, it is among the pinnacle of NC BBQ experiences. If you hit it wrong, you will be disappointed.

I will also second the recommendation of Toot-n-Tell. You can eat low carb from the buffet; they even serve chitlins, if you are adventurous.

A number of the places recommended above are not on your route.

What route are you taking to the beach...it's a big state so you can help us by being a bit more specific on that aspect of your itineray if you haven't left yet.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5