Helpful ReplyHot!OFFICIAL DATE: JUNE 10th! Ahoy Mateys! French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Taxi

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5023
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/03/05 15:14:31 (permalink)
Please send Doodle invitations to me & Pie Diva.

Thanks.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/03/07 10:42:57 (permalink)
Doodle poll sent to all who've requested it.  Let me know if I missed anyone.

So far, June 10th and the 24th are the frontrunners.
post edited by abe_froeman - 2017/03/07 10:57:52
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/03/08 13:54:43 (permalink)
send me the doodle also
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/04/08 23:37:23 (permalink)
So, I think we'll go with June 10th for the date!

Once the Kansas City tour is behind y'all (sadly, Mr. Maki and I were not able to make it work out for us), I'll start posting more specifics about this trip.  

But mark your calendars!
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/04/13 17:48:30 (permalink)
Calendar is marked - count TBD
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3933
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/04/13 18:28:10 (permalink)
Just saw this post. Bummer I am going to miss you all by a week, as I am heading to Green Bay, WI the following weekend to see Billy Joel at Lambeau Field. This could have been a nice tie-in. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/04/13 19:15:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2017/04/13 23:00:27
Looks like we Travelin Manned The Travelin Man.

There's gotta be some excuse you can come up with for being in Chicago an extra week.  Tell the boss you're scouting some red hot phenom in the 51st Ward.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/04/13 23:01:02 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
Just saw this post. Bummer I am going to miss you all by a week, as I am heading to Green Bay, WI the following weekend to see Billy Joel at Lambeau Field. This could have been a nice tie-in. 

C'mon, Steve!  Make it work!
LAmuse Bouche
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/04/14 22:57:48 (permalink)
Sadly, June 10th I am working:(
If it ends up on the 17th or 24th, count me in.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 215
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/03 23:35:31 (permalink)
I'm in
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8007
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/06 00:43:32 (permalink)
Looks like I'm going to have to downgrade my attendance likelihood to "hopefully, if I don't have a lot to do here at the house".  My job's taking me to St. Louis for a lot of June...a city that is very accessible by water taxi right now.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 763
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/14 23:38:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2017/05/15 09:18:14

I plan on going-- likely without The Other Half, but I'll just have to eat more for the both of us.

Q
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/15 17:25:41 (permalink)
I am working on the itinerary and making some travel recommendations for people based on where you’re coming from.  Some of you may have seen the photos I posted on Facebook about my trip to The French Market last-last weekend.  It was my first trip there and it makes me recommend taking Metra there even more strongly than before.  It could not be easier- the market is directly underneath the platform at Ogilvie Transportation Center.  You don’t even go into the station.  You literally get off the train and walk down the stairs on the platform of the track you’re on and it’s right there.  And since the launching point for the Chicago Water Taxi is right at the end of the block, it’s a no brainer to just take the train.

Based on the Doodle and comments in this thread, here’s who I have on the definite/possibly list:
ScreamingChicken (I know you recently downgraded yourself from “definite” to “possibly” list)
ChiTownDiner
AnnPeeples
ChiBears
Quixote
IrisArbor
Gyp
JPfefferle
PieDiva
CNW

BuddyRoadhouse, I assume you’re in, though you didn’t respond to the Doodle, nor do you directly say yes/no in this thread.  You and I are on the same Metra line, so we can coordinate.

I haven’t heard from ChicagoStyleDog, MilwFoodLovers, or X1, so I’ll send them a note here and on Facebook.  If there’s any regulars I’m missing, please let me know!

Those of you coming from Milwaukee (Gyp, The Pfeffsters, Quixote, AnnPeeples), I’m working on your travel information.

ScreamingChicken, if you make it, are you still going to get a hotel room near my house so I can be your Metra Sherpa?

ChiTownDiner, if you’re not aware already, the BNSF line goes to Union Station, not OTC.  You can walk the couple blocks, or go to the UP-W line in Glen Ellyn, Villa Park, Elmhurst, whatever’s most convenient.

IrisArbor, same as CTD- the MD-N line goes to Union Station, so you may want to look into going east to the UP-N line at Highland Park, Braeside, etc.  That’ll be the same line as the Milwaukee people. 

CNW, do you think you’re going to come into town?  If so, where do you think you’ll be staying?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/15 18:21:58 (permalink)
Thanks Abe!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/15 18:32:06 (permalink)
Yes, we'll be there.  With my erratic schedule, i was waiting to see where this plan(e) finally landed.  Once a firm date was chosen I forgot to confirm.

We'll coordinate Metra plans as we get closer to the date.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/22 16:54:53 (permalink)
Thanks- was definitely planning on training from HP
not sure of my count- 
possible Laura and some of her crew may tag along
I'll try to firm them up 
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/22 18:48:46 (permalink)
abe_froeman
I am working on the itinerary and making some travel recommendations for people based on where you’re coming from.  Some of you may have seen the photos I posted on Facebook about my trip to The French Market last-last weekend.  It was my first trip there and it makes me recommend taking Metra there even more strongly than before.  It could not be easier- the market is directly underneath the platform at Ogilvie Transportation Center.  You don’t even go into the station.  You literally get off the train and walk down the stairs on the platform of the track you’re on and it’s right there.  And since the launching point for the Chicago Water Taxi is right at the end of the block, it’s a no brainer to just take the train.

Hi Abe,

I'm hoping you will post the itinerary on this thread and not just for the people who have signed up. I would at least like to see what I'll be missing. There's a very slight chance that I might be able to attend, but at this point I'm still not sure.

Thank you.

ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/23 03:11:43 (permalink)
Davidsanders

Hi Abe,

I'm hoping you will post the itinerary on this thread and not just for the people who have signed up. I would at least like to see what I'll be missing. There's a very slight chance that I might be able to attend, but at this point I'm still not sure.

Thank you.

Agreed, this sounds like an excellent way to spend a day off 'downtown', even if unable to take the Contingent sponsored tour. Oh, and the cost for an all day pass, is the super reasonable price of $9. Looking at their website (www.chicagowatertaxi.com), shows boats on a loop of all stops and departing every 15 minutes. I know with more free time on my hands this summer and ease of getting to, it'll definitely be using it a bit.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/23 11:24:27 (permalink)
Update on count- 
still not 100% on Frank, but I think he'll ultimately be a yes. 
However Laura and 3 of her friends are enthusiastic yeses.
A couple live downtown, some will train with us.
So make us a total of 6 

post edited by irisarbor - 2017/05/23 11:25:37
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/23 19:30:26 (permalink)
I'm hoping to make a date with BuddyRoadhouse sometime this week to look over my logistics and then I'll be posting an itinerary of what's happening. 

To begin the temptation, here's a link to everything at the Chicago French Market. 
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/25 10:37:23 (permalink)

Thanks for the info abe_froeman. I'm still in.
If anyone wants to carpool from Milwaukee let me know.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/25 12:23:14 (permalink)
Gyp-pending unforeseen things-I would love to go with you!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/25 13:36:22 (permalink)
Gyp & Ann,

Are you coming to Pewaukee on Sunday?
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/25 14:20:06 (permalink)
Hoping to!

Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/25 14:47:25 (permalink)
Yes, you can ride with me Ann.
Jim I won't be able to make it on Sunday as I'll be at the Indy 500. Thanks for the invite.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/05/30 00:21:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/06/05 09:11:23
BuddyRoadhouse and I have gone over the notes I wrote up for this trip and have come up with some loose plans.
Wisconsin people, your input is going to have a lot of influence over what we do here.  As I’ve stated before, I am highly recommending you take Metra to get into the city.  But where you start from could significantly determine the timing and length of our day.

Catching the Union Pacific-North train in Kenosha has obvious advantages because it’s closest to you.  To make it into the city (Ogilvie Transportation Center) by 10:16am, you’d need to get on the 8:34am train.  Getting home at the end of the day presents more complicated options and you may decide to catch the train in Waukegan instead. 
If you start from Kenosha, there are two return trains in the evening. The first leaves Chicago at 5:45pm and arrives at 7:25pm, which could cut short our day.  The next one doesn’t leave until 9:35pm and arrives in Kenosha at 11:15pm, which might be too late for some folks. 

If you start in Waukegan you could catch the same train into the city at 8:55am and still arrive at 10:16am.  The biggest advantage is the additional option for a return train, leaving Chicago at 7:35pm and arriving in Waukegan at 8:50pm.  Another plus is that you can take 94/41 to Waukegan and still avoid any tolls!

Buddy also made the case for everyone meeting at his house in Des Plaines at 9:30am and then carpooling to the local Metra station to catch the 9:44am train on the Union Pacific-Northwest line.  That way we all ride down together and arrive together.  Plus, there’s more flexibility for return trains.  One leaves the city at 6:30pm and arrives in Des Plaines a little after 7pm.  There’s also an 8:30pm train that gets in just after 9pm.

The Wisconsin folks are most affected by the schedule as they have the longest trip home.  Once we settle on those logistics we can back into the timing and itinerary for the rest of the day. 

Whichever starting point you decide on, make sure you get the $8 Metra Unlimited Weekend Passes available for purchase on the train.  Normally it’s $9.75 each way from Kenosha.  Those passes are non-transferrable and there needs to be one per person.

Our first stop will be The French Market inside the Ogilvie Transportation Center.  From there we’ll take the Water Taxi to multiple stops in Chinatown. 

There are several potential Chinatown stops after we’re dropped off at Ping Tom Memorial Park:

BBQ King House
2148 S Archer Ave
From  Eater.Chicago.com (#1 on the list): “Feast like a king but dine on a dime at this Chinatown Square restaurant. The family-style dinners provide more than enough food and value for the cost. Like Sun Wah’s popular Peking duck dinner, the one offered here—for $33.88—serves 3-4 people and includes crispy duck bao sandwiches, duck bone soup, shredded duck and fried shrimp. Or if you’d rather order a la carte items, there’s also whole roasted pork, soy sauce chicken and more.”

Qing Xiang Yuan
2002 S Wentworth Ave
From Eater.Chicago.com (#13): “What started as a Chinatown food court stall is now a full-fledged restaurant. The specialty here is made-to-order soup dumplings filled with a number of options including lamb, pork, beef, chicken and seafood. The dumplings are served without broth but each one holds soup-y goodness inside and makes for a delicious snack or meal. Oh and don’t forget to order some of the well-seasoned skewers either.”

Chiu Quon Bakery & Dim Sum
2253 S Wentworth Ave
We’ve been here on a few past tours and it’s always a favorite, especially the pork buns. 
From Eater.Chicago.com (#4): “Buns and pastries are just as important to Chinese cuisine as any savory dish so you’ll definitely want to grab some from Chiu Quon. The sweet and savory buns are inexpensive and make for a quick snack, while other popular items include egg tarts, sesame balls with bean paste, almond cookies and more. Stop in and you might walk out with a box of treats you never even knew about.”

Little Lamb Hot Pot
2201 S Wentworth Ave
From Eater.Chicago.com (#10): “For a more hands-on meal, head to this Mongolian chain for some hot pot action. Pick a broth and then select meats, seafood, veggies and more to cook tableside. It’s a communal dining experience that gets only better with a large group, giving guests an opportunity to try a sampling of items.”

Xi’an Cuisine
225 W Cermak Rd
Just read this nice little review from Kevin Pang of the Chicago Tribune (he’s the same guy whose guidance we used on the Fox Valley Taco Tour that Buddy organized last year.)

Slurp Slurp Noodles
2247 S Wentworth Ave
Another review in the Tribune, but from a different writer.

Hing Kee (website seems to be down)
2140 S Archer Ave
From Eater.Chicago.com (#7): “With an extensive menu that covers Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese fare, Hing Kee is certainly not short on options. We recommend skipping the spicy tuna rolls, though, and sticking with the traditional hand-pulled noodles and xiaolongbao—tasty soup dumplings that are among the best in Chicago.”

From Chinatown, we’ll head back north on the Water Taxi to the still-developing Riverwalk area.  There are different vendors depending on the season.  Most of  the vendors we know about tend to be on the touristy side, so I am seeing it mostly as an opportunity to view some of the world’s most incredible architecture from a unique vantage point while doing some people watching and working up an appetite for our last stop, Eataly.

It’s about a half-mile walk from the Riverwalk to Eataly.  We should plan on spending a solid two hours or more at Eataly.  When we’re ready to leave, it’s a short walk back to the Water Taxi which will take us right back to the Ogilvie Transportation Center and the trains back home.

Here’s an interactive map of our potential stops for the day.

Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/02 09:45:12 (permalink)
Thank you abe_froeman. This is looking to be a great outing.
As far as getting there the Waukegan idea sounds good.
ann peeples, are you still in?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/02 10:25:20 (permalink)
Ann overboard!
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/05 10:45:35 (permalink)
So is the consensus downtown around 10-10:30ish?
Frank is out ( on a shoot)
Laura's crew is in 
E
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3466
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/05 14:04:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/06/05 14:05:15
Mr and Mrs MFL will be accompanying Gyp this Saturday.
It is Chicago Blues Festival time so there will be many tourists visiting Chicago.
post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2017/06/05 14:26:06
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5