Helpful ReplyHot!Our final trip of 2018

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/03 14:54:43 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Dale,

Are you familiar with the Polarsteps travel tracker App? It automatically tracks where you are and you can add pictures along the way. Your trip report will almost write itself. You can set it up to let others follow your trip. Your epic trip this Autumn will be a great chance to see how it works.

Jim

Jim, I’m curious about Polarsteps. I’ve downloaded the app, and wonder what you mean by the trip report will almost write itself. Is it because you’re making entries along the way, because it reminds you where you’ve been? Just wondering.

David
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5340
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/03 15:48:21 (permalink)
David,

How it was explained to me, the App tracks your location and when you take pictures with your phone they are inserted into a page for the location or time period. You can then go back and add a description when you have time.

I'll give it a shot in Evanston.

Jim
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/03 15:55:49 (permalink)
JRPfeff
David,

How it was explained to me, the App tracks your location and when you take pictures with your phone they are inserted into a page for the location or time period. You can then go back and add a description when you have time.

I'll give it a shot in Evanston.

Jim

Me too.

David
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/03 17:50:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/07/03 20:48:52
Sounds like something ChiBears15 would be interested in....his trip reports already write themselves but he is always looking to up his game!  
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2018/07/03 21:53:38
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 447
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/03 21:24:07 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Sounds like something ChiBears15 would be interested in....his trip reports already write themselves but he is always looping to up his game!  

Hey, I figured out (sort of) this Instagram thing a few months ago.  Give me some credit at least. 

I plan on learning trip reports later this year.

Danny
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10491
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/04 11:29:04 (permalink)
mar52
Boy, that's some trip, Dale.  I hope you get to do all you want!  (WOW)

And that's only the food
Here's the tourist attractions we plan to check out- I'm hoping we'll get to most of them:

Attractions for 2018 Cross Country Trip
Niagara Falls (American Side)

Headlands Beach State Park Mentor OH 
Polka Hall of Fame Euclid OH *

John Deere Pavilion Moline IL
Mississippi River Visitors Center Rock Island IL *

Pella IA *
American Jazz Museum Kansas City MO *

Country Club Plaza Kansas City MO *
Arabia Steamboat Museum Kansas City MO
Harry S Truman House Independence MO

The Keeper of the Plains Wichita KS
National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum Oklahoma City OK *

Black Rock Hot Springs- near Taos NM  *

Taos Plaza - Taos NM *
Taos Pueblo- Taos NM *

The Plaza Santa Fe NM *
The Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi Santa Fe NM  *
Georgia O Keefe Museum Santa Fe NM *

Sandia Peak Tram- Albuquerque NM *
Old Town Albuquerque NM *
Petroglyph National Monument Albuquerque NM *
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center Albuquerque NM

Carlsbad Caverns Carlsbad NM *

The Riverwalk San Antonio NM *
The Alamo San Antonio TX  *
The Largest Boots San Antonio TX

Lady Bird Hike and Bike Trail Austin TX *
LBJ Presidential Library Austin TX
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Austin TX *
Congress Avenue Bridge/ Austin Bats Austin TX *

Cemetary/Voodoo Temple Tour New Orleans LA *
Garden District Tour- New Orleans LA *
French Quarter (Bourbon Street/Royal Street/Decatur Street) New Orleans LA *
St Louis Cathedral New Orleans LA *
The Cabildo New Orleans LA

Delta Blues Museum Clarksdale MS

Graceland- Memphis TN *
Peabody Ducks Memphis TN *
National Civil Rights Museum Memphis TN
Sun Studio Memphis TN *

Johnny Cash Museum Nashville TN *
Ryman Auditorium Nashville TN *
The Hermitage Nashville TN
Grand Ole Opry Show *

The Smoky Mountains Eastern TN *

Blue Ridge Parkway Western VA *
Floyd Country Store Floyd VA

* Must stop

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/04 11:45:49 (permalink)
wj,

Is the Downing Cafe on your list while in Wisconsin next May?

Jim
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/04 12:44:15 (permalink)
Glad to see you are staying on the American Side of Niagara Falls....probably be a tariff on you to return!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/04 18:36:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/07/05 06:21:01
JRPfeff
wj,

Is the Downing Cafe on your list while in Wisconsin next May?

Jim

I don't even have any thoughts about that trip yet... It would be nice to revisit the Old Fashioned in Madison and Norske Nook in Osseo though now that I think about it as I'm writing.. 

ChiTownDiner
Glad to see you are staying on the American Side of Niagara Falls....probably be a tariff on you to return!  

Well we want to make it to Sokolowski's at a reasonable hour
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/05 06:21:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/07/05 06:43:49
I should have my additions to your trip completed within the following week!  It will fill in all the nooks and crannies!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/05 08:04:29 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I should have my additions to your trip completed within the following week!  It will fill in all the nooks and crannies!  

Oh those?? I already have then filled with my coffeehouse stops already... List to be posted eventually....
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/05 08:44:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/07/05 09:21:01
No no no...you got Mrs Folger in the hotel for that...I'm talking 2nd breakfast, 3rd lunch, important stuff!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/05 09:04:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/07/05 09:44:10
ChiTownDiner
No no no...you got Mrs Folger in the hotel for that...I'm talking 2nd breakfast, 3rd lunch, important stuff!  

rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1410
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/05 16:24:44 (permalink)
Fun things to see in Pella:   https://www.pellahistorical.org/exhibits
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/06 14:56:57 (permalink)
rumaki
Fun things to see in Pella:   https://www.pellahistorical.org/exhibits

Thanks rumaki-
We plan to spend an entire morning in Pella so we will certainly try to fit that in.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11781
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/07/07 12:43:59 (permalink)
Amazing trip, Dale.  You're going to need a vacation when you get home!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/03 19:38:21 (permalink)
I changed the title of the thread to suit the realization that our big trip is actually 7 weeks away from today. 
I'm still holding out that Chris Madrid's renovated post fire restaurant will reopen by then and they will no longer be operating from a food truck. 
The only change I made is that due to  logistics (a one hour time zone change) and meeting up with a couple of old Roadfood friends in Eastern TN, we will not be going to Merridee's Bread Basket or Puckett's Grocery in Franklin but will go to Rotier's Restaurant in Nashville instead.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/03 19:59:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/08/05 16:44:25
Here's to a great trip Dale. May the curse of the Travellin Man stay far from you and Sandra.
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 628
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/04 08:30:17 (permalink)
Epic trip!!!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/04 10:10:15 (permalink)
I just realized we're only hitting two Texas BBQ Joints, however when both  Louie Mueller's and Pody's are listed in the top 50 BBQ Joints by Texas Monthly, that certainly means alot.

After seeing photos of the Pimento Cheese Sandwich on Roadfood and on Yelp , I'm also  really glad I switched to Rotier's in Nashville- Sadly I discovered Ellston Place Soda Shop, no longer has lemon ice box pie on their menu. Everything else i had there was very underwhelming (not good at all), why they would take the best thing they did, off the menu is beyond me?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/04 19:21:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/08/05 16:44:35
wanderingjew Everything else i had there was very underwhelming (not good at all), why they would take the best thing they did, off the menu is beyond me?

Not naming names.

OK.

Gregg Pill.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/05 16:44:06 (permalink)
JRPfeff
wanderingjew Everything else i had there was very underwhelming (not good at all), why they would take the best thing they did, off the menu is beyond me?

Not naming names.

OK.

Gregg Pill.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6952
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/06 11:19:01 (permalink)
On your travels through Virginia, be sure to spend a little time in Staunton, The Queen City of the Shenandoah Valley. 

I lived there for six years and truly love the place.  And, since (1975) they began allowing sales of liquor-by-the-drink the local food scene has truly flourished. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/06 15:11:32 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
On your travels through Virginia, be sure to spend a little time in Staunton, The Queen City of the Shenandoah Valley. 

I lived there for six years and truly love the place.  And, since (1975) they began allowing sales of liquor-by-the-drink the local food scene has truly flourished. 

MJ

We will be going through  Staunton the day before we head home .We're going to have a very ambitious day  starting in Newport TN and Ending in Winchester VA.
Besides stopping at Galax Smokehouse for lunch, we may stop at  Hotel Roanoke to sample their version of peanut soup and spoonbread, then it's on to the Floyd Country Store to wander around and check out their Saturday afternoon concert... We will then head to Staunton to have dinner at Mrs. Rowe's...Depending on how we're doing on time we may check out the town itself, however from there we plan to stop at Southern Kitchen for peanut soup, and then the Wayside in Middletown for drinks and perhaps even check out their version of peanut soup before calling it a night in Winchester.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6952
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/07 10:35:42 (permalink)
wanderingjew
MetroplexJim

MJ

We will be going through  Staunton the day before we head home .We're going to have a very ambitious day  starting in Newport TN and Ending in Winchester VA.
Besides stopping at Galax Smokehouse for lunch, we may stop at  Hotel Roanoke to sample their version of peanut soup and spoonbread, then it's on to the Floyd Country Store to wander around and check out their Saturday afternoon concert... We will then head to Staunton to have dinner at Mrs. Rowe's...Depending on how we're doing on time we may check out the town itself, however from there we plan to stop at Southern Kitchen for peanut soup, and then the Wayside in Middletown for drinks and perhaps even check out their version of peanut soup before calling it a night in Winchester.

You have a solid 'program' for the area.  I've visited both the Hotel Roanoke and Mrs. Rowe's off and on since my childhood in the 1950's.  Prior to the interstates, Route 11 through the Shenandoah Valley was 'the' route for Pittsburghers on their way to Florida destinations (in our case, Ft. Myers).  The Hotel Roanoke was our first and last 'overnights' on those trips; I remember that we always 'dressed' for dinner there.

As Staunton is rather small, I recommend at least a 'drive through' to  take in both its steep topography and Victorian architecture: East and West Beverly, New, Coulter, and Frederick Streets and the stately grounds of my former employer, Mary Baldwin University.  Gypsy Hill Park is also a quick (and literal) drive-around; it is 'small-town America' at its finest!

Enjoy! 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/08/07 10:37:05
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/07 20:31:50 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
wanderingjew
MetroplexJim

MJ

You have a solid 'program' for the area.  I've visited both the Hotel Roanoke and Mrs. Rowe's off and on since my childhood in the 1950's.  Prior to the interstates, Route 11 through the Shenandoah Valley was 'the' route for Pittsburghers on their way to Florida destinations (in our case, Ft. Myers).  The Hotel Roanoke was our first and last 'overnights' on those trips; I remember that we always 'dressed' for dinner there.

As Staunton is rather small, I recommend at least a 'drive through' to  take in both its steep topography and Victorian architecture: East and West Beverly, New, Coulter, and Frederick Streets and the stately grounds of my former employer, Mary Baldwin University.  Gypsy Hill Park is also a quick (and literal) drive-around; it is 'small-town America' at its finest!

Enjoy! 

I suspect we may be a little "underdressed" for the Hotel Roanoke, so we may skip it if we're short on time..
Well now that you mentioned that Staunton was the home of your former employer, then I can't imagine not visiting.  I'm sure we'll have an hour or so to kill before dinner at Mrs. Rowe's- that's of course if we don't get hung up at the Floyd Country Store and their  live afternoon shows featuring "Americana"
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1410
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/10 16:02:17 (permalink)
According to Open Table website, "business casual" will do at the Regency Room in the Hotel Roanoke.
https://www.opentable.com/regency-dining-room-the-hotel-roanoke-and-conference-center

I stayed there in July 1981 when I was taking the Virginia bar exam.  Just happened to coincide with the wedding of Prince Charles and Diana, and I ordered room service (the wedding was early in the morning US time) for breakfast in bed on the second (multi-state exam) day of the exams -- which I didn't have to take, having already passed the multi-state when I took the NY bar in 1979. 

The room service tea was presented in a silver service.  I also had lunch in the dining room between exam sessions the first day; the food was quite good (I think I had chicken livers).  But again, this was nearly 40 years ago.  

They also have the recipes for spoon bread and peanut soup on their web site, in case you don't manage to get there to eat.
http://www.hotelroanoke.c...hotel_roanoke_recipes/
post edited by rumaki - 2018/08/10 16:15:04
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/10 18:49:05 (permalink)
Thanks Rumaki

Alot of what we do that day will depend on timing, since we also want to enjoy the drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains as much as we can
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5