Oysters will save New York!

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9201
2019/01/17 09:29:05 (permalink)

Oysters will save New York!

It'll be interesting to see where the Billion Oyster Project is at 20 years from now, but it sounds like it's off to a good start.

4 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2777
    Re: Oysters will save New York! 2019/01/18 10:23:01 (permalink)
    Thanks! It is good to hear about a project that is working. One of my late Dad's best friends re introduced eagles to Massachusetts, and after being gone for 100 years, and after several failures, turkeys are back here in giant numbers. Salmon, on the other hand, have been a failure in most of the northeast.  Tons of $$$ have been spent with little result. At this point, scientists are re-grouping to try and work forward from the few, small, success stories.

Every story has a downside. Here in Massachusetts, we had a good population of feral (wild, but not native) ring neck pheasants. They had come from stocked, Chinese, birds that had escaped hunting season, and then moved into the niche vacated by the locally extinct turkeys. Now that the turkeys are back, I don't know of a single hunter who has bagged a "wild" (not stocked) pheasant in years. I have never eaten wild turkey, hearing it to be "nasty". It is the land version of bluefish ............sportsmen give a lot away. Pheasant, on the other hand, is wonderful.

Our local state senator is a former wildlife cop. Thru his efforts, our Massachusetts wildlife laws are getting updated. He is also pro business, and he understands that good wildlife protection (and use) , can be good for business.
    post edited by tmiles - 2019/01/18 10:34:40
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9201
    Re: Oysters will save New York! 2019/01/19 09:34:43 (permalink)
    That's an interesting observation about pheasants.  The wild turkey population here in southern WI has really increased in the past decade or two, and nowadays if I see a single pheasant over the course of a year it's noteworthy.

My son-in-law hunts and one of the few things he won't harvest and eat is turkey, so we stick to the bottled variety.
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1823
    Re: Oysters will save New York! 2019/01/19 10:47:28 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    That's an interesting observation about pheasants.  The wild turkey population here in southern WI has really increased in the past decade or two, and nowadays if I see a single pheasant over the course of a year it's noteworthy.

My son-in-law hunts and one of the few things he won't harvest and eat is turkey, so we stick to the bottled variety.

Tell him to get out there and hunt them! You guys have plenty of them in Wisconsin!
    https://www.greenbaypress...in-original/100485872/
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3089
    Re: Oysters will save New York! 2019/01/20 17:50:42 (permalink)
    When man fails let the shellfish save other waters. I can't wait for the forrest service to hand over fire prevention to the bears.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5