Helpful ReplyHot!Our Year in Roadfood - 2018

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6560
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/11 18:51:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/12 07:48:29
ChiTownDiner
MetroplexJim
ChiTownDiner
I immediately thought the Great One was from Rhode Island....

Then why don't I see him listed here?

Perhaps he's...The Greatest One#canneverhavetomuchhyperbole 

Shouldn't that be #cannevereverinamillionbillionzillionyearshavetomuchhyperbole?

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/01/11 19:01:07
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/12 07:49:01 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
ChiTownDiner
MetroplexJim
ChiTownDiner
I immediately thought the Great One was from Rhode Island....

Then why don't I see him listed here?

Perhaps he's...The Greatest One#canneverhavetomuchhyperbole 

Shouldn't that be #cannevereverinamillionbillionzillionyearshavetomuchhyperbole?

Buddy

Maybe we should discuss it over breakfast...say 9:20am today!  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9095
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/12 08:11:00 (permalink)
Davidsanders
MetroplexJim
Looking back, it was The Great One who, in a number of way, truly united the city.

I've got to ask, who was the Great One?

Mario Mendoza.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/23 15:47:59 (permalink)
My friend wanderingjew asked me to BUMP this thread....

BUMP!
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/23 16:44:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/23 17:00:20
ChiTownDiner
My friend wanderingjew asked me to BUMP this thread....

BUMP!

Why not??!!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7247
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/01/26 12:10:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/28 07:59:15
A "wordy BUMP":

As I mention this thread in it, I repeat here another post I made elsewhere.  That, and for the conclusion I draw below:
-------------------------

As the reason I posted this thread is the fact that #2 is Tender Smokehouse, a place only 15 miles away from us, so I feel a duty to visit it and "report".  (Well, that and the fact that IBBQ).

So, last Saturday we went there for lunch.  In retrospect, we should have known better; due to the Yelp article there was a traffic jam around it and a three hour wait!  No problem as Hutchins' Frisco location is on the way back home; as always we had a terrific lunch there with enough left-over for an evening snack. (Hutchins' is a buffetbuster 2018 "Honorable Mention"; maybe next time he's in town we'll go to the Frisco location which is a tick better than McKinney).

So … yesterday we went to Celina early for a weekday lunch.  The wait was only half an hour and would have been less had we been willing to be seated outside  as many did despite it being a breezy 45 degrees.  The BBQ was good, damn fine, in fact.  And, the sides were off the hook tasty - especially the BBQ beans which were heavily laced with bits of brisket and sausage.  In fact, they are good enough to make my 'top five' of Metroplex BBQ quality which, in no particular order, also includes:  The Slow Bone, Hutchins' Frisco, Pecan Lodge, and The Woodshed.  In fairness, I have never been to Lockhart Smokehouse or Cattleack BBQ which others rate very highly.

Tender's owner/pit-master previously worked for the Bonedaddy's and Red, Hot, & Blue chains.  This explains their exceptional sides.  Fortunately, their premises have plenty of room to expand their 60 seat (mostly 6-tops) indoor capacity while still maintaining a spacious patio area.  I expect construction to begin as soon as the weather turns.

------------------------

Still, the best ribs I have ever enjoyed in my three score and ten+ years were from The Lady and the Pit.  The only reason I did not list it on my 'best Metroplex BBQ' is that I regard it as more of a "Home Cooking" place.  In that vast category, it has no equal in my experience.
Rocky Enfield
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/11 15:41:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Our single best/most memorable meal of the year goes to Lady and the Pit

in Fort Worth, TX.

No doubt MetroplexJim will be curious how we found this place.  Texas Monthly BBQ Editor Daniel Vaughn had raved about this unassuming little place several times on his Instagram page right before we were flying into Dallas for the weekend.  I mention every once in a while when a place turns out to be much better than expected.  This was not one of those cases.  We had already stopped for kolaches, two burger stands (including Burger Barn) a Tex-Mex meal in Fort Worth and so our appetite was all but tapped out.  If we hadn't expected greatness, we wouldn't have bothered.  And we are so glad we did.

One of the things we read before going was that people loved the food, but the place was too hot since their air conditioning wasn't working.  Even though this was October, it was still too humid for us Yankees and the air conditioning still hadn't been fixed.  It was so bad that my wife, who grew up in The Philippines, wanting to go wait in the car until our food was ready.

But, that is the only bad thing I can say about Lady and the Pit.  Here is the menu board:

They do have a small menu, but we ordered mostly from the board.  As you can see, they were already out of several items for the day.  The kind young man who took our order (I believe he is the owner's son, but not 100% sure) told us to grab a table in the large dining room

and they would bring the food over.  And food this good takes time.

The first thing dropped off was the pineapple cream pie,

a pie you really don't see very often.  Smooth, cool, with subtle pineapple flavor, you can see the three distinct layers.  The thick graham cracker crust was the best part of this pie.  I planned on saving this pie for this post, otherwise, this would have easily been a top ten pie.  Needless to say, this dessert was long gone before the rest of our food arrived.

After a good 20-25 minutes in the heat, our food came out.  My sweetie was a little cranky at this point, but all that went away after her first bite.  Her choice was the fried pork chops,

which were thick cut, salty and so flavorful.  This is a dish she orders often in soul food restaurants and she said this was the best she has had.  I went with the chicken fried chicken,

a dish I have only had a couple of times before.  Also plenty thick, it was tender enough that it could easily cut with just the fork.  But the wow factor was from the amazing cream gravy that would probably made shoe leather delicious.

As for the vegetables, those were actually the best part of the meal.  By the time I dug into the veggies, Mariton had already sampled them all.  The collards had a nice balance with a slight sweetness and an earthy bitter taste.  When I exclaimed how good they were, Mariton agreed, but then informed it was her least favorite of the four vegetables.  Oh, come on.  That can't be right.  The candied yams, cabbage and especially the squash casserole were all equally as good if not better.  I don't know how squash casserole could be this flavorful, but we both agreed it was the best thing on the entire table.

As fantastic as the soul food was, the name of the restaurant still includes the word "the pit".  So in the name of research, we also got a plate of hot links. 

Juicy, with a serious hot spicy kick, this was really good sausage, but did not reach the level of the rest of the food.  But if you go, you should definitely give the bbq a try, too.

After she was done eating (she eats much faster than I do), she went out to the car to sit in air conditioning.  Despite the fact we had eaten so much on this day and during this meal, it was very tempting to order more.  But, I didn't want to keep her waiting for too long.

The service during the meal was excellent.  He came back and refilled our iced teas and waters on a regular basis, always stopping to chat for a few minutes.  We never did meet owner Natasha Smith, but could see her hard at work inside the open kitchen.

If you live in the Metroplex or plan on a visit, I can't recommend this place high enough.

Lady and the Pit
2220 Handley Drive
Fort Worth, TX
682-301-1888 

As soon as I saw the menu board I knew that Mariton was ordering the fried pork chops and she did not disappoint

Rocky
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10055
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/11 16:10:46 (permalink)
What amazing looking food. I'd have ordered the Chicken fried chicken too!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12543
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/13 10:21:21 (permalink)
I regret not progressing further on this.  There was still so much that was left unused.

Mariton's aunt was visiting from Japan for most of January and we were busy entertaining her.  The day before she left, I slipped on ice in my mother-in-law's driveway and bruised a few ribs.  By the time those healed up, it was mid-February and this ship had already sailed.

Maybe I need to start this much earlier this year.  Or find a way to post bits from each trip as the year goes along, instead of waiting until the end of the year.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5687
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/13 10:36:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby buffetbuster 2019/03/13 12:53:47
buffetbuster
I regret not progressing further on this.  There was still so much that was left unused.

Mariton's aunt was visiting from Japan for most of January and we were busy entertaining her.  The day before she left, I slipped on ice in my mother-in-law's driveway and bruised a few ribs.  By the time those healed up, it was mid-February and this ship had already sailed.

Maybe I need to start this much earlier this year.  Or find a way to post bits from each trip as the year goes along, instead of waiting until the end of the year.

I don't know how I missed this thread. Exceptional stuff as always buffetbuster.

As for getting this done next year, here's an idea. Post your photos and reports as you complete each trip throughout the year. I think ChiBears15 has experience with these and can help you get started.

We can try to come up with a name for these reports of trips.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/13 10:40:10 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster

I don't know how I missed this thread. Exceptional stuff as always buffetbuster.

As for getting this done next year, here's an idea. Post your photos and reports as you complete each trip throughout the year. I think ChiBears15 has experience with these and can help you get started.

We can try to come up with a name for these reports of trips.

Also, haven't seen many Guest Trip Reports...another potential partner!  

tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 683
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/17 01:32:31 (permalink)
Yelp is stating that 'Lady In The Pit' has closed down.  Food looks amazing.  Wonder what happened?
ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/17 03:24:02 (permalink)
According to their Facebook page, Lady and the Pit had an issue with the city in regards to the smoker location in the alley (which they say was approved when they built out the restaurant). She says they are looking for a new location to reopen.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7247
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/21 16:13:57 (permalink)
tkitna
Yelp is stating that 'Lady In The Pit' has closed down.  Food looks amazing.  Wonder what happened?

ChicagoIrish
According to their Facebook page, Lady and the Pit had an issue with the city in regards to the smoker location in the alley (which they say was approved when they built out the restaurant). She says they are looking for a new location to reopen.

Outrageous! 
I wrote Betsy Price, the Mayor of Ft. Worth about this and threatened to lure Natasha Smith to Collin County!

leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10055
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/21 17:29:00 (permalink)
That'll show 'em!
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
Re: Our Year in Roadfood - 2018 2019/03/30 12:12:29 (permalink)
Excellent review!! Thanks for posting it Buffetbuster.
Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5