Helpful ReplyPie - Around the US and Beyond

Author
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5163
2018/10/02 08:22:37 (permalink)

Pie - Around the US and Beyond

I am always intrigued by a baker's ability to craft a new type of pie.  Not that I don't crave traditional or old world recipes either...I just love pie!  The more, the merrier!  

We are blessed in Chicago to have several wonderful pie shops.  Our World Famous Chicago Pie Triangle (#wfcpt) consisting of Hoosier Mama Pie Company, Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits and  Spinning J are all close together (a relative Chicago term) and worthy of repeated visits.  

I saw a new (to me) pie flavor posted today (yes, i check them every day) and thought I'd start a thread to see what's out there and to form a list for future travels.  Remember to list the name and city and if you have had the opportunity to sample it, let us know how it was!  And photos are are always encouraged!

Hoosier Mama Pie Company - Chicago (posted as a Thanksgiving pre-order) - I have not tried this pie...as of yet!  

CHICAGO SUNRISE - $28.00
Tart Grapefruit and Chicago's very own Malort are combined to make this one of a kind pie

What's out there Roadfooders?  
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5521
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/02 08:41:07 (permalink)
So you really want to do this?

Waiting for Wilma Pie - Pewaukee, WI.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/02 08:47:57 (permalink)
I figured Cliff and you would star prominently!  Give us the ingredients!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12333
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/02 12:31:31 (permalink)
Waiting for Wilma pie?  Sounds like Fred chopped up Dino.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5521
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/02 13:07:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/10/02 14:20:00
That would make it Mincemeat.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/02 18:43:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby buffetbuster 2018/10/03 12:34:59
Black Cherry Pink Peppercorn Chocolate Pie - Hoosier Mama Pie Company, Evanston -  A rich chocolate cookie crust, two distinct layers of chocolate (one dense and one light) sandwiching sour cherries.  Awesome!  

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/03 12:34:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/10/04 07:45:43
The most unusual pie flavor we have tried recently was the strawberry basil

at Austin's Tiny Pies.  An interesting unique flavor, perfect for this small size, but not so sure I would want to eat much more of it.  Their peach crumble was sensational, though.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9637
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/03 12:38:54 (permalink)
buffetbuster
The most unusual pie flavor we have tried recently was the strawberry basil

at Austin's Tiny Pies.  An interesting unique flavor, perfect for this small size, but not so sure I would want to eat much more of it.  Their peach crumble was sensational, though.

Don't think so either!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3600
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/03 12:54:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/10/04 07:45:52
I can't imagine any pie in the entire world beating out a pie made with Jepson's Malort.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/04 07:49:50 (permalink)
At the soon to be Roadfood reviewed Baker Miller in Chicago, the Honey Pie was sensational.  Not only a graham cracker crust, but with home made graham crackers.  Milled in house, just the right amount of vanilla, perfectly baked...perfection.  Filled with a light custardy filling and topped by a generous portion of honey.  

Our couple was recently trained and certified in the art of honey and this particular honey was harvested from hives near blueberry patches providing a slight blueberry flavor to the honey.  A great piece of pie AND a work of art AND a labor of love!  

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/04 07:56:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/10/04 08:01:45
ChiTownDiner 

Our couple was recently trained and certified in the art of honey 

WJ and Sandra sure have been busy...

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/04 08:02:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/10/08 09:41:52
buffetbuster
ChiTownDiner 

All due to the fine work behind the scenes of one Joe Rogo!  
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/07 10:37:25 (permalink)
I am awed by just the first few posts.  And heartbroke that Hoosier Mama doesn't ship.  I wonder if I could interest them in a branch down here?

We have a couple of 'dedicated' pie shops here, House of Pies (several locations) and Flying Saucer Pie Company, which regularly get news media attention for the long lines around holiday time.  There are some others that don't get such attention but mostly pies seem to take a back seat to cakes.

Another highly acclaimed shop, My Dee Dee's Pie Shoppe, burned down in 2013 and still hasn't made it back, though still determined to.

Both House of Pies and Flying Saucer have been around since 1967 but I never heard of Flying Saucer until a few years ago.  I've been to House of Pies over the years; I can't handle a whole pie at home by myself and seldom order dessert when I eat out; mostly I pick up a pie to take to a pot luck at a neighborhood bar or to a get-together at someone's house.  There is an over-reliance on whipped cream for topping; I much prefer meringue pies.

The specialty of the house at HOP is called Bayou Goo Pie.  It's a 24 hr. diner in addition to being a pie shop so I'll head over there for lunch one of these days and have a CFS or something and a piece of Bayou Goo, maybe pick up another variety to bring home.

Looking around for more I found Pondicheri Bake Lab and Shop has Chai Pie, Chai Pumpkin Pie, Mango Pie, Mithai Pie and Avocado Key Lime Pie.  The latter results in an unappealing shade of green but I'm interested in the others.  Pondicheri is an upscale, chef-driven Indian cafe located on the edge of River Oaks, Houston's richest, old money neighborhood, not a part of town I hang out in very much.  But I'll hit them up to and report back. Indian (and Pakistani) food is my favorite ethic cuisine.

And I'll keep looking for more.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/10/07 10:39:13
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/08 08:12:15 (permalink)
BCN - Great suggestions...thanks for the ideas and the comments.  I am not a Houston visitor so it's good to have a few in the pocket should a visit arrive.  Keep it coming!
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5228
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/08 09:43:02 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
buffetbuster
ChiTownDiner 

All due to the fine work behind the scenes of one Joe Rogo!  

You know me, I do what I can.....
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/08 10:41:10 (permalink)
BayouCityNosh-
That's an outstanding post!  Thanks for all the great info.  I have been to House of Pies and Flying Saucer Pie Company and enjoyed them both.  You assessment of too much whipped cream is spot on.

If you do make it to Pondicheri Bake Lab, please report back your findings.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/08 10:56:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/10/08 11:02:24
From the great Emporium Pie Company in Dallas (actually we were in their McKinney branch), yesterday we tried The Nutty Honey. 

This is a peanut butter cream over crunchy bits of honey.  Delicious, although very sweet.  Apparently there is quite a buzz about honey pies lately. 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/08 11:03:06 (permalink)
The "Bees" best start increasing production to keep up with "buzz"!  
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/18 20:58:17 (permalink)
I checked out the Bayou Goo Pie at House of Pies today.  It's basically a 24 hour diner with an extra emphasis on the 'Pie Program,' as I guess they'd say these days.  I had a Deli Melt sandwich with cottage fries then found I wasn't as hungry as I thought and decided to take the piece of pie home.  It got scrunched up a little in the clamshell.

This is a thin pie crust with a layer of chopped pecans and 'sweet' cream cheese, topped with a filling of vanilla and chocolate (I got very little vanilla), then whipped cream, powdered sugar and chocolate shavings.  I was wary of it being too sweet and too ephemeral but was very pleasantly surprised.  The powdered sugar was undetectable by me; the layer of chopped nuts and cream cheese made it a more substantial pie than I expected and I almost finished the whole piece just after getting home.  I'd order it again, though I wouldn't want to eat it several times a week.

I also brought home a piece of Wild, Wild Blueberry.  It held up even worse in the clamshell, spreading out like a soup and breaking up the rather substantial crust on top up.  It was good, though, a slight favorite of mine over the Bayou Goo, though not by nearly as big a margin as I expected.  They must have to serve it in a bowl at the restaurant.

I'd recommend either.

post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/10/18 21:00:32
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/19 08:09:38 (permalink)
Love your description BCN.  Wonder if the Wild, Wild Blueberry was sliced to soon after removal from the oven?  That will often cause runny slices. Bayoo Goo looks like as winner!  Keep 'em coming!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8722
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/19 11:28:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Apparently there is quite a buzz about honey pies lately. 

Are the honey pies making you crazy?
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/19 17:44:24 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Love your description BCN.  Wonder if the Wild, Wild Blueberry was sliced to soon after removal from the oven?  That will often cause runny slices. Bayoo Goo looks like as winner!  Keep 'em coming!

Thanks.  By the time I got home and tasted it for the first time it was room temp.  I had looked through the gallery online before and noticed the runniness seems to be a problem with both the blueberry and cherry pie, but not all pics indicate that.  One poster with a pic not quite as bad as mine, eaten at the restaurant, complained it had been nuked.  Don't know why they would have nuked a pie before putting it in a clamshell, though.

BTW, none of the pics online show the cream cheese layer of the Bayou Goo well; it's about 1/4" thick I discovered as I made my way through the piece.

I hope to make it to Pondicheri next week, if not tomorrow.
lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/21 13:52:13 (permalink)
My favorite is Banana Cream at The Stockholm Pie Company  Your post reminded me of an essay I wrote back in 2010 as a fake news article before the reputation of fake news became suspect - my intent was to encourage my family to eat more pie, as sadly no one ever wants it when I'm asked to bring dessert to a get together.  It didn't work, but may make you smile.  Forgive me if it's inappropriate to post it here.  The Pie/Contentment Connection:    An exhaustive research study employing the most cutting-edge theories in nutrition, brain function and happiness has concluded that Americans don't eat enough pie.  Though there are several questions still unanswered about exactly how pie provides so many beneficial effects, the results make it very clear that people who get even just one pie a week are 46% more likely to say "Pretty damn good!" when asked how they are feeling than those who are pie-deficient.  Even better is the news that you don't have to eat your pie all at once.  People who ate pie for 10 minutes three times a week reported being just as happy as those who ate all their pie in one sitting.  Nutritionists and social scientists are now examining just how pie came to fall by the wayside in the American diet, and how to make it easier to incorporate into our busy lifestyles.  Most agreed that the $1 deep fried apple pie readily available was just not an acceptable substitute, but fortunately most Americans don't even think of that as actually being pie.  Perhaps the decline of roadside diners, neighborhood coffee shops and too many Grandmas with full-time jobs has just made pie too hard for many families.  This theory is supported by the surprising finding that truck drivers score slightly higher than other occupational groups when tested for general contentment--perhaps due to their increased proximity to pie at truck stops.  A future phase of the study may look at whether just seeing pie on a regular basis can lift our spirits.  One dissenting researcher warned that praising truckers for their pie consumption is just asking for trouble, due to the secondary side effect of eating pie, that of an increased propensity to nap.  "We can't have these guys out there scarfing all the apple, pecan and coconut cream they feel like, then snoozing down our highways!"  These comments, though dismissed as reactionary and not-very-scientific-sounding, led another study participant to wonder if it was actually the naps that was doing the trick.  More answers are expected in coming months, but in the meantime, the take-away is pretty clear:  eat your pie
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 605
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/21 15:52:52 (permalink)
" /> Good heavens, don't know WHY that didn't convince them, lazycook! Maybe you could write an abridged copy and give it to them before Thanksgiving or just bring one to the potluck anyway. Maybe they'll eat it. Personally I love pie but I'm single and I've always been under the impression that most pies don't freeze very well. If I try to eat it all I'll destroy my blood sugar.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/22 07:37:18 (permalink)
BCN - can't wait to see Pondicheri!

lazycook - loved your article and hope you'll grant permission to share!  This might explain the off the charts IQ of buffetbuster and the Cary Grant good looks!  
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2018/10/22 07:44:15
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Pie - Around the US and Beyond 2018/10/22 07:48:43 (permalink)
Apple Black Raspberry with a crumb top from Jennie Ray's in Rolling Prairie Indiana.  Jenny makes pies daily and all her own preserves and jellies.  The list is endless!  Here, 2 seasonal fruits combine well and as always, her crumb top does not disappoint!  Flakey crust, fresh fruit, great topping = wonderful slice of pie!  

Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5