Helpful ReplyPennsylvania and West Virginia

Author
fishorcutbait
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2014/09/26 10:07:22 (permalink)

Pennsylvania and West Virginia

My first post so please bear with me.......
I did search and was fruitful but as the dates were so old I thought I would rebait the hook and cast again.
Roadtrip from Houston, Texas to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania (the hubs is a huge battle theory buff and ticking a few Civil War battles off his list).
Have booked a room in Gettysburg as our base of ops for 5 days.
When tripping our idea of eating is mostly simple.... plate lunches, sandwiches, local treats and always-always a great cheeseburger with real FFs.
My request .... a decent list of sit down Mom and Pops places and of course where to get a fabulous piece of pie and REAL cuppa joe about mid afternoon.
Will probably treat ourselves to one fine dining experience while there but not really at the top of the list.
So.
Southern PA along with all of West Virginia and northern Tennessee.
Thanks for reading and TIA for any tips yall may have.

post edited by fishorcutbait - 2014/09/26 10:12:55
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6646
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 10:30:40 (permalink)
When you are near Gettysburg, I suggest Chubby's BBQ.

Enjoy!

And, WELCOME TO ROADFOOD!!!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11448
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 10:39:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishorcutbait 2014/09/28 09:19:08
We were in Gettysburg in June and had two wonderful meals at Chubby's BBQ.  It's about 15-20 mins. from Gettysburg.  We found a great coffee shop downtown called Café Saint-Amand on Baltimore St.  Enjoy your trip.......and welcome to Roadfood!!! 
fishorcutbait
Junior Burger
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 10:52:38 (permalink)
Thanx folks and keep em coming!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11448
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 11:01:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishorcutbait 2014/09/28 09:19:23
One of our very, very well traveled Roadfooders, wanderingjew, has said that the Farnsworth House Inn is on his list next time he visits Gettysburg.  http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com/home.html
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 11:08:18 (permalink)
When my family last visited Gettysburg we ate at the Lincoln Diner.http://www.yelp.com/biz/lincoln-diner-gettysburg
You will note that the reviews are "all over the place". All I can say is that my family liked the place and enjoyed the food. Parking is a bit of a challenge, however.

AND already mentioned by MetroplexJim, try http://chubbysbbq.net/.....
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 12:12:13 (permalink)
The best BBQ along the Mason-Dixon Line in my (and a lot of others') opinion is Frontier Bar-B-Q in Fairfield, PA.  Cash only and open Friday, Saturday & Sunday 11AM-5-PM.  Don't go too close to closing time or you will miss out.  If you're a fan of Bluegrass music, they often have live bands playing.  Beef, chicken,  pulled pork and ribs all equally excellent as are the sides, especially the onion rings and smokehouse chili.  Always check their Facebook page before going for hours and weekly specials.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/FRONTIER-BAR-B-Q/280065426298
post edited by Treetop Tom - 2014/09/26 13:30:50
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/26 20:33:12 (permalink)
fishorcutbait
So.

It would be really helpful if you could tell us which interstates you will be taking/ which major cities you will be travelling through. 

(BTW: Knowing well the optimal driving route from Dallas to Washington (30 to 40 to 81 to 66), nothing I could imagine from Houston would include 64 or the PA Turnpike).  

In any case, letting us know your intended route would elicit better results for you. 
fishorcutbait
Junior Burger
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/27 01:02:32 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
fishorcutbait
So.

It would be really helpful if you could tell us which interstates you will be taking/ which major cities you will be travelling through. 

(BTW: Knowing well the optimal driving route from Dallas to Washington (30 to 40 to 81 to 66), nothing I could imagine from Houston would include 64 or the PA Turnpike).  

In any case, letting us know your intended route would elicit better results for you. 

Sorry about that.
Will be staying in Gettysburg area and making day trips to the states I mentioned (since we will be doing a lot of exploring ANY help in those areas will be appreciated, as the distance to have a great meal doesn't really matter.... whets the appetite lol)
Totally forgot will need to eat on the way up and back.
When 'tripping north we always go east thru the gulf states then swing north.
No problems this time until Meridian, Mississippi.
I 59 to I 24 thru Chattanooga and East Ridge Tennessee then I 75 to Knoxville.
From I 75 to we take I 40 to I 81 all the way to Chambersburg, Pa.
That last bit is around 400 plus miles and would really appreciate a few tried and true pit stop suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far!
I think I am going to like it here!
post edited by fishorcutbait - 2014/09/27 01:08:44
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/27 12:03:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishorcutbait 2014/09/28 09:18:25
fishorcutbait

... to I 81 all the way to Chambersburg, Pa.
That last bit is around 400 plus miles and would really appreciate a few tried and true pit stop suggestions.

Both for dining and your 'junk shopping' I highly recommend Staunton, VA for a leisurely stop. 

It is called The Queen City of the Shenandoah Valley for good reason; it's a true Victorian-era gem with lots of excellent dining choices such as this one which has been reviewed several times here on Roadfood. 

And it has the shopping opportunities you seek 'in spades'.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/27 13:22:06 (permalink)
Sorry to hear you experienced trouble in my hometown. Sadly, once upon a time Meridian had quite a few good Roadfood places to eat at, but now they've almost totally been replaced with bad buffets and fast food chains. One jewel does still exist, though. Weidman's restaurant downtown. It's really a very short trip from the interstate but worth the stop. I do believe Buffet Buster or Wandering Jew stopped in there not too terribly long ago and had them in one of their reports. Even thought they are under new management, I understand the food is still as good as it was in past decades.

If you want to eat on that stretch though, you might stop over in Bessemer, Alabama and pop into Bob Syke's for some excellent BBQ and outstanding pies. Always worth the stop.
fishorcutbait
Junior Burger
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/28 08:26:00 (permalink)
Actually have never been thru Meridian, Root-Beer!
Just using it as a marker from which all beyond is a mystery!
As fishing is a hobby (thus the screen name ;) we have been back and forth to Fla enough to know where to feed ourselves (as well as pick junk lol).
This is the first time to use this particular route thus the total cluelessness of the areas we will enjoy... either passing thru or stopping to stretch our legs , get some pillow time or.....EAT!
Thanks for the suggestions... I am a huge fan of the buffet if done well.
Will def try to check it out .
oldeflame
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/28 08:50:02 (permalink)
Hey, there, fishorcutbait!   Howdy from a fellow Texan from Aransas Pass!

Coincidentally, tomorrow my 83 year old mother and I are starting on a 3 week roadtrip from here, going up to  New England for leaf-peeping and back down through the MW.  Leaving hubby at home with the dogs and the kitties, poor fella.

Thought I'd take a quick look here at the forums for interesting food along our way.  We'll be heading up north somewhat differently than y'all- taking mostly blue highways.  We will be stopping in Gettysburg too, and the Farnsworth House is on our list for lunch.

Maybe I'll post our own itinerary for some suggestions!
fishorcutbait
Junior Burger
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/28 09:11:10 (permalink)
Well met oldflame!
Yes!
Do post your route please (as well as all you discover in your wanderings!) as it can only help us all eventually.
Have enjoyed a fair amt of fishing in your area (as well as manymany spring breaks back when I was wild and free lol  ).
Be safe and say hey to mom for me!

edit.... was going to say something witty about coincidences but my mind totally blanked.
Probably due to all those spring breaks spent in your back yard lolol.
post edited by fishorcutbait - 2014/09/28 09:17:41
oldeflame
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/28 10:07:12 (permalink)
Fishing is right fine here!  When we moved to the Gulf, we couldn't afford actual waterfront, so when we were looking to buy a place in the area, hubby had to time how many minutes it would take to get the boat in the water from the various driveways- this house, at 4 minutes was the winner.

I promise not to tell any secrets about your spring-break past, but yes;  memory loss/unconsciousness and an occasional night in jail are frequent occurrences. 
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 550
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/28 11:45:55 (permalink)
Oh boy, where to start. There's plenty of good eats for you and some have been mentioned.

First of all, we both Mrs. Sippi and I loved Chubby's and had a really nice visit with Tom. If you drop by, let him know you heard about him on RF. Here's my blog review of my visit.
http://davwudsfoodcourt.blogspot.ca/2011/07/good-food-aint-cheap.html

We also thoroughly enjoyed the Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg as well. I can see where the reviews would be hit and miss. We had some hits and some misses. Even the locals can take it or leave it.

http://davwudsfoodcourt.blogspot.ca/2011/09/lincolns-other-gettysburg-address.html

A stop in Staunton, Va is very nice. There's a great drive in named Wright's Dairy Rite. They have some terrific options and with drive ins dying off, a nice trip back in time. Do a bit of walking, you'll enjoy it. BTW, it's pronounced STAN-TON.
http://davwudsfoodcourt.blogspot.ca/2011/08/dogzilla.html

We enjoyed Hunt's Cafe in Gettysburg quite a bit. It's a nice souvaneer shop/diner. Great cheesesteaks and "ades." I was disappointed with the fries. They were good but when hail them as a specialty, they should be outstanding. YMMV
http://davwudsfoodcourt.blogspot.ca/2011/11/battlefield-fries.html

A lot of your drive will take you along a route we travel quite a bit. So my blog will be chock full of places along that route. Far too many for me to go into great detail but here are links for Tennessee (recommend Champy's in Chatt. Nina's in Lynchburg. Prince's in Nashville. Chuck Wagon Diner in Fayetteville. Bell Buckle Cafe in Bell Buckle), West Virginia  and even Alabama since you'll be close.

Some regional foods you'll not find elsewhere are White BBQ Sauce in N/C Alabama, Slug Burgers in N. Mississippi, Slawburgers in Fayetteville, Tn, and Hot Chicken in Nashville. Delta Tamales can be found at Champy's.
If Antietam/Sharpsburg isn't on your itinerary, do so. Great field and if you get the right tour guide, the best tour.

Enjoy your trip. 
Your Hubby may be interested to know that Mrs. Sippi's GGGGrandfather was in the 34th Ms. Riffles and fought at the battle of Lookout Mt. as well as Perryville (Ky) among others. He was in the western theatre.

DT

fishorcutbait
Junior Burger
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/09/29 17:57:26 (permalink)
Wow DT!
Thanks ever so much for the blog links.
Great reading as well as brought the area's size into prospective for me.
We had no idea if the amt of time budgeted for this RT was enough and it seems it is.
For the first time anyway.
Have been watching y'all's weather and starting to get the impression that most of the color will be over tho.
The last week of October will be too late do you think?
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5634
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/10/01 14:44:30 (permalink)
I'm 200 yards of of I-81 in Inwood, WVa, exit 5. First off be sure to buy gas in the Winchester, Virginia area. Everything north of there is $.20-$.50 more expensive per gallon. If you have a Costco card they are the cheapest, they are off of exit 313 in Winchester. if not the flying J at exit 321, I believe it is, is the next best option.

As to food I have three good non-chain choices here in Inwood for you. The first would be 4Corners club, A local bar that serves really good American food. 95% of it is all freshly made in their kitchen. The desert especially are good and freshly homemade.

Second is Kings New York style pizza and Italian food. This is actually a small family run chain, I believe they now have six locations. All of them are ran by family members. The two brothers at this location are originally from Naples Italy. Actually the whole family is from Naples. Very good quality food I especially like their homemade Alfredo sauce. The staff here is an interesting cultural mix. The cooks are a mix of Italian and Mexican, The waitstaff is a mix of Indonesians, Russians, Ukrainians and Americans. I particularly like the Russian girl.

We finally have good Mexican food here, a place called Serrano grill. Although coming from Houston you may have your fill of Mexican food. My family and I having moved here from Central California found that the Mexican food here sucked. That is no longer the case.

BTW mom was from Texas city originally, I still have several cousins in that immediate area.
Heartbreaksoup
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 629
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/10/06 14:27:18 (permalink)
Chattanooga and Knoxville are covered pretty decently at my blog, Marie, Let's Eat!:

http://marieletseat.com/

Up I-81, you've got the Bean Barn in Greenville TN, which I have not tried but would like to.  There's also the amusing oddball hot dog 'n burger chain, Pal's Sudden Service, with multiple locations in Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol, plus The Original Ridgewood Barbecue in Bluff City TN, which is really great and serves BBQ unlike almost everybody else's:

http://marieletseat.com/2014/05/11/the-original-ridgewood-barbecue-bluff-city-tn/

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 550
Re: Pennsylvania and West Virginia 2014/10/07 08:55:50 (permalink)
fishorcutbait
Wow DT!
Thanks ever so much for the blog links.
Great reading as well as brought the area's size into prospective for me.
We had no idea if the amt of time budgeted for this RT was enough and it seems it is.
For the first time anyway.
Have been watching y'all's weather and starting to get the impression that most of the color will be over tho.
The last week of October will be too late do you think?

Not sure what to tell you about fall colours. I live in Ontario so I can't really say what turns colour when other than here. Which is now. Not sure how other areas are doing but it would seem that storm damage from last winter coupled with a crappy summer weather wise has trees that dropped their leaves by the end of August yet others are just starting to turn now. Even in the same species.

Enjoy your trip.

DT
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5