One dinner in New Orleans

Author
lreiss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2004/04/03 09:11:50 (permalink)

One dinner in New Orleans

If you could have one dinner in New Orleans, where would you go? Doesn't have to be reasonably priced either--we're looking for a wonderful experience.

7 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1757
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/04/03 10:56:25 (permalink)
    Galatoires. This is the quintessential High Creole experience. In my book they serve the definitive version of Shrimp Remoulade, and the richly sauced fish dihes are worth every calorie. Just don't fill up on the terrific french bread. Have the cafe brulot for the ritual. Closed on Mondays, I think. Also probably a review on this site.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/04/03 11:34:45 (permalink)
    More on Galatoire's. I agree with Signman about the food; and they have begun accepting reservations (you will be upstairs). Service is wonderful: attentive but not overwhelming. One caveat: it's noisy!
    FrauToasty
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/04/07 11:09:34 (permalink)
    There's a new restaurant named Ralph's on the Park, owned by a member of the famous Brennan family. Just last week it got a fabulous review by the New Orleans restaurant critic. I can't wait to try it out. It's on City Park Avenue across from City Park.
    bandman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/05/03 20:57:07 (permalink)
    Mandina's on Canal Street is far and away the best restaurant in New Orleans for local fare! It is the quintessential neighborhood restaurant. I suggest the seafood, but you cannot go wrong with anything on the menu!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/05/04 00:08:06 (permalink)
    lreiss,
    My suggestions: if the ersters are running and the place is thus open, go to Casamento's on Magazine Street for an erster loaf and a serving of daube. If not, and you're there on a weekend, head on through the quarter and get on St. Claude Avenue; proceed to Mandich's on St. Claude in the Bywater for their evening repast. They're open at night only on weekends. If you are there on Wednesday or Thursday and wanna splurge a tad, head out U. S. 90, cross the Huey P. Long Bridge, and keep going until you come to Waggaman, where you'll find Mosca's. You'll have to wait, but it's well worth it.
    If sor some reason none of those work, go to Mother's on Poydras Street. Have a debris or a Ferdi Special and be glad to be alive. Everything there is good.
    If that somehow fails, The Hummingbird Hotel Cafe on St. Charles near Lee Circle is ALWAYS open and you'll never go wrong there, although the place most certainly looks suspect at best... at very best.
    I could list more, but this is enough to generate some responses. Hope we've helped you.
    Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Chillified Athens, Georgia.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3576
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/05/04 07:47:20 (permalink)
    Gumbo Shop Our favorite dish is crawfish etouffee in the patio room. www.gumboshop.com
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: One dinner in New Orleans 2004/05/04 09:07:19 (permalink)
    Very tough question. Galatoire's is wonderful. But for starters, I would drop in at Felix for some oysters on the half shell and a Dixie beer.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5