Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
2004/11/06 17:54:23 (permalink)

Pepper Pot Soup.

Dearfolk,
Last night, to assuage my curiosity and my hunger all at once, I motored over to our new, immense 24-hour Kroger store. Almost everything I imagined was there (except livermush, but I wasn't expecting that!). I managed to find quite a few on-sale items and stock up on what little food I keep at home.
Upon scouring the soup selection, though, I noticed one absence: Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup. My late Father loved the stuff, and I can't recall that I've seen it in the house since right before he died: he had just eaten the last can on hand (that wasn't what caused his death, mind you!).
I'd never thought to look for it until recently, when I came across a reference to it somewhere online (not here, I don't think) as a "beloved-of-Philadelphians" item. Now I've managed to come up with a hankering for it, and it isn't in evidence.
I haven't checked all the other large food stores here for it, but I just thought I'd throw this out. After all, this may well be my first "coined" topic, and I wanted it to be a decent one. Has anyone seen it lately in your whereabouts?
My old friend Steve was shopping synchronous to my visit. I mentioned it to him, and he thought a nonce and replied "I love the stuff, too... and I haven't seen it here lately. Maybe they quit making it."
"That's probably not so," I replied. "After all, Campbell's Soup's main plant is right across the river from Fluffia in lovely downtown Camden, New Jersey."
He nodded in earnest, then said "Well, if you find some, let me know where it is. I'm in the phone book."
Clues, anyone? Can any of you Mamas in the alley assist (I HAD to make an obscure musical reference!)?
Souplessly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, which is not a Livermush-Free Zone.

58 Replies Related Threads

GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/06 18:18:47 (permalink)
    When I was young (i.e., too young to know what tripe is) I loved Campbell's pepperpot soup. Alas, a quick spin on the Campbell's web site showed no mention of pepperpot. Lot's of recipes, but no Campbell's.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5898
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/06 18:22:23 (permalink)
    Ort.,....How long is a nonce? I'm not sure Campbell's Pepperpot has ever existed west of the rockies. I'm intrigued. Bean with Bacon might be on the same shelf with the Pepperpot. I'll have to cruise the soup isle in Southern Oregon! hmmmm.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/06 18:34:56 (permalink)
    Given all the new brands that the Campbell's web site shows (as do the supermarkets), I'm guessing that Campbell no longer makes pepperpot. In my younger days, taking the bus across the Ben Franklin bridge from Philly to NJ, it always was cool to see the lines of tomato (tomatoe, whatever) trucks in the Campbell's plant.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/06 19:35:23 (permalink)
    THANK YOU>. there is a local 'eatin place' near here that serves pepper pot soup and it's the BEST soup i've ever had..... someone on here ( sorry i don't remember who they were) gave me a recipe for it .. it is awesome soup and reminded me of stuffed pepper soup... very good.. and i'd love to have some different recipes too.. thanks in advance.. and nice to know others like that kind too..
    jersey :)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/06 21:07:27 (permalink)
    We got some Pepper Pot at our Krogers today. Perhaps your's was just out of stock. Pepper pot and Scotch Broth are two of my favorites.
    Bill Voss
    Pepper pot was on my list frequently in SoCal. it has been around since i was old enough to notice.
    eelranch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/07 19:28:18 (permalink)
    The last time I looked, Pepper Pot was still on the shelves, but I had been having a terrible time finding Creamy Onion. Campbell's claimed that they still made it, but the date code on the last four cans I located indicated that the cans had been filled five years previously. The taste bore this out.

If memory serves, the Campbell's plant in Camden was imploded a few years back. Headquarters is still in Camden, but I don't know if they have a plant there any longer.

Best,

D. J. Hack in gently raining Osasco, Brasil where we do get Campbell's soups, believe it or not (no Pepper Pot, Scotch Broth or even Oyster Stew alas). Since it is imported it costs a minor fortune. Canned and prepared foods have yet to catch on down here yet.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/07 20:12:43 (permalink)
    I just sent the following to Campbell's. I'll post any reply I get.

Personally, the last several times I've bought it, it has tasted less spicy than in the past.

Please let me know what's going on so I can share it with the group!

Ort., thanks for bringing this up! I love the stuff--eat it cold, straight out of the can for full impact!
    The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/08 10:52:58 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Upon scouring the soup selection, though, I noticed one absence: Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup. My late Father loved the stuff, and I can't recall that I've seen it in the house since right before he died: he had just eaten the last can on hand (that wasn't what caused his death, mind you!).
    I'd never thought to look for it until recently, when I came across a reference to it somewhere online (not here, I don't think) as a "beloved-of-Philadelphians" item. Now I've managed to come up with a hankering for it, and it isn't in evidence.
    I haven't checked all the other large food stores here for it, has anyone seen it lately in your whereabouts?

If you don't mind buying it by the case, Food Service Direct carries Bookbinder's Pepper Pot Soup. I can't vouch for it myself, I've only had their Snapping Turtle Soup, and never ate at the restaurant. When I lived in Philadelphia, we always at at Fisher's. And I didn't think
    much of Campbell's Pepperpot Soup when they made it. Their Golden Corn Soup, on the other hand, was superb as a base for Chicken Tortilla Soup.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/409/N/83254/BOOKBINDERS_PEPPER_POT.htm

TSP
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/08 11:06:38 (permalink)
    Ort, check the following site:
    http://hometownfavorites.com

Just click on soup (aisle 8) and scroll down the page.

gottatravel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/09 16:59:03 (permalink)
    Pepper Pot soup from Campbell's seems to still be available in Lancaster County PA.
    Found it with no problem. Expire date of Sep 2006 so it seems to be recent manufacture.
    It was in a Campbell Soup Section called " Special Selections".
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 806
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/09 17:58:02 (permalink)
    Does Campbell's pepper pot soup have tripe in it?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23276
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/09 18:21:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Route 11

Does Campbell's pepper pot soup have tripe in it?

It always used to. I haven't had it in more than 30 years, though.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/09 18:52:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by greasewheel

Ort, check the following site:
    http://hometownfavorites.com
    Just click on soup (aisle 8) and scroll down the page.

greasewheel,
    Thank you a zillion times! I'd never heard of these folks!!
    Since my home of Athens, Georgia has eight different supermarket chains: Kroger, Winn/Dixie, Food Lion, Ingles, B-Lo, Publix, Wal-Mart, and the locally-owned Bell's, I can find all sorts of regional oddities here. Alas, Harris-Teeter withdrew from Georgia: our nearest store of theirs is in Shelby, North Carolina.
    The Atlanta area has some other stores that we don't, including a couple of I. G. A.'s that seem to delight in carrying what nobody else will. There are other independents around here that really have some obscure regional stuff... Gary's Food Town in Royston, Georgia comes immediately to mind.
    Needless to say, I'll pass this website's information along to others who will be just as thrilled as I am to have it. And I'll keep hunting and asking for Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup, knowing now that they still make it.
    Again, thanks a gazillion!!
    Unhungrily (But Getting Ideas!), Ort. Carlton in Gently Chilly Athens, Georgia.
    gottatravel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/09 19:31:34 (permalink)
    The first two ingredients on the label are beef tripe stock and cooked beef tripe.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/17 21:17:10 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I've been six places and still haven't found it. That leaves all four Bell's, both Wal-Marts, Food Lion, three Krogers, two Winn/Dixies, one Ingles, two Bi-Los, one Publix, and every independent store from here to Watkinsville and Danielsville.
    A lady told me that she swears she saw it at Quality Foods in Commerce, and they have a store in Winder as well, so I'll have to check there.
    A list of the stuff that I HAVE found would be quite long and only marginally interesting.
    This is getting to be fun, folks.
    Tripelessly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
    P. S. Athens may have become a livermush-free zone. The store that used to carry it quit handling it when their two North Carolina-native employees were transferred to another store. I'll keep looking, folks... I know it's available in Elberton and Hartwell.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/17 21:40:49 (permalink)
    If they still make it, why not ask the manager of one of your local grocery stores to order a case for you? I had to do that last year when Campbell's Golden Mushroom disappeared from the shelves in our area.
    Rick F.
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/19 17:35:43 (permalink)
    Update: No news is no news.
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/21 16:29:02 (permalink)
    I found no pepperpot soup, no cream of shrimp, no scotch broth, and no chicken vegetable last night at Kroger....did see a more expensive chunky variety of chicken veggie and some southwestern variety that i did not want.....no livermush, which i have never tried but might like...it is discussed in Jan Karon's cookbook about Mitford....
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5898
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/29 09:13:54 (permalink)
    In my grocery store travels here in Southern Oregon, I have found
    0 Pepperpot Soup displays, from the biggest store-Winco, to little neighborhood huts. Must be a distribution thing. Bean with Bacon was faithfully in residence.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/29 22:50:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Ort.,....How long is a nonce? I'm not sure Campbell's Pepperpot has ever existed west of the rockies. I'm intrigued. Bean with Bacon might be on the same shelf with the Pepperpot. I'll have to cruise the soup isle in Southern Oregon! hmmmm.

I can remember bugging my Mom to buy some for me at the Market Basket in San Clemente, CA in 1965. I managed 1 spoonful, and out it went. At the tender age of 10, I wasn't yet ready for the bite of tripe. I sho' am now. (Menudo)
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2004/11/30 01:17:28 (permalink)
    My mother used to eat Campbell's Pepper Pot soup all the time when I was young. She was really depressed when she could no longer find it in the stores. I might be remembering this wrong but she told me that she did a little research and on could find the soup in Canada now.

If anyone is interested in homemade pepper pot soup, there is a very old cookbook (probably out of print but my aunt has an old copy of it) called "The New York Times Soup & Bread Cookbook." Their recipe is very much like Campbell's pepper pot soup.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/12 23:29:32 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Still haven't turned it up.
    Atripically,Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    Rick F.
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/13 15:51:10 (permalink)
    Continuing luckless with Campbell's, I turned to Google ("campbell's pepper pot soup"). Here's one option:
    http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat.asp?c=38&p=1&id=827&newp=
    Rick F.
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/13 15:57:05 (permalink)
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/13 16:42:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

And if you want to spend a ton of money, http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=29070&itemType=PRODUCT&searchid=inceptor

HOLY MOLY! 5 bucks a can! Same with the Scotch Broth. I plan on asking my local Stater Bros manager if he can get the products. I'll post the info here if he can.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1208
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/15 17:08:18 (permalink)
    Say, Ort, if you're still looking for this soup, want me to check in one of our nearby markets? I'd be happy to ship you some. The post office is almost within walking distance. My dad used to order this soup at diners & restaurants and I never really paid attention.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/15 17:19:55 (permalink)
    When I was in Baltimore just before Xmas I went to the local Giant and they had Campbell's Pepper Pot soup.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/15 17:27:32 (permalink)
    I purchase Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup frequently at my local (small) supermarket. I really enjoy it - it's one of my favorites from Campbell's. Great on a cold winter's day (like today in CT).
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. 2005/01/15 19:28:21 (permalink)
    Phishmonger,
    I'm with you.... Pepper Pot and Scotch Broth are two of my favorite cold weather (canned) soups.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5