Helpful ReplyHot!Our final trip of 2018

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5523
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/22 09:40:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/08/22 10:57:20
Very appropriate, as boudoir photography is ChiBears' specialty.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10547
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/22 13:11:54 (permalink)
Boudoir modeling is in the ChiTownDiner department..not mine...
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12333
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/22 13:55:37 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I also added Maria's Taco Express in Austin after seeing buffetbuster's instagram photos- Although I suspect Sandra will want to kill me  for going anywhere with any style of Mexican food at that point in our trip.

The ultimate in Keep Austin Weird restaurant and the food is fantastic.  Our vegetarian friend loved her cactus taco (no I am not making that up) and my chicken enchilada mole was first-rate.  And the people could not be nicer.  When I asked about the elote dish we enjoyed last year, but didn't see it on the menu board this year, they were more than happy to make it for Mariton. 

I can't imagine going to Austin and not eating here.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/22 14:06:20 (permalink)
buffetbuster
wanderingjew

I also added Maria's Taco Express in Austin after seeing buffetbuster's instagram photos- Although I suspect Sandra will want to kill me  for going anywhere with any style of Mexican food at that point in our trip.

The ultimate in Keep Austin Weird restaurant and the food is fantastic.  Our vegetarian friend loved her cactus taco (no I am not making that up) and my chicken enchilada mole was first-rate.  And the people could not be nicer.  When I asked about the elote dish we enjoyed last year, but didn't see it on the menu board this year, they were more than happy to make it for Mariton. 

My first inclination was to  go to Monument Café for breakfast tacos but that would deter us from morning sightseeing around Austin since we would be heading further east to Louie Mueller's. Then I saw your review and the food and found out they have simple breakfast tacos for Sandra and perhaps some more adventurous stuff for me. Maria's looks perfect.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5163
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/22 14:43:03 (permalink)
wanderingjew
buffetbuster
wanderingjew

My first inclination was to  go to Monument Café for breakfast tacos but that would deter us from morning sightseeing around Austin since we would be heading further east to Louie Mueller's. Then I saw your review and the food and found out they have simple breakfast tacos for Sandra and perhaps some more adventurous stuff for me. Maria's looks perfect.

Watch the diet...Boudoir photos can be very, revealing, especially with ChiBears15 wide angle lens. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/23 08:04:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/08/23 09:18:51
The good news is I checked with The Coffee Cup in Sully IA and they will have Sour Cream Raisin Pie available the day we visit.
I also checked with Mrs. Rowe's in Staunton VA and although they could run out of spoon bread later in the day, they'll make sure it's available for us when we visit.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 878
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 10:09:27 (permalink)
I'm going to either The Coffee Cup or the Grove Cafe on I believe the morning of Sept. 18. The Grove is more convenient in terms of where we'll be heading that day, but I'd rather eat at The Coffee Cup. Your post made me take another look at the roadfood review and that photo of the banana-cream pie is calling me.

I had wanted to try sour-cream raisin pie for a while, but I was skeptical that I'd like it because I generally am not nuts about sour cream.  Maybe a year or two ago, my wife, who used to be a professional baker, made one using a very highly rated recipe I found online and I really didn't like it. At one time, I would have figured a slice of sour-cream raisin would be a must try for me on a trip to that part of the country. But I think I'll stick with flavors I know I'll like at this point.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 10:53:46 (permalink)
phlmaestro-
The idea of sour cream raisin pie had no appeal to me when I first read about it and now it is clearly my favorite pie.  But, I have also had many bad ones.  Please try it at a place that is well known for it and it might change your mind.

Grove Café is a fine place, but The Coffee Cup is an all-time Roadfood great.  I have never had their sour cream raisin pie (and I am very jealous that WJ gets to try it), but their banana cream sets the gold standard.  BTW, if you are going to The Coffee Cup, don't wait until too late in the day.  The pies go fast, starting with that banana cream.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 10:59:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the advice, Buffetbuster.   We'd be going for breakfast, so I think we'll be okay with pie selection.

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 11:14:28 (permalink)
We'll also be heading to Coffee Cup for an early lunch so we can move on to Kansas City and try to get some late afternoon sight seeing in.
I'll have to remind Sandra not to fill up on Dutch Letters and Apple Bread that morning in Pella
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 12:57:07 (permalink)
phlmaestro
Thanks for the advice, Buffetbuster.   We'd be going for breakfast, so I think we'll be okay with pie selection.

So now you have to worry about getting there too early before the pies come out of the oven.  Nothing is ever easy, is it?
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 14:03:24 (permalink)
Nothing wrong with getting a little extra sleep in the morning!
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/24 21:40:45 (permalink)
wanderingjew
We'll also be heading to Coffee Cup for an early lunch so we can move on to Kansas City and try to get some late afternoon sight seeing in.

I know you already have an agenda for the Kansas City area, but if it's not set in stone, and you haven't already been to the National World War I museum, I can't recommend it highly enough. I won't hesitate in saying it's the greatest history museum I've ever been in. The amount of stuff they have is incredible. I also enjoyed the Truman stuff in Independence, which I saw on your list.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/25 09:45:31 (permalink)
phlmaestro
wanderingjew

I know you already have an agenda for the Kansas City area, but if it's not set in stone, and you haven't already been to the National World War I museum, I can't recommend it highly enough. I won't hesitate in saying it's the greatest history museum I've ever been in. The amount of stuff they have is incredible. I also enjoyed the Truman stuff in Independence, which I saw on your list.

Sounds wonderful. If this were a solo trip I'd be all over it, but since this is Sandra's first  "real" visit to Kansas City ( I don't count our quick lunch stop at Danny Edward's Blvd BBQ last year) I don't think this will interest her as much as it would interest me. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2018/08/31 16:35:38 (permalink)
I just got some disappointing news from  Chris Madrid's in San Antonio that  it's very unlikely that they will  reopen their renovated post fire restaurant by early October. Clearly this is well past late summer (as we would be into mid fall by then)
After doing some research, unless something changes , it looks like we'll be going to The Longhorn Café instead.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5