Helpful ReplyHot!Omelettes

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11092
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/10 14:00:21 (permalink)
I buy those silicone pot holders at the 99¢ Store and I use them for everything but one of the places I put them is between pans.  They don't scratch that way and they don't make noise when putting them away!
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 467
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/10 18:01:31 (permalink)
I should say, wow.I certainly do appreciate you all's feedback on how to make an omelette. I had no idea they could be so special. I had a feeling I was missing the idea. I think, once, thirty years ago, I had part of a nice omelette at my brother's house but I was not in the kitchen at the time so I can't tell you anything about it. Otherwise, I've never had anything as nice as what y'all are showing.Ooh.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3043
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/10 19:05:35 (permalink)
mlm
I should say, wow.I certainly do appreciate you all's feedback on how to make an omelette. I had no idea they could be so special. I had a feeling I was missing the idea. I think, once, thirty years ago, I had part of a nice omelette at my brother's house but I was not in the kitchen at the time so I can't tell you anything about it. Otherwise, I've never had anything as nice as what y'all are showing.Ooh.

Watch the Jacques Pepin video shared by RodBangkok.

The classic omelette takes a few tries, but you should be able to get a good one on about the 4th or 5th try. The biggest challenge for that one is the amount of heat; too hot or too cool and it sticks.

The country omelette is pretty easy, if the first one isn't right then the second one will be.

They are both delicious, but in different ways. I have to say that the texture of a righteous classic omelette is most delightful, and a classic omelette is best with few fillings, if any. Don't call that heresy until you've tried it. Omelettes are not scrambled eggs, and a plain classic omelette is not scrambled eggs. The texture is creamy and smooth.

Now that country omelette, that is one hearty son of a gun. Stuff that sucker with whatever floats your intestines. I go for bacon and cheddar and mushroom, sometimes onion.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2968
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/10 20:55:11 (permalink)
Mosca, when you look at the makings of a French omelet you realize every part of making it is important. Nothing is "JUST" throw the eggs in and flip it over. It is a delicate method that gives you fluffy tender creamy eggs. Now you should look into farm fresh eggs and keep them at room temp. 
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/10 22:39:46 (permalink)
pnwchef
Mosca, when you look at the makings of a French omelet you realize every part of making it is important. Nothing is "JUST" throw the eggs in and flip it over. It is a delicate method that gives you fluffy tender creamy eggs. Now you should look into farm fresh eggs and keep them at room temp. 

Yep, it took a while to understand: beat the eggs, but not too little or too much, heat the eggs, but not too little or too much, season the eggs, but not too little or too much. And you can't substitute margarine for butter; the texture changes and they don't behave the same. And you can't add the filling to the eggs, or pour the eggs around the filling like they do in omelette stations, the texture vanishes.

I let my eggs warm up, but I do start with regular store bought refrigerated eggs. I had a line on farm fresh eggs, but it vanished about 6 years ago.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7435
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/11 08:12:59 (permalink)
Mosca
I had a great herb garden on the deck this summer, and every Sunday I made classic fines herbes omelettes (substituted basil for chervil) using Pepin's method. They were some of the best omelettes ever.

That looks like some decent bacon, too.

I tried my hand at an omelette (quite possibly the first one I've ever made) this past Sunday.  If Jacques Pepin had seen the process and end result he'd probably still be laughing.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/10/11 08:14:00
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2968
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/11 08:48:03 (permalink)
Mosca
pnwchef

Yep, it took a while to understand: beat the eggs, but not too little or too much, heat the eggs, but not too little or too much, season the eggs, but not too little or too much. And you can't substitute margarine for butter; the texture changes and they don't behave the same. And you can't add the filling to the eggs, or pour the eggs around the filling like they do in omelette stations, the texture vanishes.

I let my eggs warm up, but I do start with regular store bought refrigerated eggs. I had a line on farm fresh eggs, but it vanished about 6 years ago.

Mosca, I would bet Pepin never used Margarine in his life. Most people don't realize how much heat is still on the bottom of the pan when it's taken off the burner. When I'm making the omelet I do it more like I've been doing it for 30 years on the front line. After I flip the omelet I take it off the burner and put the cheese on top. After about 30 seconds I fold onto the plate. The heat from the eggs when folding over the omelet melts the cheese. The Pepin method is a much more delicate, softer way of making a herb omelet. This is the reason I never buy an omelet in a restaurant. You will also never see the Pepin method in restaurants unless it's in a fine dining restaurant. The Pepin method for making an omelet will also help in making your scrambled eggs a better product. You should be proud of the results you got on your omelet. 
  I'm not sure where you live. Im my area most of the people who sell eggs are on Craigs list and local Nickel ads that people use for selling local items. If you could find local access for your farm fresh eggs you will love the omelets even more.......
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/11 10:44:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 1bbqboy 2016/10/12 11:40:40
pnwchef
The Pepin method for making an omelet will also help in making your scrambled eggs a better product. You should be proud of the results you got on your omelet. 

Oh, without question, I noticed that! Lower, slower, keep 'em moving in the pan. I get nice consistently tasty eggs, no rubberiness and no runniness. I actually put them in the pan, stir them up, and then turn the heat off and fold them over and over. They get nicely layered and evenly done that way.

I did a country omelette this morning, I have to use up some cheddar because I bought a block not realizing I already had one. (Tough situation, I know you all can sympathize.) It came out pretty much exactly like I expected it to. (Blueberry blintz and country wheat toast, I didn't make either. The blintz was not very good but the dog liked it.)

post edited by Mosca - 2016/10/11 10:47:36
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11098
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/11 11:40:55 (permalink)
mosca
Nice looking omelette, as was your one with fines herbes

ScreamingChicken
You should have taken a picture of yours.  I could use a good laugh!! 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7435
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/11 12:30:01 (permalink)
Fortunately it tasted (leftover grilled steak, mushrooms, parmesan cheese) better than it looked!
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2471
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/12 09:47:36 (permalink)
It looks like there are as many ways to make one as there cooks who cook them........

When I looked at the videos, and the follow on suggested videos, each looked good in it's own way, except for the one that was almost deep fried, and brown......and had to be drained several times. (belch)
lleechef
Porterhouse
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/18 12:13:57 (permalink)
For those of you that really love omelettes, there's this.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11815
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/19 01:33:32 (permalink)
lleechef

Forget the car show and parade of chefs--  I wanna see the Chicken that laid all those eggs!!
post edited by Foodbme - 2016/10/19 01:34:35
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6757
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/20 13:42:42 (permalink)
lleechef

Been to Abbeville many times. One of my favorite Louisiana towns. 
lleechef
Porterhouse
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/20 14:33:41 (permalink)
Davydd
lleechef

Been to Abbeville many times. One of my favorite Louisiana towns. 

Cool!  I never heard of it, never been there and certainly don't want any parts of cracking 5,000 eggs!!!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/20 16:04:03 (permalink)
tmiles
It looks like there are as many ways to make one as there cooks who cook them........

When I looked at the videos, and the follow on suggested videos, each looked good in it's own way...

Indeed, just like making paellas...
lleechef
Porterhouse
RE: Omelettes 2016/10/20 18:57:59 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
tmiles

When I looked at the videos, and the follow on suggested videos, each looked good in it's own way...

Indeed, just like making paellas...

Every paella I ever ate in Spain, Pays Basque in France and Portugal was pretty much the same. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5