Helpful ReplyHot!Our Year in Roadfood - 2018

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7242
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 09:59:57 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
MetroplexJim
ChiTownDiner
Much like beauty, taste can also be in the eye of the beholder!  

Indeed. 
My one visit to Lexington#1 was profoundly disappointing.
And the fault was all mine.
I was expecting Western Carolina barbecue to be as good as Eastern Carolina.
To my taste, it is not. 
No harm, no foul.
Unrealistic and mal-informed expectations.
I was expecting Grace Kelly ...
… and Minnie Pearl walked in the door.
"My bad."

I also had the same experience at Lexington #1.  I was by myself and the meal tasted dry and old.  I was almost dreading it a few years later on the bus tour and it was awesome...I even had seconds....and thirds!  

Exacerbating my experience was the fact that we drove through bad weather 100+ miles out of our way and spent an otherwise unnecessary overnight in a Holiday Inn Express, all with the specific objective of dining there.  After that, even Peter Luger's or Stroud's had better be having a "good night".

My wife (who for cultural reasons does not 'do' pork) enjoyed her meal, but I was totally deflated.  My primary disappointment was that (watery, ketchuppy, tepid, flavorless) "dip". 

Next time I'll be carrying this
and all will be "just fine".
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/01/06 10:11:36
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9091
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 10:03:01 (permalink)
You'll be carrying an excessively long web link?
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5308
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 10:04:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/06 10:41:44
buffetbuster
joerogo
Don't give me too much credit Cliff.....I stumbled outta the liquor store....and there it was!

Great report Cliff.  Come to think out it, three visits to New mexico and I've never had a bad meal. I almost did! I sent a GCC back to be redone(while listening to one CTD begging me not to do it).  The remake was perfect. I was peeking in the kitchen door while listening to horror stories about sending food back. 

Where did you send back the green chile cheeseburger?  

Cocina Azul, they forgot the green chilis and overcooked the burger.

I don't remember how I chose this place, but, the refired burger was excellent......despite all the horror stories I was being told.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12542
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 10:04:55 (permalink)
CTD & MJ-
I have probably been to Lexington #1 approximately 20 times over the years and there was once when I had a disappointing experience.  That has also happened to me at other favorites including Santa Fe Bite, Mary & Tito's, Stroud's, Hominy Grill, etc.

But under those circumstances of your visit, I would probably hold it against them, too.  I hope you get to give them another try someday.  And hopefully "Minnie Pearl" won't be working that day! 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 10:06:23 (permalink)
JoeRogo-
Oh yeah, I have never sent food back in my life, but if they forgot the green chile, that would have to be returned.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 10:34:49 (permalink)
Re:  Lady and the Pit

"Google" says 49 miles and 42 minutes from our home. 

So, a little road trip for Jim & Wafa is definitely in order!

Thanks in advance.
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 11:52:10 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Thanks in advance.

I'm only about 15 miles from work or less, but my commute time is often much more than 42 minutes. Go. Go now.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 12:38:52 (permalink)
MetroplexJim-
If you do go to Lady and the Pit, please report back!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/06 13:25:02 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MetroplexJim-

We are planning a lunch mid-week and I will report, pending their HVAC operating smoothly.
The Princess is a place-leaver, not a car-sitter.
BTW, it'll be 70 this week - just like it was supposed to be for the Steelers/Packers Super Bowl!

Davidsanders
MetroplexJim

Thanks in advance.

I'm only about 15 miles from work or less, but my commute time is often much more than 42 minutes. Go. Go now.

Here, the speed limit suggestion is 70; having to slow to 60 constitutes a traffic jam!  If such persists, we just build another arterial.

But, I "know your pain".  We moved here from Northern Virginia where we lived 6.8 miles from the White House and had only one traffic light to D.C.  Such a rush-hour commute would be a good 40 minutes each way.

mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/07 11:28:33 (permalink)
Ooh. Glad you enjoyed the Lady and the Pit but those people are just going to have to put out and get the AC replaced, repaired, whatever. Really it's a given in Texas. I don't know how the employees stand it. I saw the dining room was empty and I should think it would cost them a lot of local business. SENSATIONAL report as always, Cliff.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/10 12:47:14 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MetroplexJim-

"If you do go to Lady and the Pit "

What do you mean by "if"? 

Mariton and you say that the your best meal of 2018 was enjoyed only 50 miles from our little hacienda … my goodness, that constitutes a mandatory activity; in fact, a pilgrimage

Accordingly, we set out on our 100 mile round-trip at 11:00 and arrived at 11:45.  The parking lot was full and (to my surprise shock, given the neighborhood) populated by a vehicle mix one generally sees at Highland Park Village.  That day a group of 30 or so prosperous Texas women were enjoying a group lunch in Lady and the Pit's private dining room.  They were short-staffed (only The Lady, a young man, and a lady-friend of The Lady) so we had to wait 20 minutes or so to order and be seated in their mostly empty dining room.  And we were lucky as folks that came in a few minutes after us waited, patiently and smiling, for over an hour.  On my way out for a smoke I asked if they had eaten here before.  They said, "Yes.  She's busy today.  We don't mind; it's worth the wait."

When the food came, all made perfect sense.  Simply put, my ribs were the best I've ever had.  The meat was lightly (and wonderfully) seasoned, delightfully smoky and flavorful, had chew, yet came off the bone clean.  Simply perfect.  As they were out of sliced brisket Mrs. Metro settled for sauced, chopped brisket.  Even though she does not like sauced, chopped brisket, she enjoyed her entre.

For sides, we had coleslaw, baked beans, candied yams, collard greens, and mac & cheese.  All were home-runs and several were grand slam walk-offs.  We have some pictures that I'll post later, but no photo could possibly do justice to this cuisine.

As most of the daily specials had been sold out to the large group of 30 or so women and as they had only one waitress (a friend of the owner who had volunteered for the day even though she had just gotten off her regular job at 3 AM) we ordered BBQ, which requires no prep, only plating.

As for that group of ladies … there was something very remarkable … they were very quiet!  Usually, any restaurant gathering of three or more lady Texans quickly devolves into a raucous cackle-fest.  Mirabile dictu, this group was as quiet as Presbyterians during a sermon.  Then I realized: they were eating and so focused on the delectable food hardly a cackle or squeal was to be heard.  Praise be to The Lady and her Pit!

In sum, Lady and the Pit is amazing.

Cliff, next time you and Mariton are in Dallas, we "have a date"!

------------------------------------

Follow-up:  1)  As their portions are generous we did take home a large rib and enough chopped, sauced brisket for a 1/4# sandwich.  I usually "zap" leftover BBQ in the microwave; for this, however, that would be sacrilege.  So, I placed it in covered porcelain and slowly, reverently brought it to temperature in a convection oven set @260.  That was my dinner last night; I'm still smiling in satisfaction.

2)  We do have 4 nice 'food pics', but as my (little used) PhotoBucket has expired, I have no way of posting them. 

3)  As consolation I found this:

From it I found out that gifted, wonderful Lady's name:  Natasha Smith.  How does one nominate someone for a James Beard Award?

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/01/11 08:58:48
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/10 13:58:17 (permalink)
WOW...this is high praise as two of our most note-worthy Roadfooders have spoken.  No plans for a visit to that area, but if I do....
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/10 14:45:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/10 15:22:42
ChiTownDiner
WOW...this is high praise as two of our most note-worthy Roadfooders have spoken.  No plans for a visit to that area, but if I do....

Well … as ATT Stadium and both the Rangers' old and new ballparks are only a short drive (8.5 miles) from Lady and the Pit, maybe adding a sporting event or a concert to the 'package' may entice you.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 07:47:43 (permalink)
MJ-
Thanks so much for checking the out Lady and the Pit and reporting back.  So glad to read that you had a great experience, too.  Next time we are in the Metroplex, maybe we can get the local group to meet there.

The important question is...

Was the air conditioning fixed?
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 07:49:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/01/11 07:57:01
MetroplexJim
ChiTownDiner

Well … as ATT Stadium and both the Rangers' old and new ballparks are only a short drive (8.5 miles) from Lady and the Pit, maybe adding a sporting event or a concert to the 'package' may entice you.

Sorry Jim, that won't be enough to get the ChiTownDiner to Dallas/Fort Worth.  Like Napoleon's army, CTD travels on his stomach!

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 08:17:25 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MetroplexJim
ChiTownDiner

Sorry Jim, that won't be enough to get the ChiTownDiner to Dallas/Fort Worth.  Like Napoleon's army, CTD travels on his stomach!

I resemble those words!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 09:26:43 (permalink)
Over the course of the year, you meet so many wonderful people.  Here are some of the ones we met in 2018...

Part One:

* While driving around Southern California, we spent a night in Delano, simply because there was a Hyatt next to the highway.  Waking up the next morning, I started doing research for a good breakfast place nearby.  It turns out there was a Filipino bakery just down the street and it gets rave reviews.  We were on our way!

Not only were the breads, cookies and other assorted snacks at Fil Bake Shop excellent (according to Mariton) but the people could not have been nicer.  The national language is The Philippines is Tagalog, which my wife speaks perfectly fine, but she grew up speaking Visaya.  All the ladies here were from nearby islands as Mariton and also spoke Visaya, which gave them an instant connection.  From that moment on, we were treated as special guests.  They even sent over a whole tray of goodies for us to try. 

We ended up buying around $40.00 worth of stuff to snack on while driving around the rest of the trip. 

* You want to see the face of bbq?  Here it is:

This is Mr. Williams of Williams' BBQ in West Memphis, AR.  No doubt he has a first name but everyone, employees and customers alike, called him Mr. Williams.  Honestly, he looked kind of mean, but my wife asked to take his photo and he was happy to pose.  Who is going to say no to a pretty girl?  Actually, he turned out to be a really nice guy, who was paying attention to every detail of what was going on in his bbq shop.

* Our hotel in Virginia Beach was ideally situated just a few blocks away from the wonderful Doc Taylor's.  Mariton decided sleeping was more important than breakfast so I made the walk on my own.  They sat me at the counter where I could watch the cooks at work on the grill.  It was obvious an experienced cook was breaking in a new employee

and the constant banter back and forth would have been worth the visit even if the food wasn't so good.  My favorite line:  "Keep those hashbrowns flowing like Kentucky bourbon, man!"

* Not sure why I get so much glee taking photos of the concretes being held upside down at Ted Drewes, but I really do.  Sometimes they are shy, but doing the cup flip is a mandatory part of working at this great custard stand.  During a weekend in St. Louis, we hit Ted Drewes three times.

* Big Daddy's Dish is a soul food restaurant conveniently located near the airport in Atlanta and we usually finish our trips to the area with a stop here.  The service is cafeteria style and the amount of eye catching food to choose from can be almost overwhelming.  At the end of the line is Big Daddy himself to greet you. 

Cats just don't come any cooler than Big Daddy!

* Back at the previously mentioned Burger Bar in Cleburne, Texas, the place is so small that the employees can't help being but just a few feet away from you the entire time you are here.  If they aren't friendly, considering all burgers are made to order which takes time, it could be awkward.  Fortunately, the young lady working that day was a delight.  She told us about the history of the place, the fact that you can go use the bathroom at the plumbing supply store down the block and gave us some good dining recommendations in nearby Fort Worth.  And when our burger was done,

she was proud to pose.

* While in Chicago, we met someone who called himself the Goodwill Ambassador for the Famous Chicago Pie Triangle. 

Is this actually a paying position?  We never did catch his name, but we certainly appreciated his enthusiasm for the subject. 

* We were not expecting to love Lithuanian Bakery, best known for their Napoleon tortes, as much as we did and one of the reasons was because of this nice young man,

who was part of the family that owns the place.  His grandfather started the business in 1963.  Here he is holding a loaf of their sourdough rye.  He told us, "The sourdough rye started the business, the Napoleon torte keeps us in business!"

* We love pit beef sandwiches around Baltimore and our favorite place is Pioneer Pit Beef.  Great sandwiches and really friendly people, too.  And as a bonus, as they are slicing your meat for the sandwiches, they always give you free samples.  Here is one of the employees

handing Cousin Johnny some heavenly, thinly sliced turkey.

* While reading the Roadfood review for Pink Dipper, an ice cream parlor in North Augusta, SC, we realized the young lady making our desserts was the same one pictured in the review.  We showed her the photo from the review, which she hadn't seen before.  She was more than happy to pose for me

with the Moon Pie hot fudge sundae she just made for me.  How good does that sound?

* Which waitress you get can make such a big difference in what kind of experience you have at a restaurant.  We have eaten at Red Iguana in Salt Lake City several times before and loved it.  During a September visit, Lydia

was our server and she has been here for over 30 years.  Not only is she a naturally sweet lady, she made several helpful suggestions that greatly enhanced our meals.  We wish Lydia could wait on us everywhere we go!

* If you choose to dine at Alcenia's, and you definitely should, you are going to get hug from owner B.J. Chester-Tamayo.  That's all there is to it.  After our hugs on the way out the door, the only way she would pose for photos is if we posed with her. 

No problem there for my wife.

Part two of this post will have to wait until we return from our weekend trip to Birmingham.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/01/11 09:54:02
Davidsanders
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 09:38:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/11 09:47:51
MetroplexJim
buffetbuster
MetroplexJim-

2)  We do have 4 nice 'food pics', but as my (little used) PhotoBucket has expired, I have no way of posting them. 

I thought that Photobucket has a free plan that posts photos with a watermark. They've also backed way off their disastrous price increase of something like $500/year for an account with third party hosting services. Their lowest price plan is less than $50/year and it includes hosting services.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 09:47:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/01/11 13:53:16
They sent over a tray of goodies....did you also buy a lottery ticket? 

Was Alcenia's just as good as I remember?  That was a Roadfood memorable meal!  

I gotta keep the Big Daddy in mind!  

I believe the Goodwill Ambassador position is a paid position with all the pie you care to eat...and with expansion potential from triangle to rectangle or even pentagon, they are conducting interviews for a 2nd position!  
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 10:29:09 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Next time we are in the Metroplex, maybe we can get the local group to meet there.

As always, an excellent plan.  In this case, a most excellent plan.

BTW:  Lady and the Pit is in East Fort worth, only 1/2 mile from the I-30 and I-820E interchange, an easy scoot from anywhere in the Metroplex.

For sightseers, it is only 8 miles from the ($ multi-billions) "Arlington Sports & Entertainment District". 

buffetbuster 
The important question is...

Was the air conditioning fixed?

Yes.

But, "just in case" I noticed that she now has two of these 'at the ready':

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 10:43:22 (permalink)
MJ-
I am curious about something...

As you most undoubtedly know, Pittsburghers have this weird thing where they rarely wander away the comfort of their own neighborhood or immediate surrounding area.  People from the Southside just don't go to the Northside and vice versa.  Something about too many rivers to cross and tunnels to go through.

Do people from Dallas go to Fort Worth and do people from Fort Worth go to Dallas?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 11:10:28 (permalink)
buffetbuster

* You want to see the face of bbq?  Here it is:

This is Mr. Williams of Williams' BBQ in West Memphis, AR.  No doubt he has a first name but everyone, employees and customers alike, called him Mr. Williams.  Honestly, he looked kind of mean, but my wife asked to take his photo and he was happy to pose.  Who is going to say no to a pretty girl?  Actually, he turned out to be a really nice guy, who was paying attention to every detail of what was going on in his bbq shop.

Last summer we drove back East to visit my kids.  As we were approaching Memphis I found myself in the mood for some 'non Beale St.' BBQ and one of my wife's little devices recommended Williams' BBQ.

Even though I am by nature shy, retiring, and reticent to engage in conversation I somehow found myself engaged in such with Mr. Williams.  Indeed, he is exactly as you depict him, a wise gentleman and the true master of his domain. 

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 12:44:21 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MJ-
I am curious about something...

As you most undoubtedly know, Pittsburghers have this weird thing where they rarely wander away the comfort of their own neighborhood or immediate surrounding area.  People from the Southside just don't go to the Northside and vice versa.  Something about too many rivers to cross and tunnels to go through.

!  Does that ever bring back some memories!  Yeah, we were a bit 'insular'.  I think you are about 15 years my junior; back in 'my day' (even) Protestants and Catholics hardly interacted!  Living in Eighty-Four/ 'Little' Washington the only times we ventured through the Tubes and over the Mon was to shop at Horne's, visit the eye doctor in the Jenkins Arcade, and occasionally take in a Bucs game at Forbes Field.  When I was 14 we moved to New Wilmington.  That really opened 'my world' as (pre-I-79) we went down and back Rt. 18 each weekend to visit my grandparents.

Looking back, it was The Great One who, in a number of ways, truly united the city. 

buffetbuster 
Do people from Dallas go to Fort Worth and do people from Fort Worth go to Dallas?

Generally speaking, no.  (BTW, Baltimore is 20 miles closer to Washington than Fort Worth is to Dallas). 

The nexi of the two cities are 'the big airport' and the stadiums in Arlington, but Dallasites rarely venture west of those and vice versa.

As I have some 'interests' in Mid-Cities and Fort Worth I visit every month or so and have developed several favorite eateries there (The Woodshed, Saint Emilion, Chef Pointe Café) to which I now add Lady and the Pit.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/01/11 15:27:18
Davidsanders
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 12:56:13 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
buffetbuster
MJ-

Looking back, it was The Great One who, in a number of way, truly united the city. 

I've got to ask, who was the Great One?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 13:08:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/01/11 13:56:19
Davidsanders
MetroplexJim

Looking back, it was The Great One who, in a number of way, truly united the city. 

I've got to ask, who was the Great One?

Roberto Clemente
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 13:10:14 (permalink)
Davidsanders-
As he was the hero to everyone growing up around Pittsburgh in the 60s and 70s, Jim could only be referring to Roberto Clemente.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/01/11 13:11:47
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 13:29:17 (permalink)
When we lived in Arlington, circa 1989 - 1991, we traveled back and forth regularly but the neighbors we got to know at that time only went towards Ft Worth.  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 13:30:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/01/11 13:57:00
I immediately thought the Great One was from Rhode Island....

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 15:45:37 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Then why don't I see him listed here?

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 16:11:55 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
ChiTownDiner

Then why don't I see him listed here?

Perhaps he's...The Greatest One#canneverhavetomuchhyperbole 
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5