Helpful ReplyHot!Our Year in Roadfood - 2018

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10369
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 10:48:01 (permalink)
I always look forward to your yearly report, BB, and so far this one doesn't disappoint!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7189
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 12:34:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/12/21 12:44:20
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster
Best neon of 2018:

Retina burn!!

My two favorites:

For its being an elegant exemplar of Art Deco --

For reminding me of Grace Kelly offering Cary Grant "A leg or a breast"?

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10573
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 14:28:07 (permalink)

buffetbuster
It wasn't necessarily planned this way, but we revisited some classic Roadfood places that I haven't been to in many years.  Some of these don't get much attention, so I thought it might be fun to see how they are holding up.  

Virginia Diner in Suffolk, VA

Previous visit - 2007
What I remember - What really stuck out to me was the pies.  Gee, who would have imagined?

Since we were staying in Virginia Beach, it was a legitimate hour drive here through the rain and traffic.  This place had better still be good.  Virginia Diner is big, has a gift shop inside

where they sell peanuts and peanut candies and most people just get the buffet. 

All of this adds up to being rather touristy.  We decided to order off the menu, as Cousin Johnny and I did back in 2007.

Mariton ordered one of her favorites, liver and onions,

which comes lightly grilled with sautéed onions and topped with a thin beef gravy.  Excellent and she polished in off in record time.  

Being a ham lover, I went with the country ham.  What I was expecting was the Fried Center Cut Country Virginia Ham, but instead received the Baked Country Cured Virginia Ham. 

This is thinly sliced and served cold.  Obviously, there had been a miscommunication, without clarification, but this plate still looked good, so I kept it.  As much as I love a good salty country ham, this was borderline too salty for even me.  I found that eating it with the biscuits

helped cut down on the saltiness and it still made for a fine lunch.

The sides were green beans, spoonbread, candied yams and some excellent bitter collards.

The big dilemma was should we order peanut pie or peanut butter pie.  As always, the right decision is to get both!
The peanut butter pie,

topped with cream and chocolate syrup was ultra-rich and after a half dozen bites, we were bored with the flavor.  BTW, look how different the PB pie is in this photo and my photo from the Roadfood review.  The peanut pie was so good, it will be making an appearance on the best pie list, so I will save the photo and description for then.

On the way home, we had a 3 1/2 hour layover at BWI, so Cousin Johnny picked us up and took us to G & M for crabcakes.  To thank him, we brought him a bag of the chocolate covered peanuts from Virginia Diner and I also took a bag home for myself.  Easily the best chocolate covered nuts I have ever had.

Virginia Diner has been open since 1929 and based on the quality of food and the crwods they pull in, is still going strong.  If I had to rate it from 1-10, it would get a 7.

Here is my take on my only visit to the Virginia Diner back in September 2003 ( I think this was my 3rd or 4th trip report back when I used to do them). In retrospect I wasn't very impressed with the exception of the peanut butter silk pie . I was surprised they didn't have peanut soup on the menu since either the roadfood website or book had indicated that they had.

"I then headed down to Peanut Country in Wakefield Virginia and went to the Virginia Diner for Lunch. Had the Fried Chicken and BBQ pork platter along with spoon bread, mac n cheese, collards and stewed tomatos over black eyed peas. Unfortunately they did not have peanut soup available on the menu that day  The piece de restistance was the Peanut Butter Silk pie. Absolutely decadent!"

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5234
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 14:30:53 (permalink)
wanderingjew

buffetbuster
It wasn't necessarily planned this way, but we revisited some classic Roadfood places that I haven't been to in many years.  Some of these don't get much attention, so I thought it might be fun to see how they are holding up.  

Here is my take on my only visit to the Virginia Diner back in September 2003 ( I think this was my 3rd or 4th trip report back when I used to do them). In retrospect I wasn't very impressed with the exception of the peanut butter silk pie . I was surprised they didn't have peanut soup on the menu since either the roadfood website or book had indicated that they had.

"I then headed down to Peanut Country in Wakefield Virginia and went to the Virginia Diner for Lunch. Had the Fried Chicken and BBQ pork platter along with spoon bread, mac n cheese, collards and stewed tomatos over black eyed peas. Unfortunately they did not have peanut soup available on the menu that day  The piece de restistance was the Peanut Butter Silk pie. Absolutely decadent!"

You did Trip Reports...wow...that must be like before there were restaurants!  
02sbxstr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 16:53:15 (permalink)
You are a new person on Roadfood, 02sbxstr. Every post I've read from you is negative. Every single one. You do not know buffetbuster and you also do not know that this will be an ongoing continuous post about many other places, not just BBQ places. It doesn't stop here! Have patience. Also, be a little more open-minded as to the way other parts of the country do things.

Got your shorts twisted -- and at Christmas time too. Here are my 'limited' posts.  Please tell me how EACH AND EVERYONE "Every single one" is negative. Even the one that you seem to be upset about is hardly negative. I concur that "honest" was probably the wrong word to use, in the interest of accuracy, perhaps inaccurate would have been better. But did I suggest the list was not a good representation of what we don't have in New England? No. Did I suggest that it was influenced perhaps by undue vendor influence? No. I understand there are regional cuisines (You do know what a cuisine is?).
Why the thin skin? I like "roadfood" and I assume you do too. So why the personal attack? Looking forward to your (I know it is not coming) reply. 

And why not fully identify yourself? I do

So Harriet, Cat got your tongue? How about a response?I admitted that "honest" was probably the wrong word to use. How about an admission from you that not all my posts are negative. 
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 18:15:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/12/22 09:28:58
ChiTownDiner
nagle
I cheated and found what the significance is.

Fixing Doodle Polls, self proclaimed cheating....is there no end in sight?  

What can I say? It’s what I do.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12430
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/21 18:24:15 (permalink)
On a February visit to Chicago, host/ambassador extraordinaire ChiTownDiner surprised us by taking us to Seafood City, which is a massize Filipino grocery store.  The Filipino population in Pittsburgh is miniscule, so we don't have anything like this.  Needless to say, my wife was in her glory, thrilled to see some of her favorite exotic fruits

and enjoying her favorite dessert,

halo-halo.  Unfortunately, she was limited on how much she could buy and take home, since we had flown into town.

In September, a work emergency popped up as we had some vital parts used in building our equipment that wasn't manufactured properly.  Someone had to drive to Chicago immediately to have them repaired.  It wasn't fair to ask an employee to give up their weekend, so I was the obvious choice.  Having time to kill while the manufacturer was remachining the parts, CTD took us back to Seafood City

This time she called various family members, asking them what they wanted and she took home many bags full of cookies, crackers, coffee, etc.  Even here at the end of the year, when she wants a quick meal, she makes rice and opens up a package of her beloved dried fish, a.k.a. bulad.

A big thanks to CTD for introducing us to Seafood City and for driving us around during three trips to Chicago in 2018.  Although, it is clear that the Jollibee

likes me better.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/12/21 18:26:10
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 04:35:16 (permalink)
Time for another quiz, although this one will be a toughie.

This building

used to be home to an all-time great Roadfood restaurant, that is unfortunately long gone.  Can anyone name the restaurant and the city?  If it helps, it's in the South and their style of service is my favorite type of Roadfood restaurant.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/12/22 12:58:03
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 09:08:07 (permalink)
Re: "quiz"

Even though I have no idea, I love quizzes.

So, from the architecture and flora I'm thinking North GA, inland SC, Western NC, or Eastern TN. 

And, I'm guessing the cuisine was American South, served "family style".

As it is in a residential neighborhood it has to be in a locale with little or no zoning laws; that has me thinking Code Napoleon (Louisiana).  Or, it was established in the 1920's (based on the architecture) and 'grandfathered'.

Clearly, I have no freaking idea. 

But, I do love quizzes!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/12/22 09:17:02
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4241
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 09:12:59 (permalink)
buffetbuster

This building

used to be home to an all-time great Roadfood restaurant, that is unfortunately long gone.  Can anyone name the restaurant and the city?  If it helps, it's in the South and their style of service is my favorite type of Roadfood restaurants.

I was there once.  I believe it is Mrs. Hopkins boarding house in Pensacola, Florida
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 09:18:56 (permalink)
The more I think about it, the Florida Panhandle!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/12/22 09:24:06
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 09:29:59 (permalink)
Greymo
buffetbuster

This building

used to be home to an all-time great Roadfood restaurant, that is unfortunately long gone.  Can anyone name the restaurant and the city?  If it helps, it's in the South and their style of service is my favorite type of Roadfood restaurants.

I was there once.  I believe it is Mrs. Hopkins boarding house in Pensacola, Florida

Fantastic!  Way to go Greymo.  

I only made it to Hopkins Boarding House once and ended up eating at a table by myself, since it was at the end of lunch service.  

MJ-
I like your thought process as it first opened in the 1940's. 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 09:32:11 (permalink)
buffetbuster
On a February visit to Chicago, host/ambassador extraordinaire ChiTownDiner surprised us by taking us to Seafood City, which is a massize Filipino grocery store.  The Filipino population in Pittsburgh is miniscule, so we don't have anything like this.  Needless to say, my wife was in her glory, thrilled to see some of her favorite exotic fruits

and enjoying her favorite dessert,

halo-halo.  Unfortunately, she was limited on how much she could buy and take home, since we had flown into town.

In September, a work emergency popped up as we had some vital parts used in building our equipment that wasn't manufactured properly.  Someone had to drive to Chicago immediately to have them repaired.  It wasn't fair to ask an employee to give up their weekend, so I was the obvious choice.  Having time to kill while the manufacturer was remachining the parts, CTD took us back to Seafood City

This time she called various family members, asking them what they wanted and she took home many bags full of cookies, crackers, coffee, etc.  Even here at the end of the year, when she wants a quick meal, she makes rice and opens up a package of her beloved dried fish, a.k.a. bulad.

A big thanks to CTD for introducing us to Seafood City and for driving us around during three trips to Chicago in 2018.  Although, it is clear that the Jollibee

likes me better.

Based on the positioning of your hand, I see why Jollibee liked you better!  Also, is Jollibee any relation or next of kin to a Honeybee?
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 09:58:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/12/22 11:09:48
CTD-
One bee recognizes another!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 10:31:24 (permalink)
File this under (shell) fish out of water.

On the short list of best foods in America is the lobster roll.  But, like almost all regional specialties, it just doesn't travel well.

I know a handful of restaurants here in Pittsburgh that have lobster rolls on the menu.  As tempting as that sounds, when ordered it is always a huge disappointment, since it is waterlogged lobster, with celery and a heavy dose of mayo, inside a hot dog bun.  Just awful.

In 2017, Michael Stern was one of the judges of a lobster roll festival in Portland, ME and the winner was from Park City, UT.  No doubt this came as a shock to just about everyone involved.  I paid attention to this for the next time we were in Utah, which was Labor Day weekend this year.  And according to Freshie's website, they were in the process of opening a second location in Salt Lake City.  Once we were out there, they announced on social media that it would be open the very next day at 11:00AM.  We made plans to be the first in line.

Pulling up at 10:45AM,

there were no other customers around, so we took seats on their patio.  Once they noticed us, they invited us in as they were finishing last second details.  Really nice people!  

We asked lots of questions and they were shocked to their first customers in SLC were from Pittsburgh.  They told us to take seats on the patio and they would bring the food out to us.  A few minutes later our food came out.

First thing we tried was the rich, buttery lobster bisque

with big chunks of claw meat.  So good!  The lobster rolls

are served with chips and are on the smaller side.  But there is no denying that the meat inside the split top New England roll was fresh.  This is indeed an excellent lobster roll.  Maybe not quite as good as my gold standard, Red's Eats, but considering where we were, this is practically miraculous!  

As you can see by the menu,

you are paying a premium price for these lobster rolls.

If that wasn't enough, they also had blueberry pie, which turned out to be nothing short of world class.  I will be writing more about that during the best pie list.

As we were sitting there waiting for our food, a woman came walking up and she excitedly asked if she was the first customer.  She was disappointed to find out she was not.  After she placed her order and came out to the patio, we starting talking.  She was from Boston and thrilled she will no longer have to drive to Park City for her lobster roll cravings.  She was so nice, we invited her to join us at our table and we had a great time talking.

Maybe an even a bigger surprise came just last week.  The town I live in has grown exponentially in the last few years and they built a huge new fire station just outside of the downtown area.  The old building sat vacant for a while, but a brewery eventually moved in.  As a non-drinker, this held no interest to me, but since they didn't offer food, they frequently bring in food trucks to draw people in.  Last Thursday, I was driving home from work and I saw the food truck in their lot was a lobster roll truck. 

We had no plans, so I went home, grabbed Mariton and we were on our way back.

Knowing how dreadful lobster rolls around here are, I was more than a little skeptical.  But looking at their menu, it seemed promising.  When it was my turn, I asked if it contained celery.  The young lady looked at me funny and said, "Why would ii have celery?"  

They do offer both Maine cold lobster rolls and Connecticut hot lobster rolls, but since the truck says Maine, I went with those. 

We got three of them, a cup of lobster bisque, a whoopie pie and headed out to eat with my mother.  I never got a sip of the lobster bisque, as my mother, who battles with lack of appetite, quickly dispatched it.  Good sign!  These lobster rolls were even smaller than the ones at Freshie's, but there is no doubt that they were real lobster rolls, even down to the proper bun.  The lobster itself was not as fresh as we would have liked, but certainly acceptable.  My mother ate half of hers and finished the rest as a late night snack.

BTW, the whoopie pie was awful.  And they lost some cred when they didn't know about Moxie.  Still, from now on, I will be paying more attention to which food trucks are sitting there. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/12/22 10:37:12
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 11:14:34 (permalink)
That's some beautiful looking lobster!  I love the garnish on the chowder!  As we were there 2 weeks before you, we missed out on both locations!  
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 12:19:25 (permalink)
buffetbuster

I know a handful of restaurants here in Pittsburgh that have lobster rolls on the menu.  As tempting as that sounds, when ordered it is always a huge disappointment, since it is waterlogged lobster, with celery and a heavy dose of mayo, inside a hot dog bun.  Just awful.

How right you are.  You'd think Pittsburgh didn't have an airport.

But it wasn't always that way.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 12:46:29 (permalink)
We will also be throwing out some interesting random notes along the way to fill in some holes...

* When was the last time you stayed in a hotel that had a Murphy Bed?  I never had until our suite at the Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk had one. 

Despite temptations, I never did sleep in it.

* When we flew into Memphis in January, we made The Arcade our first stop after landing at the airport.  We were surprised to see how crowded it was, especially full of millennials.  The draw?  It was Golden Girls trivia night.  

* It was previously mentioned how incredibly smoky it is at Helen's BBQ

and that we could smell the place before we saw it.  We parked in the small lot between Helen's and the business next door.  That business?  Nita's Scents & More! 

I can't imagine every product they sell doesn't smell overwhelmingly like smoke!

* We started seeing Recommended by Roadfood stickers

on doors of Roadfood restaurants all over the country.  This one is at Payne's in Memphis.

* Neon signs sure are popular at Roadfood restaurants.  Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, TX has a dandy, but hide it behind rafters,

which makes it impossible to photograph or fully appreciate.  This was not well thought out.

* Tony's I-75 Restaurant in Birch Run, MI bills itself as the home of the One Pound BLT. 

Although we gave it our best, ChiBears15, Mariton and I were no match for this monstrous and downright scary sandwich.

* Two visits to New Orleans meant two visits to Café du Monde.  Sure it's touristy, but we love it anyway.  A plate of beignets, a couple of café au laits, what more could you want?  Among the things we have learned is it is better to go at night, when the lines aren't nearly as long.  And it is also virtually impossible to eat here without getting powdered sugar all over your clothes, although we do highly recommend this method,

rather that the more direct approach.

* Nu Way is a hot dog chain around Macon, GA.  We made our first visit here in 2018.  Besides the hot dogs, they are also known for their "flaky ice",

which means the ice is cut into a flaky shape.  This is supposed to keep your drinks cold longer.  

We were there in May, it was already quite warm in central Georgia, so I got a sweet tea to go.  After returning to the car from touring the Allman Brothers Museum, very little of the ice had melted and the iced tea was still cold.  We drove around the rest of the door and it took a good six or more hours before the ice had completely melted.  We are now big believers in "flaky ice".
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/12/22 12:51:43
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 12:55:12 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
buffetbuster

How right you are.  You'd think Pittsburgh didn't have an airport.

But it wasn't always that way.

MJ-
I never did eat at Klein's, but sure do wish we had. 

As for the airport, our Uber driver taking us back to the New Orleans airport on Sunday asked where we were from.  When we told him Pittsburgh, he asked if we have an airport in Pittsburgh or we have to fly into Philadelphia and drive the rest of the way.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/12/22 12:56:13
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2471
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 13:22:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/12/22 17:42:31
Eat them beignets like a local. Take the beignet and point it away from your body and toward the floor. Now blow. All the extraneous powder sugar will drift to the floor and you can eat peacefully. That's why the floors at CDM are covered with the stuff.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 16:20:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster

* Neon signs sure are popular at Roadfood restaurants.  Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, TX has a dandy, but hide it behind rafters,

which makes it impossible to photograph or fully appreciate.  This was not well thought out.

The sign hasn't moved from what was (the former) front exterior of the building.

After Texas Monthly hailed Hutchins' as one of their "Top 50" BBQ establishments six or so years ago their volume went exponential.  Since, the premises of their 'original' location (on which we dined so enjoyably) were 'blown out' on three sides to accommodate the vastly increased volume.  In addition, they built a larger second location on Preston Road in Frisco which (by my eye) probably outsells their original by a multiple.

One might ask "what's the big deal about being one of 50 in a state?"  Well, aside from the obvious fact that Texas is rather large, Hutchins' is only one of four such honorees in greater Dallas, the others being Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, and Cattleack.  Parking is a severe challenge at both Pecan Lodge and Lockhart and Cattleack is only open seven hours a week!  And lines can be deadly at all three; Hutchins', however, has adequate on-site parking and manageable lines.

02sbxstr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 18:29:25 (permalink)
You are a new person on Roadfood, 02sbxstr. Every post I've read from you is negative. Every single one. You do not know buffetbuster and you also do not know that this will be an ongoing continuous post about many other places, not just BBQ places. It doesn't stop here! Have patience. Also, be a little more open-minded as to the way other parts of the country do things.

Got your shorts twisted -- and at Christmas time too. Here are my 'limited' posts.  Please tell me how EACH AND EVERYONE "Every single one" is negative. Even the one that you seem to be upset about is hardly negative. I concur that "honest" was probably the wrong word to use, in the interest of accuracy, perhaps inaccurate would have been better. But did I suggest the list was not a good representation of what we don't have in New England? No. Did I suggest that it was influenced perhaps by undue vendor influence? No. I understand there are regional cuisines (You do know what a cuisine is?).
Why the thin skin? I like "roadfood" and I assume you do too. So why the personal attack? Looking forward to your (I know it is not coming) reply. 

And why not fully identify yourself? I do

So Harriet, Cat got your tongue? How about a response?I admitted that "honest" was probably the wrong word to use. How about an admission from you that not all my posts are negative.

Your silence is deafening -- all I hear is crickets. Be an adult and answer my queries. 
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 19:17:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby will_work_4_bbq 2018/12/22 20:49:47
Don't forget that this thread was started by Buffetbuster. Not the place for petty arguments. Merry Christmas
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8826
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/22 20:41:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/12/23 11:31:46
buffetbuster
Although, it is clear that the Jollibee

likes me better.

"Hey pal, keep listening but don't let on that I'm talking; just keep smiling for the nice lady.  This guy to my left has been following me all day and is really creeping me out, and I need your help getting away from him; do you think your woman can pull your car up to the emergency exit back by the bathrooms?  We'll work our way back there and when I crash the door you throw a knee into his 'nads, and we'll make a break for it."
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/23 07:24:41 (permalink)
Another classic Roadfood restaurant we revisited this year was Hackney's on Harms in the Chicago suburb of Glenview.  My previous visit was in 2009 with The Travelin Man.

What I remember from the previous visit - It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside.  Food-wise, TTM and I especially liked the onion loaf.  But to be perfectly honest, what I remember most was this gorgeous lady (dressed in very expensive clothing) who sat a couple tables away from us.  We were thinking she had to be a celebrity.

This visit was it late September and the group (ChiTownDiner, Mrs. CTD, Mariton and I) decided to sit inside.  Since it is dark in there, with very few windows, the photos are not the best.

All four of us got burgers, mine being the famous Hackneyburger,

which is an impressive 1/2 juicy patty, topped with cheddar cheese.  What separates this burger from many is that it traditionally comes on a spongy, dark rye bread.  You can choose to get it on a regular bun if you prefer, but what's the fun in that?  Very good burger. It comes with fries and cole slaw, with the creamy slaw being the better of the two.

The real star of the menu is that onion loaf. 

This is a tall, tangled spiderweb of slightly greasy oniony goodness.  Wispy thin, these are some of the best onion rings anywhere.  Sorry my photo isn't better, but you can get a better look at it from the photo in the Roadfood review.

CTD ordered his own variation of the burger, but I can't remember what it was.  Hopefully, he will chime in here.

The atmosphere is that of a dark, yet family friendly bar.  They are very popular and when we left, there was plenty of people waiting for a precious seat.

Hackney's seems to be just as good in 2018 as it was in 2009.  I give it a rating of eight.

There are three different Hackney's locations around Chicagoland.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/12/23 07:27:12
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/23 07:27:48 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster
Although, it is clear that the Jollibee

likes me better.

"Hey pal, keep listening but don't let on that I'm talking; just keep smiling for the nice lady.  This guy to my left has been following me all day and is really creeping me out, and I need your help getting away from him; do you think your woman can pull your car up to the emergency exit back by the bathrooms?  We'll work our way back there and when I crash the door you throw a knee into his 'nads, and we'll make a break for it."

Love it!!!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/23 07:30:38 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
buffetbuster

The sign hasn't moved from what was (the former) front exterior of the building.

After Texas Monthly hailed Hutchins' as one of their "Top 50" BBQ establishments six or so years ago their volume went exponential.  Since, the premises of their 'original' location (on which we dined so enjoyably) were 'blown out' on three sides to accommodate the vastly increased volume.  In addition, they built a larger second location on Preston Road in Frisco which (by my eye) probably outsells their original by a multiple.

One might ask "what's the big deal about being one of 50 in a state?"  Well, aside from the obvious fact that Texas is rather large, Hutchins' is only one of four such honorees in greater Dallas, the others being Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, and Cattleack.  Parking is a severe challenge at both Pecan Lodge and Lockhart and Cattleack is only open seven hours a week!  And lines can be deadly at all three; Hutchins', however, has adequate on-site parking and manageable lines.

That would help explain the poor location of such a grand sign.  Still, doesn't common sense dictate a better usage of your assets?  

And anyone even slightly familiar with Texas should understand that making the top 50 BBQ restaurants in the state is a huge honor.  No doubt there are plenty of great places that didn't make the cut.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8826
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/23 09:59:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MetroplexJim 2018/12/23 10:12:53
buffetbuster
Last Thursday, I was driving home from work and I saw the food truck in their lot was a lobster roll truck. 

We had no plans, so I went home, grabbed Mariton and we were on our way back.

Knowing how dreadful lobster rolls around here are, I was more than a little skeptical.  But looking at their menu, it seemed promising.  When it was my turn, I asked if it contained celery.  The young lady looked at me funny and said, "Why would ii have celery?"  

They do offer both Maine cold lobster rolls and Connecticut hot lobster rolls, but since the truck says Maine, I went with those. 

We got three of them, a cup of lobster bisque, a whoopie pie and headed out to eat with my mother.  I never got a sip of the lobster bisque, as my mother, who battles with lack of appetite, quickly dispatched it.  Good sign!  These lobster rolls were even smaller than the ones at Freshie's, but there is no doubt that they were real lobster rolls, even down to the proper bun.  The lobster itself was not as fresh as we would have liked, but certainly acceptable.

Is there such a thing a a chain food truck?

I'll have to keep tabs on the Pittsburgh truck for my visit next summer.  The window of opportunity may be small, but if it works out I'd definitely like to give one of those lobster rolls a try...well, two of those lobster rolls.  One cold and one hot.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/23 10:08:52 (permalink)
buffetbuster
That would help explain the poor location of such a grand sign.  Still, doesn't common sense dictate a better usage of your assets?

The only reason I can think of is that their McKinney expansion was so rapid they didn't bother to consult an architect.  BTW, this is much in keeping with their original structure which underwent several 'ad hoc' additions over the years which were pretty much 'pour a slab and throw up a roof''.  After our first visit years ago Wafa refused to return because 'the place is dark and creepy'.  However, she loves their new place in Frisco which they built both with brick and an architect.

buffetbuster
And anyone even slightly familiar with Texas should understand that making the top 50 BBQ restaurants in the state is a huge honor.  No doubt there are plenty of great places that didn't make the cut.

No kidding.  Here are two of my favorites, both of which you know well:  Clark's Outpost and Slow Bone.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2018/12/23 10:20:47 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Is there such a thing a a chain food truck?

I'll have to keep tabs on the Pittsburgh truck for my visit next summer.  The window of opportunity may be small, but if it works out I'd definitely like to give one of those lobster rolls a try...well, two of those lobster rolls.  One cold and one hot.

Talk about serendipity -- their DFW truck is operating today just three miles from our home at the Allen Premium Outlets

Now I know "what's for lunch". 

Thanks, SC

EDIT:  Thanks as well to Cliff & Mariton; we'll be avoiding the Whoopie Pie!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/12/23 10:25:35
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5