Helpful ReplyOur local Clam Box is for sale

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2777
2019/01/30 09:44:31 (permalink)

Our local Clam Box is for sale

The local paper, Worcester Telegram and Gazette wrote today that the local Clam Box on Dresser Hill is for sale. We have had several with the name come and go. I don't think that they have any connection with the "real" Clam Box. I've eaten at most of them, but not the one on Dresser Hill. Except for the "real" place, I find the experience to have been variable. $800k a clam shack with no special reputation seems out of line, even if it includes 2 apartments.

I remember a stone mason telling a story: A sales man was trying to sell him a new, special machine to trim stone for about $500,000. The mason joked that if he could afford the machine, he wouldn't have to be a stone mason. Taking on an $800,000 burden for the privilage of working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, frying clams, doesn't look like a viable deal to me. 
post edited by tmiles - 2019/02/01 09:14:16
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/01/30 10:11:51 (permalink)
If stone equipment costs that much, maybe thats why all the new buildings built around here have NO trim on them. None. The walls look just like sheet rock. They wouldn't even be attractive shoeboxes. I used to think that KB homes and such were the ugliest, flimsiest looking buildings which ever were. I was wrong.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12168
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/01/30 21:12:00 (permalink)
Someone buy it and move it to Los Angeles!  Please.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3089
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/01/31 10:15:13 (permalink)
I could buy a few fryers and put a sign on a new store front that says "Another Clam Box"......Frying clams isn't rocket science. Just make sure you pile them high. The tourists don't care what the cost is as long as they get their fill......I'll have two lobster rolls with that....Also don't give me a prepackaged tartar sauce. If I'm paying $18 for Ipswich clams I want homemade tartar sauce and cocktail sauce......I would pay between $18 to $26 for whole belly Ipswich clams and smile while doing it....Extra tartar please!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23195
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/01/31 11:51:57 (permalink)
pnwchef
I could buy a few fryers and put a sign on a new store front that says "Another Clam Box"......Frying clams isn't rocket science. Just make sure you pile them high. The tourists don't care what the cost is as long as they get their fill......I'll have two lobster rolls with that....Also don't give me a prepackaged tartar sauce. If I'm paying $18 for Ipswich clams I want homemade tartar sauce and cocktail sauce......I would pay between $18 to $26 for whole belly Ipswich clams and smile while doing it....Extra tartar please!!!!

You know Bill, I used to get two lobster rolls,, two hot dogs, a pint of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell and a pineapple drink at Jimmies and get change from a five dollar bill. I hear prices have gone up a little recently.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/01/31 15:34:09 (permalink)
mar52
Someone buy it and move it to Los Angeles!  Please.

Hey! Los Angeles already has decent seafood. Move it to Dallas. We are starved for really good seafood!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/01/31 15:41:41 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef

You know Bill, I used to get two lobster rolls,, two hot dogs, a pint of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell and a pineapple drink at Jimmies and get change from a five dollar bill. I hear prices have gone up a little recently.

When I was a kid growing up on Long Island, I remember when (dug that morning) clams on the half shell were only .98 cents for a "baker's dozen.
Now, they're about $1.00 for each clam!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/02/01 08:54:22 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef

Michael, I looked up Jimmies on Yelp and they only get 2 stars. I remember Jimmies being pretty good. I always remember they put the fried clams and seafood platter on a piece of toast. I don't remember Fish and Chips being a "thing" back then. Like stopping for a hot dog, on the way home from Downtown Bpt I would stop at a small place across from the Loew's Poli movie Theatre.We would get a few stuffed & Baked clams topped with cocktail sauce for the walk home. 
  The only place I remember eating fish was the fish fry at Howard Johnsons. I figure they were used Haddock for the fish. 
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2777
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/02/01 09:13:30 (permalink)
pnwchef

The fried razor clams that I've had in your area are very good. They are not Ipswich clams, but then Ipswich clams are not razor clams either........I like both. Whole clams (out of the shell), I am told, freeze well, but need to be fully thawed to fry. I am surprised that Ipswich clams are hard to find in the West, and razor clams hard to find in the East. 
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/02/01 09:40:21 (permalink)
tmiles, I see the clams out here are more chewy, but have a good clam flavor. The Ipswich clam to be is the "Creme de la creme" of clams. I also grew up with cherrystone clams and littlenecks. I would give $24 for a doz  chilled raw cherry stone clams on the half shell. The last time I had clams on the half shell was in Boston a few years ago. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/02/03 14:15:30 (permalink)
pnwchef
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef

Michael, I looked up Jimmies on Yelp and they only get 2 stars. I remember Jimmies being pretty good. I always remember they put the fried clams and seafood platter on a piece of toast. I don't remember Fish and Chips being a "thing" back then. Like stopping for a hot dog, on the way home from Downtown Bpt I would stop at a small place across from the Loew's Poli movie Theatre.We would get a few stuffed & Baked clams topped with cocktail sauce for the walk home. 
  The only place I remember eating fish was the fish fry at Howard Johnsons. I figure they were used Haddock for the fish. 

Bill, back in the '60s, when West Haven shut down Jimmies, Turks and Phyllis's outdoor operations Jimmies and Turk's moved and became what they are today -- sit-down places and poor imitations of "nice" restaurants. I don't know how Jimmies got even two stars. As for Turk's, well when we were in Connecticut a few years ago my sister wanted to meet us at Turk's. Back in the "old days" Turk's was pretty good. I made the mistake of ordering a lobster roll.

Things change.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
pnwchef
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef

Bill, back in the '60s, when West Haven shut down Jimmies, Turks and Phyllis's outdoor operations Jimmies and Turk's moved and became what they are today -- sit-down places and poor imitations of "nice" restaurants. I don't know how Jimmies got even two stars. As for Turk's, well when we were in Connecticut a few years ago my sister wanted to meet us at Turk's. Back in the "old days" Turk's was pretty good. I made the mistake of ordering a lobster roll.

Things change.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
pnwchef
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef

Things change.

JoyB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Our local Clam Box is for sale 2019/05/15 16:23:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tmiles 2019/05/18 11:56:01
Jimmies is not what it was when I was growing up in Bridgeport. Phyllis's brings back some memories too...ahhh, Savin Rock and then to either of those two.

I don't remember that place near the Poli but there was a place on Wood Ave. that was only open on Fridays that served Fish and chips to die for. So fresh. You could smell that place for a few blocks when it was frying hundreds of orders for the "during lent" crowd. Ahhh, memories of great food. 
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5