Helpful ReplyNot Gary, Indiana?

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
2019/09/02 13:55:10 (permalink)

Not Gary, Indiana?

Do you need proof that a person doesn't know what he or she is talking about? Here it is. This "EXPERT" seems to be insisting that Pizza wasn't invented in Gary, Indiana. Obviously she's an idiot.

https://www.orderisda.org/culture/food-wine/pizza-a-short-history-of-the-worlds-favorite-food/?fbclid=IwAR09w6DSNw5xHVohtW0c-SjVFt46X88N_Fhh2tHI8dXHtJdXoM1NVEyCcW8
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9230
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/02 14:09:52 (permalink)
"Which brings me to a myth often repeated about pizza—GIs returning home from Italy during World War II brought pizza back to the United States with them and that is how pizza became popular. American GIs couldn’t “discover” something that already existed in America. As early as 1903, the NY Tribunenmentioned pizza. In the October 31, 1937 issue of Washington, D.C.’s Evening Star, comedian Milton Berle lists pizza as one of his favorite foods. NY Herald Tribune food columnist Clementine Paddleford recommended taking out-of-towners for pizza in 1939. So Americans who were not Italian were discovering, eating, and loving pizza before World War II."

Pizza may have been well-known in places like NYC and DC by that time, but GIs returning to the Midwest and Plains (you know, those parts of the country that grow and process much of the wheat and flour vital to a pizza crust) did a lot to introduce and popularize pizza to and in Flyover Land.  The author sounds like she may have just a bit of East Coast/ESPN-style bias.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/09/02 14:35:48
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/02 14:18:16 (permalink)
Midwest? Never heard of it. Never heard of DC, either -- except for Direct Current.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3659
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/03 22:58:31 (permalink)
Pizza is good old fashioned Polish fare.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5874
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 10:22:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/09/04 11:12:19
A whole “authoritative” dissertation on Pizza by Dino and yet not a mention of the Zenith of flat food, Canadian Bacon and pineapple!
Heresy!!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 11:30:33 (permalink)
1bbqboy
A whole “authoritative” dissertation on Pizza by Dino and yet not a mention of the Zenith of flat food, Canadian Bacon and pineapple!
Heresy!!

My goodness, Zenith of flat food is downright poetic.

In related news...
Hell Introduces 13 New Varieties Of Pineapple Pizza

HELL—The demonic forces of Satan proudly announced Thursday the debut of 13 new varieties of pineapple pizza, designed to torture millions of humans deceived into consuming the hellish abominations.
The exciting new spins on pineapple pizza were forged in the fires of the hottest portions of hell, and are designed to cause the greatest pain and suffering on earth as possible.

“We expect the new Krazy Pineapple Kale pizza to be especially nefarious,” one high-ranking demonic official said in a board meeting unveiling the new assault on all things good and holy. “The pizzas shall masquerade as good and wholesome food, but in reality they shall be agents of His Darkness Lucifer. Hail Satan! Hail Satan!”

Other varieties the armies of Satan are preparing to foister upon unsuspecting humans worldwide include Deluxe Lutefisk Pineapple, Tropical Tuna Pineapple, and Pineapple Marshmallow Delight.

Hell’s distribution center reportedly began shipping Satan’s pizzas to select test markets this week.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 15:01:16 (permalink)
If it's called pizza instead of apizza then it's already a product from Hell.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12589
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 15:40:57 (permalink)
Deluxe Lutefisk Pineapple!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 15:53:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/09/04 17:20:26
buffetbuster

I used to always get a small Deluxe Lutefisk Pineapple apizza at Pepe's when I was growing up. And a Foxon Park white birch beer.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 15:53:30 (permalink)
buffetbuster

I used to always get a small Deluxe Lutefisk Pineapple apizza at Pepe's when I was growing up. And a Foxon Park white birch beer.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7328
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 16:54:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/09/04 17:23:16
All this "Italian / Neapolitan" fiction is cultural appropriation of the most vile sort.

Recent research by Alton Brown and the late Anthony Bourdain has revealed that what we now call "pizza" originated where the Land of Tippecanoe met the Great Waters.  It seems that Chief Gahree of the Kickapoo Tribe sought a fitting accompaniment to their legendary "Joy Juice".  The tribe was so pleased with the culinary creation they named the location after their Chief.  Since, his name became 'Anglicized' to the now familiar "Gary".  

After the Kickapoo were vanquished by future President William Henry Harrison at the Battle of Tippecanoe, their traditions did not perish as several surviving members of the tribe made it to NYC via the Erie Canal.  Soon after they encamped in SE Manhattan and made a prosperous living by selling their Joy Juice and Chief Gahree's wonderful creation. 

All went well for nearly fifty years until their territory was invaded yet again, this time by Sicilians and Neapolitans.  Soon, the "newcomers" made the Kickapoo "an offer they couldn't refuse"!

And the rest is the history recounted in the article.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5589
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 17:38:57 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
buffetbuster

I know we dont agree on much these days, but foxon park white birch beer - I have been to Pepe's exactly twice and had one each time, and it was great

those are the only two times I have had said beverage, ever
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5589
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 17:38:57 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
buffetbuster

I know we dont agree on much these days, but foxon park white birch beer - I have been to Pepe's exactly twice and had one each time, and it was great

those are the only two times I have had said beverage, ever
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10287
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 17:39:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Root-Beer Man 2019/09/05 18:30:09
Hate to be the bearer of conflicting views, but in Italy (where pizza WAS invented), anything goes. I've seen some strange things on a pizza. Italians have told this Italian American that you can put anything on a pizza. If you like it, go for it. I personally don't like pineapple and such on my pie, but if it turns on your culinary taste buds. go for it. I watched an Italian in Florence eat a pizza with a very runny poached egg on it....Pizza Capricosa is a pizza with what the pizza master felt like putting on it. It's not Satan. Ketchup on a hotdog IS Satan! Those combinations make pizza sometimes a lot of fun in Italy.
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 17:41:46 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
All this "Italian / Neapolitan" fiction is cultural appropriation of the most vile sort.

Recent research by Alton Brown and the late Anthony Bourdain has revealed that what we now call "pizza" originated where the Land of Tippecanoe met the Great Waters.  It seems that Chief Gahree of the Kickapoo Tribe sought a fitting accompaniment to their legendary "Joy Juice".  The tribe was so pleased with the culinary creation they named the location after their Chief.  Since, his name became 'Anglicized' to the now familiar "Gary".  

After the Kickapoo were vanquished by future President William Henry Harrison at the Battle of Tippecanoe, their traditions did not perish as several surviving members of the tribe made it to NYC via the Erie Canal.  Soon after they encamped in SE Manhattan and made a prosperous living by selling their Joy Juice and Chief Gahree's wonderful creation. 

All went well for nearly fifty years until their territory was invaded yet again, this time by Sicilians and Neapolitans.  Soon, the "newcomers" made the Kickapoo "an offer they couldn't refuse"!

MetroplexJim

Can't wait to read their history of the lobster!!!

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3659
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/04 20:38:38 (permalink)
I once stayed at an All-Inclusive in Puerto Vallarta. Every time they brought a pizza out, these Russians ran up and snagged all the pieces. I was intrigued so after a while I went up and stood at the stand so I could cop a slice. It turned out that it was topped with sliced hot dogs. It NEEDED ketchup, onions, and Cheez Whiz to make it palatable but alas, none was available. I think Jen-O's made a better za.
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/05 04:09:05 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
I once stayed at an All-Inclusive in Puerto Vallarta. Every time they brought a pizza out, these Russians ran up and snagged all the pieces. I was intrigued so after a while I went up and stood at the stand so I could cop a slice. It turned out that it was topped with sliced hot dogs. It NEEDED ketchup, onions, and Cheez Whiz to make it palatable but alas, none was available. I think Jen-O's made a better za.

Wow...what's next"Pork roll, egg, and cheese pizza???
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/05 10:52:44 (permalink)
leethebard
Wow...what's next"Pork roll, egg, and cheese pizza???

If you build it, they will come.

1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5874
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/05 11:33:02 (permalink)
Breakfast pizza is a wonderful invention.
American ingenuity at work.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2019/09/05 11:36:01
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/05 15:22:37 (permalink)
Yep to the last two!!

Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1833
Re: Not Gary, Indiana? 2019/09/05 18:36:56 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Breakfast pizza is a wonderful invention.
American ingenuity at work.

One of the best breakfast pizzas I ever sampled was made by Ray Sabatini of Sabatini's Pizza in Lexington, KY. Back when I was working as a chef at a club there, Ray used to drop in with some of his experiments to see what I though. I gave him a hearty 2 thumbs up on his breakfast pizza. It consisted of scrambled eggs on a sausage gravy base with bacon and smoked provolone. It was so good! He added it to his menu and it was a seller. Sadly, Ray's place closed down, but it was always his side gig anyway. He was the county jailer for his main gig.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5