Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1999
2018/01/20 22:53:42 (permalink)

Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91

https://www.npr.org/secti...amp;utm_medium=twitter
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4801
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/21 12:32:12 (permalink)
Another great one passes...so sorry to hear! 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4194
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/21 13:09:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/01/21 15:50:53
I was so sad to read about his death.  He was one of two great chefs, in France, that I have personally met.  He was a very nice person and had a great sense of humor.

When we planned our trip to France, my husband had me make a list of the famous restaurants that I wanted to have a meal.  Boscuse's restaurant was on the list. one morning, we took the "fast train" from Paris to Lyon and  then a taxi to his restaurant for lunch. We had a 15 year old French boy with us who was a few years older than our son.  We were  seated.  I was in awe  that we were actually  eating there. We ordered our meals. I  don't remember the fish that I ordered but will never forget the soup.  I had read about it so many times.............it was his truffle soup under a puffy  pastry shell.  It was the most beautiful soup  presentation that I have ever seen and to this day, I can still remember how delicious it was.
 Sitting right near us, in a corner was a couple who seemed to have a couple of men hovering nearby.  Philipe, our French boy, whispered to us that it was the president and his wife and that it was her birthday. While we were sitting , sipping some on the last of our wine and waiting for the dessert menu, Paul Bocuse walked in and over to the President's table to say "Good bye" to him and then came over to our table to greet us.  

We knew enough French to say hello and how happy were there to eat and to meet him  From then on Phillipe interperted for us.  A large grin came over his face when he found that we were Americans.  He motioned to the waiter standing by and sat with us.  The waiter soon appeared with glasses and a bottle of wine and proceeded to  pour for all of us.   He was happy to talk to us because he was opening a restaurant in Epcot at Disneyworld.  He was interested to know that we had gone there the year before with Phillipe and his parents.  He stood up and thanked us for coming and allowing us to let him sit with us.  The waiter then appeared with a large rolling cart filled with luscious looking desserts and told us that it was a gift to us from Bocuse and that we were to eat as many as we wanted.

The boys did their best to make him know that  the gift was appreciated! One last thing which made the whole event funny was that when we first sat down, I wanted my son to take a picture of us and he said "No, it is too fancy a place". A while later, he came back and laughingly told us to take all the pictures that we wanted because it was a "tourist looking " restaurant with all the pictures of Bocuse, and even a gift shop. So now in a scrapbook I have a picture of Paul Bocuse at our table. 
post edited by Greymo - 2018/01/21 13:14:40
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22727
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/21 14:40:24 (permalink)
Wow! Was the French president, by any chance, Francois Mitterrand?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5719
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/21 19:39:50 (permalink)
Great story, Greymo. Well, at least France had a president who enjoyed and appreciated fine food. He was probably never interested in eating a taco bowl or a MacDonald's cheeseburger.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2018/01/22 10:43:21
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9007
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/22 09:03:12 (permalink)
Really enjoyed your story, Greymo. Love memories like that!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4194
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/22 20:16:18 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Yes, it was.  The most amazing thing (and hard to believe) is that evening we had a late dinner at an elegant restaurant in Paris where our French people wanted to take us.  The food was not memorable but this part was.  A few tables away,  Mitterand was  dining..................with his mistress!  Our French friends were giddy with excitement.  My thought on the whole thing was his wife had a much better meal that day than his mistress.
post edited by Greymo - 2018/01/22 20:20:34
SteveHalloway
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/23 02:22:57 (permalink)
Another legend, gone. Godspeed, Paul Bocuse. :(
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5084
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/23 08:15:47 (permalink)
Greymo,

You have the best stories.

Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22727
Re: Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91 2018/01/23 14:01:38 (permalink)
Greymo
Michael Hoffman

Yes, it was.  The most amazing thing (and hard to believe) is that evening we had a late dinner at an elegant restaurant in Paris where our French people wanted to take us.  The food was not memorable but this part was.  A few tables away,  Mitterand was  dining..................with his mistress!  Our French friends were giddy with excitement.  My thought on the whole thing was his wife had a much better meal that day than his mistress.

I asked because when Lisa was working as a chef for a French family at their chateau Mitterrand dropped by to visit and was invited to stay for dinner. As it was to be the last evening before returning to their home in Paris there were just leftovers available. And so the chef fed the president of France leftovers for dinner.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5