Helpful ReplyNot to sound CHEESY

Author
C2CD
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
2013/06/12 18:32:35 (permalink)

Not to sound CHEESY

Doggers, Slingers, and everyone else;
 Got a question, The topic is Cheese. I have been using fancy shredded cheddar. I want to move to a different kind of cheese, like a nacho cheese, but not nacho cheese of course. My RD has big huge cans of Cheese whiz that is like the consistency of nacho cheese, so it would not need to be melted, just heated. I know this is what they use on Cheesesteaks, has anyone used them on Chili Cheese dogs Before? Anyone know if that would be a good idea? My other thought was like melting some Velveeta down in one of my steam pans. Any thoughts on if that would be a good idea?  What's everyone else using for their chili cheese dogs?
sillydogz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 19:08:55 (permalink)
I've been using Ragu double cheddar cheese sauce which I found in the pasta sauce section. I mix in some Cheese Whiz to thicken it. I'm happy with the flavor and the consistency.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 765
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 19:11:32 (permalink)
You want Cheezy, or easy? How much is it in demand? Get the cheese in the dispenser, spray cheese?, cheese in a can? Got some, no refridgeration needed. Folks are happy with it. Few ask for cheese here.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 20:12:49 (permalink)
sillydogz

I've been using Ragu double cheddar cheese sauce which I found in the pasta sauce section. I mix in some Cheese Whiz to thicken it. I'm happy with the flavor and the consistency.

That is a thought, I will have to whip some up and do a taste test 
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 20:18:58 (permalink)
jcheese

You want Cheezy, or easy? How much is it in demand? Get the cheese in the dispenser, spray cheese?, cheese in a can? Got some, no refridgeration needed. Folks are happy with it. Few ask for cheese here.

Cheesey definitely, I don't need to cut corners or anything to be easy, Like I have said in other posts on here, I am a Chef by trade, I just do hot dogs now, but do it the best I can. I buy local fresh ingredients daily, I am most concerned about quality and flavor over quantity and price. In my area I get a lot of chili request, then out of those 1/2 are chili and cheese and the other 1/2 are chili and slaw. I don't really get too many that just want chili onion and mustard though, it's weird.
sillydogz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 20:23:53 (permalink)
I was using just cheese whiz but it was too thick even in a steam pan. It was a pain to handle. So I started using the Ragu as a base and I've been happy with it. I read somewhere that someone uses the Ragu cheddar and the garlic cheese one to make cheese sauce for chili dogs.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 339
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 21:23:51 (permalink)
I've had folks tell me they spray the can spray cheese on crackers and eat it. My wife and son are cheese  monsters. They were surprised by the taste. I'm talking about the same stuff that Jack mentioned. I like the fact that it's not another item that I have to worry about running to the commissary to put in the Fridge.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 22:17:46 (permalink)
brickboo

I've had folks tell me they spray the can spray cheese on crackers and eat it. My wife and son are cheese  monsters. They were surprised by the taste. I'm talking about the same stuff that Jack mentioned. I like the fact that it's not another item that I have to worry about running to the commissary to put in the Fridge.

Does that cheese melt though? I have a commissary on paper but that is about it, my kitchen at home is way better and nicer than theirs, I'm a chef, my kitchen is the most expensive room in my house  not to mention my cart has 4 sinks on it
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 22:19:32 (permalink)
sillydogz

I was using just cheese whiz but it was too thick even in a steam pan. It was a pain to handle. So I started using the Ragu as a base and I've been happy with it. I read somewhere that someone uses the Ragu cheddar and the garlic cheese one to make cheese sauce for chili dogs.

So there was nothing to cut the cheese whiz with to thin it out? I like the idea of adding some garlic to the flavor profile
top^dog
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 91
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 22:44:08 (permalink)
Bakers choice at sams is half the price of cheese wiz its not as thick and not aa cheesy but if you sell a lot put the money you save in your pocker instead of theirs....i dont sell a lot of cheese or chili cheese dogs...i do sell alit of cheese fries and the bakers choice is fineiy
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 23:10:50 (permalink)
top^dog

Bakers choice at sams is half the price of cheese wiz its not as thick and not aa cheesy but if you sell a lot put the money you save in your pocker instead of theirs....i dont sell a lot of cheese or chili cheese dogs...i do sell alit of cheese fries and the bakers choice is fineiy

Do you happen to know if they have it at Restaurant Depot? I don't have a membership to Sams
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 339
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 23:15:30 (permalink)
I just spray the cheese on the hot dog. I don't do hot cheese. I thought of doing hot cheese because I saw the large cans of cheese at Sams. Man I find this hot dog business hard enough offering chili,  dogs simmering in sauerkraut, and macaroni dogs without the stress of trying melted cheese. I'm getting old and lazy.

Check out the "no stick"baking pans at Target. I also saw and bought them at "Ross." The ones that will sit just at the top of a 1/4 size pan.

I get the Macaroni and cheese hot on the grill in this pan and then set on the 1/4 size pan that have dogs simmering in seasoned water. It works fine for me. When I get to the commissary the macaroni and cheese comes out cooled in one piece slicker than snot. The pan is like new. Not a spec sticks to the pan, and it fits perfect on top of the 1/4 size pan.

Don't forget to heat whatever you put in it on the grill because it is a lot faster and then it will keep warm sitting in the 1/4 size pan... 

These pans have an edge that sticks out on each end that act as handles. These handles also catch on to the end of the 1/4 size pan so that they set inside of the 1/4 size pan, but does not touch the food in the 1/4 size pan below it. The cover for the 1/4 size pan fits over it. It doesn't fit perfect but it works fine.

I can't believe how nothing sticks to it. It's a blessing to me. I even heat my sauerkraut in one of these pans on the grill and keep it hot in my perforated steam pan where I keep the hot dogs. I also put some dogs and brats to simmer in the kraut uncovered so it won't dry out and burn, I leave it uncover in the steam pan.

Hope this helps solve someone's problems that they had with sticky messes in the stainless steel pans. So far I see no need for pansaver liners. I think these pans will last for years. They're only about $4-$6 each. 

If your 1/4 pans are filled to the top with food of course these pans won't work like I'm using them. I usually only have one or two cans of Hormel Chili in my 1/4 size pan so it's not a problem for me. Chili isn't real big around here. When I ask why, they say it's too messy.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/12 23:19:33 (permalink)
If you have a Gordon Food Service Marketplace in your area ( http://www.gfs.com/en? ) they have gallon cans of sharp cheddar which our Boy Scout troop uses for cheese dogs, cheese nachos, cheese baked potatoes, etc.
top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 12:22:20 (permalink)
i cant remember  if RD has an off brand of reg cheddar other than cheese wiz...(they do not sell the bakers choice) i think they have an off brand of nacho chesse though...someone else may know for sure if they have the thinner cheaper cheddar
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 12:45:34 (permalink)
top^dog

i cant remember  if RD has an off brand of reg cheddar other than cheese wiz...(they do not sell the bakers choice) i think they have an off brand of nacho chesse though...someone else may know for sure if they have the thinner cheaper cheddar

What if I took the cheese whiz and cut it with like heavy cream and added fresh garlic maybe a pinch of S&P?
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 13:49:44 (permalink)
Bakers choice is a sam's brand

top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 14:54:53 (permalink)
i was just at rd and they do sell an off brand of mild cheddar...why pay twice as much for the cheese wiz just to cut it with heavy cream???? the cheese wiz was 18 bucks or so....unless you are going to charge about 5 bucks for a cheese dog its like i said...keep the money in your pocket and use the cheese that is half the price

jmo
top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 14:56:06 (permalink)
yes bakers choice is sams  chefs choice is RD
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 16:09:41 (permalink)
top^dog

yes bakers choice is sams  chefs choice is RD

So is Chefs choices the off brand cheese, or was it called something else? I assume it will be located in the same aisle as the Cheese whiz?
top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Not to sound CHEESY 2013/06/13 17:02:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
yes chefs choice is right next to cheese wiz at half the price
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5