Helpful ReplyHot!OFFICIAL DATE: JUNE 10th! Ahoy Mateys! French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Taxi

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
2017/02/05 18:50:50 (permalink)

OFFICIAL DATE: JUNE 10th! Ahoy Mateys! French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Taxi

Last summer, I got the hankering for a boat ride, and having been on numerous Wendella tours and the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour, I didn't feel it necessary to pay a lot of money for someone to tell me about buildings and sites I already knew about (I highly recommend doing the CAF cruise at least once, though- it's especially good!)

Also, I wanted some flexibility in where I went and what time I got there....enter the Chicago Water Taxi.  For a VERY reasonable price (I think less than $10/person!), you can get an all day pass.  It goes from North Avenue to Chinatown (with stops at Chicago Ave and Ogilvie Transportation Center/Union Station), and east to the Michigan Ave (with a stop at the Riverwalk).

It was a rainy day, but the boats have indoor and outdoor sections, so Mr. Maki and I mostly stayed dry.  We took the Metra into Ogilvie and got on the boat, then got off at Michigan Ave and went to Eataly.  We had a Groupon for dinner at Lao Sze Chuan, so we didn't have a full meal at Eataly, and it's time to rectify that.  

So, I am proposing a more comprehensive outing where we'll start at the French Market (accessible through the Ogilvie Transportation Center), go down the river to Chinatown, back north to the Riverwalk, then to Michigan Ave. to explore Eataly.  

The trip has to be on a Saturday because the French Market isn't open on Sundays.  There's a couple places I had in mind in Chinatown- Chiu Quon Bakery (which I believe we've been to as a group before) and Qing Xiang Yuan Dumplings (which I haven't tried yet, but I've heard good things about).  The Chicago Riverwalk is a relatively new attraction to the city, is currently closed for the season, and is still a work in progress, so I don't have anything in mind yet.

To avoid the troll hijinks that happened in the recent supper club Doodle, comment if you're interested, and I'll PM you a link to the Doodle.  It will include Saturdays from 5/20- 6/24.  5/27 is Memorial Day weekend (and my anniversary weekend) and 6/17 is the day before Father's Day.

I would highly recommend taking your nearest Metra line into downtown.  Some lines go to Union Station, which is only a couple blocks, a fast walk, to the Ogilvie Transportation Center.  Wisconsin people- Harvard, Antioch, or Kenosha are going to be your closest stops.  
post edited by abe_froeman - 2017/04/08 23:39:35
LAmuse Bouche
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/05 19:46:06 (permalink)
I would be interested.
I work many Saturdays, but would be available Memorial weekend or any Saturday after 6/10.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8007
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/05 20:35:14 (permalink)
id
abe_froeman
I would highly recommend taking your nearest Metra line into downtown.  Some lines go to Union Station, which is only a couple blocks, a fast walk, to the Ogilvie Transportation Center.  Wisconsin people- Harvard, Antioch, or Kenosha are going to be your closest stops.

It appears you may be assuming that everyone's familiar with the Chicago public transportation system when it's possible that some people last used any form of transit 34 years ago in Des Moines, Iowa.  So is driving a reasonable option?

EDIT: Welcome, Jenn from New England.  Hopefully you'll like it here in the Midwest.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/02/05 20:45:12
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/05 22:29:35 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
id
abe_froeman

It appears you may be assuming that everyone's familiar with the Chicago public transportation system when it's possible that some people last used any form of transit 34 years ago in Des Moines, Iowa.  So is driving a reasonable option?

EDIT: Welcome, Jenn from New England.  Hopefully you'll like it here in the Midwest.

You can, but it will require finding (and paying for) all day parking in the Loop.  Our first stop is basically inside the train station.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/05 22:29:35 (permalink)
The other option would be for you to coordinate with and meet up a Contingent member who's more experienced with the Metra system.  Feel free to come to Arlington Heights, we'll get you there!
post edited by abe_froeman - 2017/02/05 22:32:33
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
(Sorry, my internet's being wonky- duplicate post.)
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/05 22:57:03 (permalink)
abe_froeman
The other option would be for you to coordinate with and meet up a Contingent member who's more experienced with the Metra system.  Feel free to come to Arlington Heights, we'll get you there!

Or Des Plaines, which is right off I-294.

Come to think of it, if you're coming in on I-90, so Arlington Heights might be a better option for you.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/02/05 23:52:03
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 337
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/05 23:18:05 (permalink)
This sounds awesome.  I will try to take a Saturday off to join you guys.

Danny
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 08:01:12 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
id
abe_froeman

Jenn is a born and bred native of the City of of Big Shoulders - accent and all!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 09:18:16 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
abe_froeman

Or Des Plaines, which is right off I-294.

Decisions, decisions.

If I'm able to attend there's a chance I'll drive down Friday and stay until Sunday like I did for the 2015 Hot Dog Crawl, when I ate here.  Arlington Heights would then give me the opportunity to eat here and that's important...why, I might even pick up the check if anyone wanted to join me!

wanderingjew

Jenn is a born and bred native of the City of of Big Shoulders - accent and all!

So then "Welcome home, glad you escaped!" is more in order!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 09:31:37 (permalink)
Sounds like a wonderful outing.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 10:51:17 (permalink)
Mr. Chicken, there are several hotels minutes from our house in AH:
Holiday Inn Express
Comfort Inn
Red Roof Inn
Wingate

All of those are about 30 seconds off 90 @ Arlington Heights Rd.

I'd offer you a spot on our guest futon, but we are temporarily housing a cat in that room.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 11:54:51 (permalink)
I am very interested and the stops are all 1st rate.  While we have a busy May and June, I'll see what gets selected!  Nice job Abe!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 12:52:49 (permalink)
abe_froeman
Holiday Inn Express
Comfort Inn
Red Roof Inn
Wingate

I'd offer you a spot on our guest futon, but we are temporarily housing a cat in that room.

Thanks for the info and the generous almost-offer, although if Mrs. C decides to come along I would've declined anyway.  The Comfort Inn and Wingate both seem to have decent reviews with interesting dining options nearby...does Johnnie's Beef serve breakfast?

I'll know for sure what dates work when we get our Brewers tickets.  Odds are we'll have at least 1 game and possibly 2 during the suggested window.
LAmuse Bouche
Junior Burger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 13:19:41 (permalink)
So, it looks like I can't PM yet:(
"You won't be able to send PMs until you have ...
been a member for at least 15 day(s)"
But thank you all for the welcome. And yes, i grew up in the midwest, glad to be back. Dale, congrats on your Pats win. But just to be clear, it is the New Englanders who have the accent:)
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 13:22:11 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
abe_froeman
Holiday Inn Express
Comfort Inn
Red Roof Inn
Wingate

Thanks for the info and the generous almost-offer, although if Mrs. C decides to come along I would've declined anyway.  The Comfort Inn and Wingate both seem to have decent reviews with interesting dining options nearby...does Johnnie's Beef serve breakfast?

I'll know for sure what dates work when we get our Brewers tickets.  Odds are we'll have at least 1 game and possibly 2 during the suggested window.

Do those really qualify as games or merely Sausagefests? 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 13:25:38 (permalink)
LAmuse Bouche
So, it looks like I can't PM yet:(
"You won't be able to send PMs until you have ...
been a member for at least 15 day(s)"
But thank you all for the welcome. And yes, i grew up in the midwest, glad to be back. Dale, congrats on your Pats win. But just to be clear, it is the New Englanders who have the accent:)

I totally agree, you both have accents. Since I'm originally from Long Island, I have no accent!

BTW, I bet Chi Town Diner or Chibears15 will be happy to give you a lift.
LAmuse Bouche
Junior Burger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 13:28:49 (permalink)
Thanks, this outing is in my stomping grounds:) But would love a ride to the Wisc events!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 13:53:31 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
...when I ate here.  Arlington Heights would then give me the opportunity to eat here and that's important...why, I might even pick up the check if anyone wanted to join me!

You must have made quite an impression on the Barnabians as you seem to be a featured part of their website.

Hmm...mediocre Pizza, paid for by somebody else...could be a possibility; I'm not proud.

FWIW, the folks over at LTHForum have singled out the Northbrook Barnaby's location as being superior to any of the others.  They've even given it their highest honor, The Great Neighborhood Restaurant Award, usually reserved for unique little joints like that other Pizza place in Morton Grove.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 15:01:57 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
You must have made quite an impression on the Barnabians as you seem to be a featured part of their website.

Look again...that's clearly ChiTownDiner circa 1985!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 17:27:52 (permalink)
LAmuse Bouche
But thank you all for the welcome. And yes, i grew up in the midwest, glad to be back.

Now you can finally get a decent pizza again!!

Are you a Chicago native or originally from elsewhere in the Midwest?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 17:37:44 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Hmm...mediocre Pizza, paid for by somebody else...could be a possibility; I'm not proud.

FWIW, the folks over at LTHForum have singled out the Northbrook Barnaby's location as being superior to any of the others.  They've even given it their highest honor, The Great Neighborhood Restaurant Award, usually reserved for unique little joints like that other Pizza place in Morton Grove.

Northbrook's a bit of a drive from Arlington Heights but I'll keep it in mind.  Since there are only 3 Chicago-area Barnaby's it's certainly not unrealistic to visit them all at some point.

I'm not sure where you come up "mediocre", though...this ain't New Jersey!

Morton Grove, Morton Grove...I think I ate pizza there once.  The name of the place was Little Burt's or Burt's Hut or something like that.

Abe, is that "Short something" place still open?  I know you and Mr. Maki and Buddy were talking about it as a breakfast stop back in 2015, and I think Joe Rogo might've gone there that Sunday.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/02/06 17:40:22
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 18:03:41 (permalink)
Do you mean L&L Snack Shop?  They were Mr. Maki's hang out during his high school years and have since become a Roadhouse family favorite.  Rogo went there on his own once, several years ago, and loved it.  Great breakfasts.  Outstanding omelets, pancakes, French toast, etc.  All of it served with a side of ham, sliced off the bone, whether you want it or not.

Not sure what other place you could mean.  A little more info might help.  Or a sawbuck, quietly passed on in a handshake.  Maybe abe has a better memory than me.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 18:08:21 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Do you mean L&L Snack Shop?  They were Mr. Maki's hang out during his high school years and have since become a Roadhouse family favorite.  Rogo went there on his own once, several years ago, and loved it.  Great breakfasts.  Outstanding omelets, pancakes, French toast, etc.  All of it served with a side of ham, sliced off the bone, whether you want it or not.

Not sure what other place you could mean.  A little more info might help.  Or a sawbuck, quietly passed on in a handshake.  Maybe abe has a better memory than me.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Nope, you got it right - L&L is the place I was thinking of.  And who doesn't want ham?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/06 18:29:21 (permalink)
Rabbi Goldstein.  Although, oddly enough, he doesn't mind Bacon.  Go figure.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/08 09:37:16 (permalink)
Johnnie's Beef doesn't open until 11am, but they're open until midnight, so maybe a late night snack after our outing?  Or get it the night before when you get into town?

I've heard that the quality slides a bit as it gets closer to closing time.  The words of wisdom I heard were, "if it smells like beef when you go in, you're good.  If it smells like cleaning products, come back another day."

L & L would be a good choice for breakfast, but maybe on Sunday morning- you won't be hungry for the first three-quarters of Saturday if you have it then!
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/02/08 12:30:21 (permalink)
I would be very interested... send me the Doodle 
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 215
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/03/02 20:17:04 (permalink)
I'm interested. I'm available all those Saturdays except 6-17.
Thanks, Chuck
LAmuse Bouche
Junior Burger
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/03/05 12:30:04 (permalink)
I am interested in the excursion and the doodle poll. To answer the earlier question, I am from Joliet originally.
post edited by LAmuse Bouche - 2017/03/05 12:33:47
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: Proposed Contingent Outing: Late May/June- French Market/Chinatown/Eataly via Water Ta 2017/03/05 14:02:29 (permalink)
I am interested, could you please send me the Doodle poll.

Thanks

Chris
Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5