Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4086
2017/07/17 18:16:27 (permalink)

Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW

My son and I made the trip from Maryland to Lewisburg, PA to pick my grandson up from a wrestling camp he was attending at Bucknell.  On the way home, we stopped at Jigsy’s Brewpub and Restaurant in Enola, PA which is a few miles north of Harrisburg on Route 15.  We had driven by Jigsy’s for years as the “Old Forge Style Pizza” sign was intriguing, but surely this would be a sad imitation of the fabled style of pizza from northeast PA that we have come to love?  They couldn’t possibly produce a credible version of the pizza that made Old Forge renowned among pizza lovers and Roadfooders everywhere, could they? Well, in short, the answer is that if you dropped Jigsy’s right in the middle of Old Forge, PA, they could stand side-by-side and go toe-to-toe with some of the legendary establishments in that town.  And more than just turning out an outstanding version of Old Forge style pizza, despite having a pizza shop look on the outside, Jigsy’s turns out to be a beautiful, family run restaurant, with a fireplace, a range of house made micro brews, and a nice bar area to watch TV, nicely appointed tables for more “formal” dining, and a wonderful back deck for outdoor enjoyment (they also have a very nice wheelchair ramp leading up to that deck and into the restaurant). We had a traditional red tray of pizza and it was fabulous.  For those unfamiliar with Old Forge style pizza, they are served on a tray, in a square shape with pieces cut into squares.  The best versions have a crunchy bottom dough, light, fluffy interior dough, homemade sauce, and a cheese blend that is as gooey and messy as it is delicious.  Jigsy’s produces a classic example of the traditional red and it was fabulous.  Jigsy’s also has Appetizers, Soups, Wings, Salads, Subs, Italian Entrees to complement 5 different kinds of Old Forge pizza, along with double crust pizzas, traditional single crust pizzas, and Strombolis.  If you love Old Forge style pizza, or if you are curious to try it, I cannot recommend Jigsy’s highly enough.  It is owned by a family originally from the Old Forge area that moved their business to Harrisburg about 15 years ago.  Go and enjoy, you will not be disappointed!   

post edited by Greymo - 2017/07/18 10:52:55

5 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11404
    Re: Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW 2017/07/17 20:33:36 (permalink)
    Sounds, very good!  But alas, it's on the other side of the world!
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5056
    Re: Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW 2017/07/18 06:40:22 (permalink)
    I wonder how they came up with the name....the owner is Migsey?  His parents had a bar/restaurant, Joe Shag's, in Pittston.  Glad to hear Migsey is doing a good job with the pizza, nice write-up Kay.

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 11975
    Re: Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW 2017/07/18 08:15:48 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the recommendation Greymo.  We are spending a weekend in Central Pennsylvania coming up and this sounds like a very worthwhile stop.
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re: Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW 2017/07/18 10:20:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recommendation! My wife and I regularly take Rt. 15 through PA. to visit our son in Ithaca NY. Enola is a little less than half-way from Herndon, VA to Ithaca and we'll have to stop there for lunch on our next trip.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4086
    Re: Old Forge Pizza Just outsde Harrisburg, Pa. WOW 2017/07/18 14:27:29 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Thanks so much for the recommendation Greymo.  We are spending a weekend in Central Pennsylvania coming up and this sounds like a very worthwhile stop.

Great!  I understand that the house made peanut butter pie is very good.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5