Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-A sadly under researched article that duped me

Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6078
2018/03/10 18:48:18 (permalink)

Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-A sadly under researched article that duped me

Apologies to my Pittsburgh friends and everyone else who read article linked below:

An article in the current online issue of Saveur magazine "exposes" the true origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich.  Its steel mill credentials may be a bit rusty.  The author says it's still a "Working Man's Sandwich" but the workers served may actually have been far from the mills.  Interesting read.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/03/12 18:28:54

23 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22867
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/10 19:47:00 (permalink)
    Buddy,

I have to tell you, this is the first I've ever heard about the Primanti Brothers sandwiches ever being for steelworkers. I'd always heard it was for the truck drivers unloading produce.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/10 23:12:07 (permalink)
    Michael, I suspect the reason you know the true story is because you were there unloading the truck when that first sandwich was served.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/11 09:43:18 (permalink)
    Now wait just a damn minute ... .
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5225
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/11 10:26:19 (permalink)
    You can say just about anything you want about Michael, but calling him a Pittsburgher is going way too far. Harrumph.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11610
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/11 10:56:05 (permalink)
    Michael is not a Yinzer but I am!!!  He wouldn't even taste one until I begged him and he liked it.
    The sandwich had nothing to do with steel workers.  The famous sandwich that has fries and coleslaw was created for the drivers and workers in the Strip district.  It was simply an entire meal between two slices of bread.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5536
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/11 14:58:31 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Michael, I suspect the reason you know the true story is because you were there unloading the truck when that first sandwich was served.

Buddy

Everyone knows that's not true because horse drawn carts were the conveyances of Michael's youth.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6880
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 10:17:19 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Buddy,

I have to tell you, this is the first I've ever heard about the Primanti Brothers sandwiches ever being for steelworkers. I'd always heard it was for the truck drivers unloading produce.
    lleechef
    Michael is not a Yinzer but I am!!!  He wouldn't even taste one until I begged him and he liked it.
    The sandwich had nothing to do with steel workers.  The famous sandwich that has fries and coleslaw was created for the drivers and workers in the Strip district.  It was simply an entire meal between two slices of bread.

As a Yinzer and - in my youth - a member of the United Steelworkers of America I can assure all that:

1)  The Hoffman's have the straight story, the only one I ever heard before the article in Saveur.
    2)  That the author of the article: a) has never been in a steel mill and b) knows anyone who has.

Here's the deal.  You walk in with your lunch box and clock in allowing yourself enough time to stow the box and report to your shop before the whistle for your shift blows.  You foreman will tell you when to break for lunch and you have 20 minutes.  And you'd better be back to work before the 20 minutes.  When the shift whistle blows you make sure that your later-shift counterpart has reported, then you go to the wash room to clean up, gather your lunchbox, then clock out and leave.

The thought of anyone leaving the mill during their shift is risible, much less than to venture to the Strip and grab a sandwich from Primanti's or any restaurant.  BTW, my description above was for 1965 - 1969; I know that we had much more freedom then than they did in the 1930's!  It was a character-forming experience that led me to savor all the more the leisurely faculty lunches at the university and my later "executive lunches" - especially the ones that were room service at the Marriott!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12191
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 10:23:12 (permalink)
    I'm with fellow Yinzers lleechef and MetroplexJim.  This supposed steel workers origin story is news to me.   
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11610
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 12:25:27 (permalink)
    The most ridiculous part of the story is "rushed steelworkers on a quick break from the mill".  WHAT??  The only break steelworkers got was some time to go eat what they brought with them, then back to work!  Nobody punched out and roamed around town looking for lunch!    
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 15:48:56 (permalink)

As I suspected (knew), the author never worked in a mill or knows anyone who did. 

Evidently, she is happily ensconced in her NYC media/academic bubble where she writes and illustrates very creatively whilst waiting patiently for the Atlantic to overwhelm her abode. 

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 16:11:48 (permalink)
    I'll bet she doesn't eat meat.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 16:26:13 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    I'll bet she doesn't eat meat.

Could be, but she could still get a "veggie" Primanti's - fries, slaw; hold the capicola. 

If she's not a strict vegan she could add a fried egg. 

But they would probably fry it in bacon grease and that bread is definitely not gluten-free.

Better to remain in the bubble.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 17:40:07 (permalink)
    After posting a link to this thread over at LTHForum.com, where I found the original link to the Saveur article, I discovered that the original poster who provided the link did so sarcastically.  He, like the Pittsburghers here, found the article to be ludicrous and without merit.  Unfortunately, his sarcasm didn't come through in his introduction to the article.

All of this raises the bigger question; where's the editorial oversight at Saveur?  It took less than 24 hours here at Roadfood to determine the article's author doesn't know beans about her alleged hometown.  When she opens her article with, "If you ask anyone from Pittsburgh about the history of the city’s beloved 'Pittsburgh sandwich', they all tell you the same things...," the anyone she's referring to must be from a very small sampling of equally uninformed family and friends.

Okay, she's obviously just a kid laboring under a misconception, but presumably her editors have a bit more experience and should have done their own confirmation of "the facts".  Failing that, they've made the author and themselves look foolish, and now me, who assumed an article published in a respected food magazine would be reasonably accurate.

Ah well, live and learn.  Or not, whatever.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 19:22:46 (permalink)
    Buddy,

Nothing for you to feel foolish about.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 19:22:46 (permalink)
    Buddy,

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/12 19:27:04 (permalink)
    That's right. Any opportunity to make fun of Michael's age is time well spent.
    :)
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8376
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/03/13 00:24:37 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    All of this raises the bigger question; where's the editorial oversight at Saveur?

And will this story get any legs in Pittsburgh?  Will the Post-Gazette take Saveur to whatever task necessary?

Michael Hoffman
    Buddy,

In this thread.  Otherwise...
    fike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/04/05 22:36:33 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse 
    Okay, she's obviously just a kid laboring under a misconception, but presumably her editors have a bit more experience and should have done their own confirmation of "the facts".  Failing that, they've made the author and themselves look foolish, and now me, who assumed an article published in a respected food magazine would be reasonably accurate.

Ah well, live and learn.  Or not, whatever.

Buddy

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, I guess
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/04/06 08:43:29 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Buddy,

Agreed!

In fact, when I read your first post I thought you were being sarcastic and sneering at the rank silliness of the article - especially considering that, in it, you put "exposes" in quotes.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/04/06 13:45:46 (permalink)
    Jim, those quotation marks may have been part of my edit of the post, after I discovered the inaccuracy of the article.  I have to admit, I was fully taken in initially, until my fellow Roadfooders set me straight.

Thanks anyway for the kind words.

Buddy
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/04/09 10:03:40 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Jim, those quotation marks may have been part of my edit of the post, after I discovered the inaccuracy of the article.  I have to admit, I was fully taken in initially, until my fellow Roadfooders set me straight.

Buddy

Diogenes is looking for you!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/04/09 14:40:57 (permalink)
    I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3521
    Re: Origins of the Primanti Bros. Sandwich-The BIG LIE! Okay, not so big and more of a fi 2018/04/10 15:27:08 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Diogenes is looking for you!

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5