Helpful ReplyOFFICIAL DATE: JUNE 10th! Ahoy Mateys! French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Taxi

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 291
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 05:24:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/06/09 06:57:19
BuddyRoadhouse
Just received word from the Roadhouse "Mystery Daughter", the Chicago leg of the World Naked Bike Ride will take place Saturday evening while we're downtown.  The throng (thong?) will ride through most of the city's most popular neighborhoods.  She says it's a pretty good show and worth hanging around.

Sorry no links, you'll need to look it up yourselves.

buddy

"Hanging around?"

Really? 😅😂😱😜
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5080
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 07:01:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2017/06/09 15:20:57
As a regular on the circuit, I strongly recommend a bit of Vaseline on the seat to prevent chafing!  
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 08:55:23 (permalink)

My car is acting up. Does anyone driving to Kenosha/Chicago tomorrow have space (not counting the trunk) for an extra passenger?

Q
Pie Diva
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 09:00:23 (permalink)
We have room for you. And on a totally unrelated note, Jim wants to know if there is room on the train for his bike.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 10:05:43 (permalink)
Thanks, Pie Diva-- I'll send you a PM.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 13:06:31 (permalink)
Water Taxi and Parking Passes acquired...pre-French Market stops choreographed....ready to rumble! 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6234
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 14:20:21 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
As a regular on the circuit, I strongly recommend a bit of Vaseline on the seat to prevent chafing!  

I take it then, you'll be biking into the city and leaving the group around 6pm for the pre-ride on the near west side?

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 14:51:57 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
ChiTownDiner

I take it then, you'll be biking into the city and leaving the group around 6pm for the pre-ride on the near west side?

Buddy

I prefer Divy...easier to drop and cool off any aching parts...

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 17:25:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/06/09 18:35:49
And always better to leave a film of Vaseline on a rental bike seat than on your own.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 21:14:09 (permalink)
abe-froeman and Mr. Maki are out galavanting this evening, so I've been empowered by abe (first time in 35 years) to post some final details about tomorrow's Water Taxi Tour.  First off, there's some concern about sticking together and getting around in a timely manner.  abe is worried that the Water Taxi service may be busy tomorrow and the long lines to buy tickets may hold us up when we're trying to leave the French Market for Chinatown.

To save time, she encourages everyone to buy their Water Taxi All Day Passes ahead of time, using the company's website.  I just did it and it couldn't be easier.  The tickets are emailed to you and you can either print out a hard copy (for old geezers like me), or load them onto your cellphone (for all you high tech whippersnappers).  AN IMPORTANT HINT: My first attempt at doing this, using Mozilla Firefox proved a dead end.  When I tried it using MSN Internet Explorer I had better luck.  Google Chrome is also recommended.

Once you've secured Water Taxi Tickets, here is a loose itinerary (bring your own spreadsheet, if you're so inclined):

10:30am- Arrive at Ogilvie Transportation Center/French Market via Metra
11:55am- Leave French Market, walk to Chicago Water Taxi
12:10pm- CWT leaves dock (next CWT doesn't leave until 12:25pm)
12:30pm- CWT arrives in Chinatown
2:20pm- CWT leaves Chinatown
2:50pm- CWT arrives at Riverwalk
3:45pm- Walk from Riverwalk to Eataly (15 mins)
4:00pm- Arrive at Eataly

The next part of the schedule depends on when you (specifically the Cheese Heads) want to get home.  Figure a ten minute walk from Eataly to the Michigan Avenue CWT stop.  Then you have the following options:

To catch the 7:35pm train from OTC to Waukegan (arrives @ 8:50pm):
6:30pm CWT leaves Michigan Ave, arrives  at OTC @ 6:50pm
7:00pm CWT leaves Michigan Ave, arrives at OTC @ 7:20pm, only 15 mins to 7:35p train 

To catch the 9:35pm train from OTC to Waukegan (arrives @ 10:50pm):
8:20pm CWT leaves Michigan Ave, arrives at OTC @ 8:30pm
8:45pm CWT leaves Michigan Ave, arrives at OTC @ 8:55pm

Hope this is all clear.  If not, we'll just fight about it all day while we're trying to enjoy ourselves.

See ya in the morning at the Ogilvie Transportation Center/French Market!
Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5421
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/09 22:18:42 (permalink)
Thanks Buddy.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/10 11:08:27 (permalink)
With some effort we loaded Buddy on the METRA.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3570
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/10 21:45:45 (permalink)
Great time. Those two Chinatown noodle stops were as good as roadfood gets imho. Thanks to Abe, Mr. Maki and Mr. and Mrs. Roadhouse for all the effort that went into the planning. I'm glad I'm no longer a METRA virgin. That was lots of fun. Thanks to JRPfeff for the portrait of the century. You captured my inner essence or was that heartburn?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 00:24:29 (permalink)
Mike did not ask why for the first time since I've known him, I randomly asked him to stop for a photograph.

Likely the last time he will stop when asked.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 00:53:32 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
Great time. Those two Chinatown noodle stops were as good as roadfood gets imho. Thanks to Abe, Mr. Maki and Mr. and Mrs. Roadhouse for all the effort that went into the planning. I'm glad I'm no longer a METRA virgin. That was lots of fun. Thanks to JRPfeff for the portrait of the century. You captured my inner essence or was that heartburn?

Which two noodle stops were did you go to, in case I get a chance to go sometime in the future.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 02:21:42 (permalink)
We did some splitting up and actually visited three places, but not all together.  The Flatlanders started at Seafood Harbor and plates of Salt & Pepper Shrimp, BBQ Duck, Soft Shell Crab Fried Rice, BBQ Beef Short Ribs, and Pot Stickers.

The Cheeseheads, including MFL, kicked things off at Hing Kee and apparently went crazy on the menu.  I'll leave it to them to describe their meal.  All I can tell you is, when we finally met up again, they had a look of complete contentment combined with extreme bloat from eating too much too early in the tour.  These are supposed to be seasoned pros.  How they managed to make that rookie mistake is beyond me.

To their credit, they all sucked it up like champions and joined in the Soup Dumpling Frenzy at Qing Xiang Yuan Dumpling.  We ordered five plates of Soup Dumplings, 18 pieces to an order.  Each plate featured a different filling including Beef & Onion, Pork & Cabbage, Shrimp, and Mushroom & Zucchini.

We all agreed we might need to consider a future tour focused exclusively on Chinatown so we can visit all the places we had to skip on this outing.

We could have used your help David, it was a mighty task, requiring all Contingent hands on deck.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 09:06:03 (permalink)
Here is what we consumed at Hing Kee.

Pie Diva, Gyp and I started with these things. Bad move - very filling. Followed by Dough Balls.

These were crunchy tasty bites with a sugary dipping sauce. All this before the food arrived.

Round 1 was Dan Dan Noodles. We all dove in and filled our plates with noodles. This dish was excellent.

Next came Spicy Pork Dumplings. These were my favorite, I loved them.
These Pork & Shrimp Dumplings arrived immediately and were also excellent.

Mercifully, our order of Chicken Soup Dumplings was lost in the kitchen and we were spared eating more of this fine Chinese food.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 09:09:18 (permalink)
Excellent planning by Lucy and Buddy of this trip. It is something I would never think of doing and I absolutely loved it. Great food at all of our stops and we got to see Chicago at its finest.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 09:26:59 (permalink)
It all looks amazing. Looking forward to more photos.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8575
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 09:42:34 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Round 1 was Dan Dan Noodles.

I can picture a group of Chinese schoolchildren sitting in a circle while one walks the perimeter and taps the others on their shoulders.  "Dan...dan...dan...NOODLES!!"

I'm sorry I wasn't able to be there (those spicy pork dumplings do look awfully good) but it just wasn't in the cards for me this time.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 10:01:05 (permalink)
We missed having you Brad, although all the Cubs fans everywhere might have ruined your appetite.

Here is a Contingent of happy Roadfooders at the French Market.

Lots and lots of frites from Frietkoten. We should have had a burger, they were a good price and looked delicious, but already had purchased a breakfast crepe.

Pastries from Vanille Patisserie.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 10:04:00 (permalink)

The water taxi was fun and economical transportation.

Making Chicago Great Again!

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 10:24:52 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner promises an even more amazing tour next time. He never said why he left us early.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 12:04:14 (permalink)
JRPfeff
ChiTownDiner promises an even more amazing tour next time. He never said why he left us early.

That was my 2nd stop...had the bike ride to finish up first.  Just finished de-vasolining my seat.  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 12:14:41 (permalink)

Firecakes Donuts and ChiTownDiner on Travel Channel Tonite....Maybe

Last August, a friend and I were wondering the streets of Chicago noshing on various food items.  The Travel Channel was filming and one thing led to another and before you knew, we were involved!

They shoot for almost 8 hours for a few minutes segment so you never know who is in and who is on the cutting room floor.  We've been patiently waiting for notice and the segment appears tonight....

The Travel Channel - Food Paradise - 7pm CDT - The Donut Shop Episode

While they won't confirm my inclusion, I have received a text saying "Your Star will Shine" which leads me to believe...my DVR is set! 
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 12:28:30 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Making Chicago Great Again!

Jim is being far too modest but he failed to tell everyone how the combination of his hat and the proximity of the Trump Tower scared off a bunch of terrorists who left after firing several clips while hitting no one. Our lives were probably saved because Jim led us to safety; at least we all scrambled to catch up to our leader who moved so quickly we almost lost him.   
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 12:33:22 (permalink)
MFL - Someone had to survive to identify the bodies.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 12:47:26 (permalink)

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 13:13:38 (permalink)
This goes down as one of the best Roadfood gatherings ever!  Many thanks to Lucy & Pete and Jeff & Susie for the organizational efforts...like clock work!!!

Among the highlights....The French Market is a treasure trove of foodie stalls with everything tasting great...mingling with the group...Mike & Jim pledging loyalty to Trump...my first water taxi trip and it will not be my last, mainly because they didn't scan my ticket...sharing a bench for two with Jeff in 90 degree+ sweaty thigh heat on our taxi...beef & onion soup dumplings X TWO...no promises of Trip Reports from ChiBears15...Caprese Salad gelato (pomodoro sorbet, basilico gelato & fior de latte gelato) in a cup although the poor service at Eataly's gelato bar forgot the salt & pepper and olive oil...the rat tat tat of gunfire throughout our River Walk segment serving as a reminder that Chicago IS, Our Kind of Town...the bakery section at Eataly which should be on all bread lover's spreadsheets...meeting our newest Contingent Member Jenn who warmed our hearts by proclaiming our group far superior to any other Roadfood Group...an early morning Firecakes stop for donuts and iced coffee...newest member Jenn commenting how nice it feels to NOT be a secret society with several references to North Korea and freedom...a custom pate sandwich on fresh sourdough with grain mustard, cheese and tomato...salt & pepper shrimp with heads on...Chinatown duck...beef & soup dumplings X TWO...and a final thank you to fearless East Coast Leader Kim Jong Jew for discovering Chicago...
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/06/11 18:53:38 (permalink)
BUMP.

I love this picture.
JRPfeff
Mike did not ask why for the first time since I've known him, I randomly asked him to stop for a photograph.

Likely the last time he will stop when asked.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5