Northern Wisconsin

Author
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
2005/08/03 11:00:02 (permalink)

Northern Wisconsin

Going to God's Country (i.e. North Central Wisconsin). Wondered if anyone has any can't miss suggestion.

6 Replies Related Threads

Kirsby
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Northern Wisconsin 2005/08/03 12:06:03 (permalink)
    Not sure exactly where you're headed but if you're going to the Minocqua area, I can help you out. You'll probably want to check out a classic Wisconsin supper club. The two that I've been to that are worth checking out are the Norwood Pines supper club, on Hwy 70 just west of Minocqua, and Mama's Supper Club, also on Hwy 70 a little further west. Norwood Pines is probably a little more upscale. They have a great menu and a huge screened porch overlooking one of many lakes in the area. Mama's is also set on a lake and has one full wall of windows so you have a great view from anywhere in the dining room. I've never had a bad meal at Mama's. Their Friday fish specials are especially nice. I've also heard that Marty's, north of Minocqua/Arbor Vitae on Hwy 51 is good. Haven't made it there yet.

Some other places worth checking out: Blink Bonnie's on Hwy 70 East for steaks. Otto's Beer & Brat Garden downtown in Minocqua for casual food, drinks, authentic german decor, and a great shuffleboard table. The Thirsty Whale, right on Lake Minocqua in a converted old boathouse: Good bar food and great view. Bosacki's Boathouse in Minocqua, kinda touristy but the only place to go for late night food besides Country Kitchen. Barb & Fred's just south of Hazelhurst on Hwy Y: an old log building in the woods, very casual, great service if it's not too crowded.

Let me know if you need more info. Have fun "up nort"!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23076
    RE: Northern Wisconsin 2005/08/03 15:14:46 (permalink)
    There used to be a place in Rice Lake called the Viking. Good burgers and fries.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3660
    RE: Northern Wisconsin 2005/08/04 22:43:43 (permalink)
    If you drive 25 minutes north of HWY 70 on HWY 51 to the "real northwoods," there are some exceptional restuarants that are not touristy. I own a licensed year round vacation rental home on a private lake in the Northern Highland State Forest in Manitowish Waters. We recommend the following restuarants to our customers:

Guide's Inn: Boulder Junction-Veal & seafood-our favorite place restaurant in Vilas county
    Birch Lake Resort: Winchester-Pan fried walleye, pasta, steaks, Friday fish fry(family style), & Sunday breakfast
    Fireplace Inn: Manitowish Waters-Get the filet
    Pea Patch: Manitowish Waters-Good bar food
    Blink Bonnie's-St.Germain-Excellent filets. Be there by 4:00pm or wait
    Bear Trap: Land-O-Lakes(Steak & lobster specials)

CSD
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3660
    RE: Northern Wisconsin 2005/08/05 08:41:10 (permalink)
    Kirsby,
    Is the bakery in New Glarus that makes the best chocolate chip cookies still in business?

CSD
    Kirsby
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Northern Wisconsin 2005/08/05 10:01:23 (permalink)
    Chicagostyle-

Yes the bakery is still here. They were closed for about a year, but opened up again this spring under new management. They seem to use the same recipes as before. I took some apple bread from there to work one day and had everyone drooling over it.

I'm going to try some of the restaurants in your list. I've seen signs for them all when I've been up there but the only one I've actually tried is Blink Bonnie's. We usually go up there a couple times a year. Also, if you want to go even farther north, near Hurley there is an excellent supper club called Petrusha's right on Hwy 51. We stopped there on our annual ski trip last year and everyone was very happy with their meal, especially the prime rib.
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2770
    RE: Northern Wisconsin 2005/08/07 00:55:28 (permalink)
    New Glarus = beeeeeeeeeeeer
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5