Only in SF?

Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2004/08/18 20:00:09 (permalink)

Only in SF?

From this morning's restaurant review column in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Recently, I stopped for a drink at AsiaSF, the small-plate eatery and gender-illusionist bar-restaurant in San Francisco's SoMa (BT note--South of Market neighborhood). While I was chatting with co-owner Skip Young, I saw two patrons pour sake into ceramic sake cups, and then to my surprise submerge them in their half-filled mugs of beer, which they then downed. Young said this combo is called a sake bomb.

Bartender Carlos Lobo described another concoction, the depth charge, in which a shot glass is filled with Amaretto, topped with a float of 151-proof rum, ignited and submerged in a half-filled mug of beer. He said it tastes like a flaming Dr. Pepper.

While I sipped my classic martini, Young told me that another of the gender illusionists -- they wait tables as well as perform elaborate lip- synching routines on the bar -- had just gotten breast implants. I asked him if any of the performers, all Asian and all male, ever went all the way, surgically, to become a woman.

"A few have, but then they always get married and move to the suburbs,'' Young said.

AsiaSF is located at 201 Ninth St. (at Howard).

Now tell the truth, all you Roadfooders; you don't have anything like this in YOUR town, do you?

5 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: Only in SF? 2004/08/18 21:14:21 (permalink)
    We have cross dressing places but they are for cross dressing folks only.. which is just fine with me.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Only in SF? 2004/08/18 22:52:45 (permalink)
    That's the difference. Here they are for everybody. Actually, there are other (seedier) places for the cross-dressing patrons. This place is very popular with young trendies, male and female, or so I read. I, myself, have never been tempted to try anything like a "depth charge" or to mix with those drinking them.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: Only in SF? 2004/08/18 22:57:03 (permalink)
    I've heard of the place, and actually made a reservation, but then changed it for Bacar (big disappointment)...
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Only in SF? 2004/08/19 00:57:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper
    Lucky Cheng's on 1st Avenue around 3rd street in Manhattan. Nearly identical to the place described above. It's been doing the all-Asian-transvestite-karaoke thing for at least a decade.

OK, now that you mention it, I've heard of Lucky Cheng's and I would have assumed New York would have something like this, but can we get beyond the bicoastal axis?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Only in SF? 2004/08/19 01:00:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I've heard of the place, and actually made a reservation

Jennifer, I would have guessed . . . .
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5