Hot!OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11859
2015/08/18 14:38:45 (permalink)

OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!!

http://howlinrays.com/

I've got to go tomorrow.  But what do I order?  At Prince's Hot Chicken medium was VERY hot.  Do I start with Hot?  Do I buy a medium and a hot?

OMG!!!

Love being excited over food.  I'm going to eat food from a truck!

Excited!

47 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22975
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 14:52:31 (permalink)
    We have a hot chicken food truck here, and they also have a stand in the North Market in Columbus.

http://www.hotchickentakeover.com/
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8682
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 15:04:30 (permalink)
    Could it be there's finally a reason to visit Columbus?!?
    billyboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2916
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 15:28:51 (permalink)
    Whoa!  Slow your roll there, Mar!  Start with the medium, see how you respond to it and proceed accordingly.  I've seen a lot of people get super excited about a new place, over order and then immediately regret it.  When we got our first VCR in 1985, my dad went out and rented FIVE 24-hour rental VHS tapes on the first day.  I think we watched two of them.    

That mustardy potato salad and the pimento cheese mac salad both sound pretty good.  Hope you report back on it.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 15:36:11 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    We have a hot chicken food truck here, and they also have a stand in the North Market in Columbus.

Michael, why haven't you tried it?  (I know, I know) 

Take Lisa there!  They might have wings!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 15:38:41 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Could it be there's finally a reason to visit Columbus?!?

I suppose it's possible. But I'd make the trip for the fried bologna sandwich at G&R Tavern in Waldo, a slice of pie at Henry's in West Jefferson, a few burgers at Crabill's in Urbana and the Broasted chicken at Bush's in Logan.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 15:46:18 (permalink)
    Billyboy....  I've got to know right away if I will like the hot!  But if it's too hot I'll want the medium to eat and then I'll do something else with the hot to tone it down.  Yes... I need both!

I'll first ask the proprietor if they've had Prince's Hot Chicken to compare heat level.  Then I'll still order both!

I might also ask some of the people that have finished eating theirs.  Hmmmm,  but it's a truck.  Maybe everyone takes their order home.

I'll report back!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 15:48:13 (permalink)
    mar52
    Michael Hoffman

Oh, she wants to try it. Actually, their food truck has been in Gahanna a few times, and it's supposed to be here again this weekend. But we'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend.
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10365
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 17:47:26 (permalink)
    Cant wait to hear about it, Mar. The sides sound really good, too!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9588
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 18:57:48 (permalink)
    Nashville Chicken. Maryland chicken in another post. Anyone for North Dakota chicken?????
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 21:31:35 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Actually, their food truck has been in Gahanna a few times, and it's supposed to be here again this weekend.

Convince them to have the truck somewhere along US-68 next Thursday so I can try the chicken, please.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 22:09:53 (permalink)

Yeah, but can you get waffles on the side?

Buddy
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7501
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 22:43:25 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Nashville Chicken. Maryland chicken in another post. Anyone for North Dakota chicken?????

Only if it comes on a pizzahut pizza so we can share the photos
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9588
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 22:45:05 (permalink)
    CajunKing
    leethebard

Only if it comes on a pizzahut pizza so we can share the photos

I'll get on that!!!!!
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/18 22:49:24 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

I wonder if Roscoe's will jump on the idea.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7072
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/19 06:39:07 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

They don't serve waffles on the side of Hot Chicken in Nashville, either.

That would be like eating Eastern Carolina 'Cue with the sweet, sticky Texas brisket sauce.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11621
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/19 12:03:49 (permalink)
    Get a medium and a hot and lots of sides and take pictures!!!!!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/19 14:30:30 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

They don't serve waffles on the side of Hot Chicken in Nashville, either.

That would be like eating Eastern Carolina 'Cue with the sweet, sticky Texas brisket sauce.

I know they don't serve waffles on the side in Nashville.  The joke was, because Nashville Hot Chicken is coming to Los Angeles, where Chicken & Waffles is a cultural icon, will the newcomers try to adapt to local customs by serving Waffles.

mar52, a Southern Californian, got the joke.  Apologies to anyone who didn't get it.

Buddy
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10365
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/19 15:59:30 (permalink)

mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/19 22:56:21 (permalink)
    Buddy!

What a wonderful evening standing at a truck!

The announcement on http://howlinrays.com/ said that the truck would be a couple miles from home from 5PM to 11PM.  I got there at 4:30PM and had the pleasure of talking to Chris, who was setting up the truck.  Chris hasn't been to Tennessee but he was happy to hear about my trip to Prince's Hot Chicken.  I told him that I wasn't sure whether to get one medium and one hot and he suggested that I taste the different sauces which the chicken is dipped in after frying.  Chris gave me a small sample of each.  The chicken wasn't there yet as it was on the way from the commissary.

The medium sauce was delicious.  Odd tasting it by itself because the liquid part of it is oil.  Had a real good burn to it.  Then I tasted the hot sauce.  Very hot and I decided that I wanted to enjoy the chicken so I was going to order 2 orders of the medium... one dark (my favorite) and one white... just to try.

When the owner, Chef Johnny Zone drove up with the chicken and salads Chris told him all about me.  Johnny is so cool!  We shook hands several times, he made sure he knew my name and we talked all about chicken, Tennessee and Venice, California.

He let me know that I could eat my chicken next door at The Brig (a bar) and I didn't even have to purchase a drink.  The truck was parked in the Brig's parking lot.  I told him I would like it to go.  I didn't want strangers seeing my delight when eating.  I have driven by The Brig ever since I've been able to drive which is almost 50 years.  Yikes!  It always looked so cool with that boxer on the sign but I've never gone in or even parked in the area.

I placed my order and added 2 more sides so I could taste all four.  I also bought a couple drinks.

When standing there talking I noticed a write up on Chef Johnny.  I was talking to someone who worked under Gordon Ramsey, Nobu Matsuhisa and Thomas Keller.  (Is it bad that I don't know of Thomas Keller?)

When it was time for Johnny (We are on first name basis after all) to give me my order he told me he was giving me the extra sides and drinks.  How nice!  He also gave me a bunch of his hot chicken stickers!  One or two will go on my kayak.  OH!  He also gave me some of his home made pickle slices.  Very good!  I was expecting sweet pickles but his dills didn't disappoint.

I'm telling you, he's so easy to talk to, nice and....

He serves my favorite fried chicken!  Nashville Hot!

MY HUNT IS OVER!

Tonight's dinner was the dark quarter and it was Oh My Gawd Good!  I've never had juicier chicken, not even at Prince's.  The medium sauce calmed down a bit on the chicken and I think next time, and there will be a next time I'll order the Hot.  The Hot sauce has a different blend of chile powder in it.

Tonight I ate the grilled cabbage cole slaw and the pimento macaroni salad.  Both excellent!  I'd like the cole slaw without the mustard seeds, but that's just because I don't care for mustard seeds.  The cabbage was grilled and there was slivered apple pieces in the slaw that added a sweetness.

The pimento macaroni salad was heavenly!  I love macaroni salad and this is way up there with the best of them.

Tomorrow night I'll have the white quarter with the other two salads.  Can't wait!

Johnny, thank you so much for being clever (and cool) and starting a truck with something not offered at Los Angeles restaurants. 

I ate truck food and loved it!

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 08:16:56 (permalink)
    So, Mar...did you like the chicken?
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1338
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 10:09:31 (permalink)
    MAR - Your review is now featured on their website!
    hatteras04
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 10:14:38 (permalink)
    mar52
    Michael Hoffman

I've been to the one in the North Market one and I thought it was excellent.  I've only had true Nashville Hot Chicken once at Bolton's at 9:00 at night (my wife still talks about that little adventure).  I also had it once in Ashville, NC which I also thought was very good.  Anyways, I thought the version here was spot on.  I ordered the hot and it was plenty spicy for me complete with sweating and tears.  But I loved every painful minute of it.  They just have mac and cheese (average to good) and cole slaw (not my style) as sides.  They also provide free homemade ranch and sweet tea. The problem with it is that while it is good, there is always a really long line so you really have to want it to commit to waiting.  
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 11:39:15 (permalink)
    mar
    All I can say is YAY!!!!!!
    That chicken looks awesome, as do the sides!  I told you to get one of both!  Glad the folks were so friendly but really, really, mar, shame on you for not knowing who Thomas Keller is. 

hatteras04
    We'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend but when we get back I am definitely going to North Market for some hot chicken.  I don't care if I do have to stand in line!!! 
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 12:26:56 (permalink)
    Oh my.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't connect him to The French Laundry which is probably California's best restaurant.

Hanging my head.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 12:32:00 (permalink)
    I just Googled Johnny Zone and he's impressive!  Interesting that he's moved to a truck. 

I was happy to see a line forming when I got my chicken last night.  Johnny has a following!

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 13:05:07 (permalink)
    mar52
    Oh my.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't connect him to The French Laundry which is probably California's best restaurant.

Hanging my head.

As well you should!  A California native that never heard of Thomas Keller.  Tsk.  Tsk.  For many years it was considered the best restaurant in the US.

I Googled Johnny Zone too.  I can totally understand opening a food truck.  It's called "fine dining burn-out".  All those little plates, the precision of perfect sauces, perfect garnishes, perfect everything.  In a food truck with hot chicken you can have FUN!  And talk to your clientele!  His tattoo is interesting.  The French translates to "In crossing this storm, we go".  You got a winner, mar!

hatteras04
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 14:07:46 (permalink)
    lleechef
    mar
    That chicken looks awesome, as do the sides!  I told you to get one of both!  Glad the folks were so friendly but really, really, mar, shame on you for not knowing who Thomas Keller is. 

hatteras04
    We'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend but when we get back I am definitely going to North Market for some hot chicken.  I don't care if I do have to stand in line!!! 

Actually I was just looking at their facebook page and it looks like going on a Wednesday or Thursday is the way to go (only open Wed-Sun 11-3 or until they run out).  They are very good about updating their status with number of pieces left and line length.  Both yesterday and today had posts with no line.  I of course went on a Saturday at noon so I was grateful that I was inside the door.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 20:54:19 (permalink)
    Just finished the breast and wing.  It's better right out of the fryer but it sure isn't bad the next day heated up in the microwave.  The crispy coating wasn't but the heat level shined through.  The white meat was still moist!

Delicious!

Tonight's sides were the blackeyed pea salad and the mustard potato salad.

The blackeyed pea salad was a refreshing pairing to the richness of the chicken.  The dressing was vinegar and maybe a bit too acidic for me.  It's made out of blackeyed peas, fresh tomatoes, diced onions and diced green onions.  The onions gave it a little crunch.

The potato salad was quite good with lots of fresh dill weed.  Not the sweet variety I usually like.

From all of the salads I like the pimento macaroni and cheese the best followed by the potato salad.  I don't think I'd order the cole slaw or black eyed pea salad again which is just as well as the chicken comes with your choice of one side. 

Howlin' Ray's is a definite winner!

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: OMG!!! Nashville Hot Chicken in Los Angeles!!! 2015/08/20 23:02:53 (permalink)
    hatteras04
    lleechef
    mar

hatteras04

Actually I was just looking at their facebook page and it looks like going on a Wednesday or Thursday is the way to go (only open Wed-Sun 11-3 or until they run out).  They are very good about updating their status with number of pieces left and line length.  Both yesterday and today had posts with no line.  I of course went on a Saturday at noon so I was grateful that I was inside the door.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Thanks for that info. We tend to eat a late lunch.  No, let me clarify that.......I eat a late lunch!  Usually around 2PM.  So I think we'll try it next Wed. or Thurs.  That's if I have any room left for food after the insane weekend of eating in Pittsburgh! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5