Pie Bar in Florence, MA

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2577
2017/06/24 14:50:05 (permalink)

Pie Bar in Florence, MA

There is a lot of great road food  in western Mass. Today I happened to be on Rt 9, west of Northampton on my way to a wool pool. When I passed the Pie Bar on the way out, before 7AM, they were not open yet, but I saved my limited calorie budget for the return trip. www.florencepiebar.com is a very small, stand alone building, with limited parking. They even have a little sign that asks customers not to use the parking lot next door. (You know that you are out in the Northampton area when consideration like this is actually the norm) I parked on a side street and walked a couple of hundred feet, figuring that it burned at least 500 calories. Pie Bar is mostly a by the slice place, but whole pies can be ordered.

I bought a folded over "hand pie" (turnover), made with nice blue berries baked into a very nice pie crust, for $5, and ate it in my truck, as the few small tables were full. I would class my snack as "excellent", but not "best ever". Maybe it is because I prefer a sweeter filling, and while I like spice in an apple pie, I prefer less in a blueberry pie. In any case, I'd stop again. 

IMO, you know that you are in a real, scratch bakery, when they offer day old stuff at a reduced price. Most places, now a days, just fob off the day old stuff as fresh. My snack was just baked, and was still slightly warm.  The bakery also uses fresh/local ingredients, whenever possible. I didn't stop at www.breadeuphoria.com , another scratch bakery, a few miles west, in Haydenville, because I have been there before, and was limiting myself to one stop. It was hard to pass by.

It has been some time since I've felt healthy enough enough to travel very far, and it was nice to get back out to western Mass, and run into old sheep people friends at the wool pool, which runs one day a year at the Cummington Fairgrounds. www.midstateswoolgrowers.com is a co-op that I have belonged to for at least 10 years, and they send a truck that we share with the Vermont wool growers. Prices are low this year, due to lower demand from China. More people are switching to "hair sheep" breeds that don't need to be sheared, because they don't grow wool, and shed like a cat or dog.

People disagree, in a friendly way, about the taste of hair sheep meat. IMO, it is like supporting the local team. If you grow hair sheep, you think that the meat is just as good. If you grow wool sheep, you look down your nose at the hair sheep people. IMO, in a blind test of a bite from a hundred lamb chops, even a pro would have a difficult time knowing what came from what.

www.cummingtonfair.com 

post edited by tmiles - 2017/06/26 10:32:58

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5