Paradigmatic Biscuits

Author
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1953
2017/02/27 08:48:04 (permalink)

Paradigmatic Biscuits

That's how today's home page described the biscuits at OliBea. Had to go to the OED to look up that one. When did Roadfoad get so La-Di-Dah?

5 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6650
    Re: Paradigmatic Biscuits 2017/02/27 11:50:27 (permalink)
    It simply means that Michael really liked the biscuits - so much, in fact, that they must be considered to be a unique, new achievement in the art and science of biscuit-making. 

In so doing he employed an elegant word that expresses precisely the same feeling I had after driving my first Lexus, dining in Paris, and dating ...  well, my meaning is clear.

Language is the software of the brain and we are very fortunate that our programming is the English Language.  Our ever expanding dictionary is the world's thickest, making precise communication possible.  When we need a new word, we invent one; when another language has an elegant way of expressing something, we incorporate it (e.g., Schadenfruede).  

As other languages, e.g., use the identical words for "win" & "earn", for "finger" and "toe", for "turn off" and "extinguish", precise communication is often difficult.  And it is for that reason that I applaud the use of "La-Di-Dah" words, most especially when they convey thoughts and feelings with precision.

------------------

And, those biscuits do look delicious.

From the picture it looks like, after baking, they spent a little time finish-frying in butter/bacon grease atop a flat-top grill - very much the same "technique" employed by Waffle House.
    Ghaz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re: Paradigmatic Biscuits 2017/02/27 12:19:49 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    It simply means that Michael really liked the biscuits - so much, in fact, that they must be considered to be a unique, new achievement in the art and science of biscuit-making. 

Onelook defines 'paradigmatic' as "... providing a typical example or model of something".

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Paradigmatic Biscuits 2017/02/27 13:13:18 (permalink)
    Ghaz
    MetroplexJim

Onelook defines 'paradigmatic' as "... providing a typical example or model of something".

In an etymological sense a paradigmatic is indeed "an example" or "a model".  Is employing the term to describe something praise, pejoration, or merely description?

Example:  Donald J. Trump's Presidency is paradigmatic.  

Am I praising the President?  Mocking him?  Simply describing him as 'different'? 

To determine that, one needs context.  And, as I offer none, no conclusion as to my feelings for the President may logically be drawn.

But, as extensive context is given in the review the use of "paradigmatic" is exceptional high praise.  So exceptional that it may be properly concluded that Mr. Stern considers it to be a new type of biscuit that presents a standard against which all other biscuits must now be judged. 
    Ghaz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re: Paradigmatic Biscuits 2017/02/27 13:26:22 (permalink)
    'Paradigm' however doesn't mean 'unique'.  In this case, it basically means it's what all biscuits should strive to be as it's the very definition of what a biscuit should be.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Paradigmatic Biscuits 2017/02/27 15:08:48 (permalink)
    Ghaz
    'Paradigm' however doesn't mean 'unique'.  In this case, it basically means it's what all biscuits should strive to be as it's the very definition of what a biscuit should be.

You have a point there.

That said, it is evident from the review that it was unique to his demonstrably vast experience.

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5