Old-fashioned donuts at Yum Yum Donuts in Chicago

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1123
2016/04/11 21:59:03 (permalink)

Old-fashioned donuts at Yum Yum Donuts in Chicago

Anyone else remember this place? It used to be in the parking lot just west of Wrigley Field. Disappeared about 25 years ago. Anyway, the shop was a bit of a dump, and always seemed to smell of cigarette smoke. But they had an old-fashioned donut I'm still dreaming about and have never encountered the like since. it was large, melted in your mouth and had a good crunch on the outside. Does anyone know where, preferably in the Chicago area, to find a donut like this? Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6078
    Re: Old-fashioned donuts at Yum Yum Donuts in Chicago 2016/04/11 22:40:45 (permalink)
    I do remember Yum-Yum although I can't recall ever eating there.  FWIW, the Yum-Yum building and sign near Wrigley always reminded me of another Chicagoland doughnut institution, Amy Joy Donuts.  Their Milwaukee Avenue location in Niles is long gone, but there's another one on the northwest side which is linked above.

Also, if there's anything else you'd like to remember about the neighborhood immediately surrounding Wrigley Field, you'd better get down there now to snap a picture.  The Ricketts family is making radical changes to that area.  Except for the ballpark itself, I suspect Clark & Addison will be near unrecognizable a year from now.

As to your bigger question, there's a sudden renaissance of very-good-to-great donuts in the Chicago area.  Firecakes (you're welcome for listing them first; you know who you are), Doughnut Vault, Glazed and Infused, Do-Rite Donuts, and Stan's are among the best known in the higher end category.

There's also Huck Finn Donuts, a long time Chicago institution.  When I was kid, up through my college days, they used to have a little hole in the wall carry out location at the Howard Street EL station.  Although it's long gone, there are several locations for the restaurants.

Good luck on your doughnut journey.

Buddy
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11732
    Re: Old-fashioned donuts at Yum Yum Donuts in Chicago 2016/04/11 22:48:10 (permalink)
    We had Yum Yums.  I always thought it funny and I never corrected a friend when she called it VUM VUM Donuts.  The signs sort of looked like it could say that.

I wanted to Vell.... think about it!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5