Helpful ReplyPaesano's Philly-Style Sandwiches

Author
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 777
2018/03/13 13:09:19 (permalink)

Paesano's Philly-Style Sandwiches

This place is tremendous. They've been around for I would say 5-10 years, and I knew they had a great reputation, but for a variety of reasons, I never got around to trying them until today for lunch. My very high expectations were exceeded.

I ordered their Arista sandwich, which is a traditional roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone on a seeded long roll. It comes with long-hot peppers, but I ordered mine without those. I don't like peppers on my sandwiches.

This was without a doubt one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten. Without hesitation, I'd send someone to this place for a Philly-style roast pork sandwich before any of the other legendary places in town.

I took photos of the sandwich and will post one or more of them tonight.

Here is their web site:  http://www.paesanosphillystyle.com/

And here is the review of them from the late Holly Moore's site:  http://www.hollyeats.com/Paesanos.htm

They have three locations: South Philly, Northern Liberties (north of the historic district) and North Phillly at Temple University.  We had delivery from the Northern Liberties location. Their menu is not at all typical of Philly sandwich shops. They've got some unusual stuff on there. But again, I've read nothing but rave reviews over the years.

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Paesano's Philly-Style Sandwiches 2018/03/13 15:56:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/03/14 06:23:32
Actually, here is a shot of the sandwich I had that I found online. This is better than the photos I took:

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9371
Re: Paesano's Philly-Style Sandwiches 2018/03/13 16:48:08 (permalink)
OMG,that looks great!
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5568
Re: Paesano's Philly-Style Sandwiches 2018/03/13 18:01:38 (permalink)
What cut do Philadelphia Sandwich shops use for their roast pork?
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Paesano's Philly-Style Sandwiches 2018/03/13 20:53:29 (permalink)
I've never asked or even seen it discussed. This had the look and feel of pulled pork, so I would think it was from the shoulder. 

DiNic's in the Reading Terminal offers two types of pork sandwiches: a pulled pork, that is probably shoulder, and a thinly sliced pork that costs a little less. I guess that could be from the tenderloin, but I'm not sure by any means.  It's been a while since I've had a roast pork from Tony Luke's or John's. While my memory is fresh enough to know I've never been as blown away by an Italian roast pork sandwich at any of those other places as I was by the sandwich I had from Paesano's today, it's been too long and I haven't eaten at TL's or John's enough times for me to say with certainty what cut they use. But I don't recall them being similar to the pulled pork I had today and the photos I see of the roast pork sandwiches at those two other places look more similar to the thinly sliced pork offered at DiNic's.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/03/13 21:03:26
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5