Helpful ReplyPittsburgh Crawl APRIL 28 - MAY 1

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 34
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11913
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 09:56:32 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
You have to cross the Monongahela to get there. No one crosses the Monongahela and lives.

Me and my cousins used to swim in the Mon!
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 10:17:41 (permalink)
I lived walking distance (about 2 miles) from Beto's. It's different but no big whoop.
My favorite pizza joints in Pittsburgh were Mineo's and Fiori's.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/05/14 10:20:00
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 11:26:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I lived walking distance (about 2 miles) from Beto's. It's different but no big whoop.

WJ, are you saying, it's better than you expected because it such a different method of eating pizza. You think There are better choices for good quality traditional style pizza? I would think this may be a place to try a slice. Then go back if you think it's the best thing since sliced bread........
Lurker
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 11:56:54 (permalink)
pnwchef
wanderingjew

WJ, are you saying, it's better than you expected because it such a different method of eating pizza. You think There are better choices for good quality traditional style pizza? I would think this may be a place to try a slice. Then go back if you think it's the best thing since sliced bread........

No, I said it was "no big whoop" aka "no big deal" It's interesting that it's a denser square pizza served with shredded cheese that hadn't melted yet. But you are correct, I would not go out of my way to try it. So many better selections in Pittsburgh hence my suggestions of Mineo's or Fiori's
kozel
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 13:03:34 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I lived walking distance (about 2 miles) from Beto's.

Dale, did you live in Mt Lebo?
eruby
  • Total Posts : 1061
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 14:24:09 (permalink)
Never been to any of these events and not sure what places qualify, but I will suggest the Triangle Bar for consideration.  Not super far from The Waterfront and Kennywood.

Excellent hoagies IMO and a colorful place to boot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Triangle-Bar-and-Grill/120225601327829
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 14:47:30 (permalink)
eruby,
You must join us!  And the Triangle Bar looks like a great place!!  Thanks!
Lurker
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 15:37:33 (permalink)
kozel
wanderingjew
I lived walking distance (about 2 miles) from Beto's.

Dale, did you live in Mt Lebo?

Yes I did- in the old "Embassy Apartments" on Beverly Road.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12604
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 15:49:49 (permalink)
Ketteract
One Pittsburgh place I've been fascinated with ever since running across it on Roadfood is Beto's.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/7835/betos

Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but it seems like something you have to at least try once.

Thanks for bringing up Beto's.  I am a fan.  While it certainly is not the best pizza in Pittsburgh, it does present a good representation of a style that is unique to the Ohio Valley.  Surely out-of-towners especially will be interested in sampling it. 

There are two other places in Beaver County, Pizza House (a.k.a. Police Station Pizza) and D & G Pizza in Beaver Falls making similar styles, that I think is superior.  Because they have limited hours and are good 45 minutes from the city, they might not be good choices for a tour.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 15:54:05 (permalink)
eruby
Never been to any of these events and not sure what places qualify, but I will suggest the Triangle Bar for consideration.  Not super far from The Waterfront and Kennywood.

Excellent hoagies IMO and a colorful place to boot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Triangle-Bar-and-Grill/120225601327829

I had a buddy from college who was from Swissvale and he took me to Triangle Bar for the first time in the early 80s.  I have been a fan every since.  Truthfully, their cold hoagies are far superior to their hot hoagies.  Unfortunately, they really cleaned up the place a few years back, brought in new furniture, added a tv in the little dining area and it just hasn't been the same for me.  I much preferred it when it was a dingy dive. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 17:06:57 (permalink)
lleechef
Michael Hoffman
You have to cross the Monongahela to get there. No one crosses the Monongahela and lives.

Monongahela??  Sounds serious, is there a vaccine for it?
(If so I probably just got it after starting my treatments)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23272
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 17:48:17 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Ketteract
One Pittsburgh place I've been fascinated with ever since running across it on Roadfood is Beto's.

Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but it seems like something you have to at least try once.

Thanks for bringing up Beto's.  I am a fan.  While it certainly is not the best pizza in Pittsburgh, it does present a good representation of a style that is unique to the Ohio Valley.  Surely out-of-towners especially will be interested in sampling it. 

There are two other places in Beaver County, Pizza House (a.k.a. Police Station Pizza) and D & G Pizza in Beaver Falls making similar styles, that I think is superior.  Because they have limited hours and are good 45 minutes from the city, they might not be good choices for a tour.

lleechef and I never did get to Police Station Pizza. Darn.
 But the video from Triangle Bar makes my mouth water.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 19:21:53 (permalink)
CajunKing
Hey BB, RM, ICC & LL

On the back end of the Chicago Crawl thread jonB mentioned he was on a cruise.....

What about a dinner or brunch cruise of the 3 rivers area for thursday eve or sunday??

I have to strongly disagree with this suggestion. A sightseeing cruise would be fine, but my experience is that dinner or brunch cruises offer totally crap food and incredibly high prices. The exclusivity of the venue gives them little reason to provide exceptional food, and because the water craft will generally not have a full service kitchen, you are stuck eating a warmed & held food-service meal with limited menu options.

Pie Diva and I vowed to never again take a dinner cruise after a miserable night trapped on a boat two decades ago.

Now if we can convince Cliff to take out on the Stutz International Industries yacht, it will be a different story.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23272
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/14 19:32:05 (permalink)
Oh, they downsized?
ThanksfortheCrepes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 04:49:28 (permalink)
Thank you so much, MetroplexJim,

for your link from 3 days ago to the YouTube video of the "Undercover Boss" episode covering the mayor of Pittsburgh's efforts to get in the trenches with his employees.

I watched the whole thing, and because I had seen a few episodes before, I already knew to bring my crying towel, but this one was particularly moving. It's so refreshing to see a politician who really is in it for his constituency.

I won't be joining in the Pittsburgh Crawl, but y'all have fun, and I'll be eagerly awaiting reports to experience it vicariously!

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 1084
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 09:10:08 (permalink)
mayor al
Yesterday the Food Channel did a re-run of their 'Great American Steakhouses' program. One of the places included in their 'Top 10' was Pittsburg's Meat and Potatoes. The review was very positive and appealing. Will any of you locals care to either support or refute their description. How would it fit into a multi-stop agenda? Would it make a Keynote dinner stop location?  This is merely a suggestion based on the observation of the program. I have not been to the place before.

It is a nice place downtown; we've had some good meals there before going to the theater. I probably wouldn't schedule it on a tour, because it's much more expensive than most Roadfood places and it's not wonderfully Pittsburgh-esque. But we'd endorse it as a side trip. 
Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 1084
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 09:15:37 (permalink)
joerogo

Maybe the welcome dinner should be at Casa d' Ice 

I know you're joking, but the suggestion of Casa d'Ice gives me a visceral antipathy. We ate there once and it was simply dreadful - I think it might be the second worst restaurant meal I can remember.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3050
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 11:15:57 (permalink)
Ketteract

Beto's and Danny's were right next to each other when I was growing up, I don't know if they still are. Danny's are still the best hoagies I've ever eaten, and I've had one within the past year when my sister visited and brought a bunch with her. Betos was an odd but good Sicilian style pizza that I remember as being a lot like Old Forge pizza: simple, but irresistible.

In high school we would go to the football game Friday night, then go to either Danny's for a hoagie, Beto's for the pizza, or both. South Park Drive-In's theater screen was visible from the parking lot, so when it was warm, or during the summer, we'd eat outside sitting on the hood or trunk of our cars (or parents' cars). Those were good times.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3050
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 11:25:01 (permalink)
lleechef
Michael Hoffman

We used to fish inthe Mon, down below the Clairton Works. Big, ugly, cancerous orange carp. They fought like hell.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 11:55:58 (permalink)
Mosca
lleechef
Michael Hoffman

We used to fish inthe Mon, down below the Clairton Works. Big, ugly, cancerous orange carp. They fought like hell.

Yuck!  We swam in there because it was so darned hot and humid in California, PA......where my grandparents lived.  Besides the fact that it was filthy, you had to watch out for barges.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5330
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 13:34:22 (permalink)
Ralph Melton
joerogo

Maybe the welcome dinner should be at Casa d' Ice 

I know you're joking, but the suggestion of Casa d'Ice gives me a visceral antipathy. We ate there once and it was simply dreadful - I think it might be the second worst restaurant meal I can remember.

How about a website that doesn't even have a menu and barely mentions food at all!?!?  Wonder why?  
eruby
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 15:12:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster
I had a buddy from college who was from Swissvale and he took me to Triangle Bar for the first time in the early 80s.  I have been a fan every since.  Truthfully, their cold hoagies are far superior to their hot hoagies.  Unfortunately, they really cleaned up the place a few years back, brought in new furniture, added a tv in the little dining area and it just hasn't been the same for me.  I much preferred it when it was a dingy dive. 

Very disappointing to read this.   It's been quite a while since I've been over the Rankin Bridge.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 17:19:54 (permalink)
eruby-
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Don't you hate it when a place goes and makes itself pretty?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/15 18:11:51 (permalink)
bb - I think our group can do something to change that.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/16 05:36:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I was first under the impression  that Kansas City was the considered spot for next year, although I'll take Pittsburgh too  I'm hoping like Chicago, this will be a May event. I really hope to attend although it will most likely be without Sandra unless her employer will magically grant her additional vacation time. The Pittsburgh spring event does not exclude that we will be doing an  early March event in St Augustine/Jacksonville. That will be going forward regardless. We already have several forum members who have expressed interest including ChiBears15Mike S and Karilyn, and I know Sandra will want to attend and we will likely be visiting Charleston and Savannah too. I'll probably start a thread on this just to get it going. 

Yep I'm in for the Jacksonville ect. late February early March trip.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/16 05:47:38 (permalink)
nagle
MetroplexJim
abe_froeman

I'd like to try Conflict Kitchen while I'm there.  Who knows what the country will be by the time of the trip!

I sure hope it's not North Korea! 
(Unless, of course, we would get to eat what Kim Jong Un does!).

Really hoping it's not Canada. Would make a visit from Mike and the Canadians a trifle uncomfortable

"Mike and the Canadians" is that now our group name? If so, I like it.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/16 05:56:41 (permalink)
lleechef
Mike S and I may have to go down Rt. 51 to Wintzell's for oysters!

Absolutely!
eruby
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/16 20:36:40 (permalink)
buffetbuster
eruby-
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Don't you hate it when a place goes and makes itself pretty?

Next you're going to tell me Jim's Hot Dogs has table service with tuxedo wearing waiters. 

pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/19 07:53:14 (permalink)
Lisa, I'm ready! Haluski and Homemade German sausage...........

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/19 11:25:06 (permalink)
Bill,
Maybe we should skip the 'Burgh and all just go to your house. 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 34
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5