Helpful ReplyPittsburgh Crawl APRIL 28 - MAY 1

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 34
Author
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/19 20:34:21 (permalink)
lleechef
Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic replies about Pittsburgh.  It truly is a great city.  The theme should be "Everything Pittsburgh".  From a fish fry to sandwiches with French fries, pierogies, Eastern European food, Italian food and of course the great burgers at Tessoro's! A trip up to Mt. Washington via the incline is a MUST.......beautiful view of the Three Rivers and the City.  I also think taking in a ball game at PNC Park would be pretty cool. 

Ya know........with the Burgh being so nearby, and I got another virtual friend there I've never met in face, this illustrious crowd of the heavy hitters and a town I have only been in once for any period of time, but enjoyed, might just get me off my kiesta for a bit of a crawl.....current health permitting.

When you get closer to the timing, I'll see
icecreamchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/19 20:38:48 (permalink)
I'd be thrilled to see a group of yinz (that's Pittsburghese for y'all) come to our fair city. There's plenty of great food, and there's a lot to see! A trip up the incline is a must, particularly at sunset. Pittsburgh also has many different ethnic groups who've made their home here, and there's no better place to discover this than the University of Pittsburgh's Nationality Rooms. I was a tour guide there when I went to Pitt, so if there's interest, I'll arrange to get a set of keys and give you all a tour of these beautiful works of art. I am a lifelong Pittsburgher, so I'd be happy to help show everyone some of our local treasures, both food and non-food.  

Someone worried that Jim's Hot Dogs has become a finer establishment. ;-)  Umm, don't worry. That place hasn't changed since I was a little girl and my dad would take us there for a treat. He grew up in Whittaker, not at all far from Jim's. Also close to Jim's (relatively) is Kennywood Park, home of amazing roller coasters and killer fries. Kennywood is a "one price" affair these days, so it would probably have to be a bonus day rather than a side trip. 

Several good pizza places have been mentioned. For me, the ultimate treat is a Vinnie Pie from Vincent's Pizza. I can remember that place before they cleaned it up...I preferred the cheesy faux grapevines and grape lights covering the ceiling. But, that's how it looked when I was a kid and my family would go there for a greasy treat. 

I'll happily help research fish fry opportunities, but I don't think we'll find one in May, with Lent long over. A great fish sandwich can be found at Emil's, however, and lots of other great food too. That's a place to consider.

We'd definitely want you all to experience Jozsa Corner, which Buffetbuster has already described very well. I'll just add that Alex, the proprietor and chef is also a local treasure! He is incredibly kind and has fascinating stories to tell.

Finally, a must-do will be a trip to the Strip District. I will be happy to introduce anyone who wants to go to Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor, which boasts a real, old-fashioned soda fountain. They now serve ice cream from Penn State's Creamery, so finally the ice cream is as good as the atmosphere! 
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 993
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/19 23:19:34 (permalink)
The mention of Penn State's Creamery reminded me of the Rick Sebak ice cream documentary...any locals know him? Maybe he'd join us for the weekend. 
eruby
  • Total Posts : 1061
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 06:40:50 (permalink)
icecreamchick.... Someone worried that Jim's Hot Dogs has become a finer establishment. ;-)  Umm, don't worry. That place hasn't changed since I was a little girl .... I will be happy to introduce anyone who wants to go to Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor....

I had made a tongue-in-cheek comment about Jim's after reading of the 'gentrification' of the Triangle Bar.

I thought I read Klavon's closed a couple years ago, glad to see it is still open.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12604
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 11:29:49 (permalink)
ice cream chick-
The idea of you leading us on a tour of the Nationality Room is a great one.  We should follow it up with a stop at Dave & Andy's for ice cream!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11916
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 11:35:24 (permalink)
I'm following Ralph & Lori around!  They're true Yinzers and will show us Pittsburgh's best!! 
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5330
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 11:56:13 (permalink)
buffetbuster
ice cream chick-
The idea of you leading us on a tour of the Nationality Room is a great one.  We should follow it up with a stop at Dave & Andy's for ice cream!

Maybe spend a day in Oakland?  Union Grill, Dirty O, Primanti's, Pamela's, Fuel & Fuddle. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23274
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 12:36:56 (permalink)
joerogo
buffetbuster
ice cream chick-

Maybe spend a day in Oakland?  Union Grill, Dirty O, Primanti's, Pamela's, Fuel & Fuddle. 

I've been to the Primanti's in Oakland. I'd rather stick with the original. Even the parking is better.
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 14:42:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2015/05/20 19:59:07
Michael Hoffman
I've been to the Primanti's in Oakland. I'd rather stick with the original. Even the parking is better.

Rumor is that Michael has a 'thing' for Toni Haggerty.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 15:39:54 (permalink)
How DID you know?
blue heaven
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 551
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 16:21:07 (permalink)
As I always say Pittsburgh people are some of the best people anywhere! I am with you Lisa.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/20 17:39:52 (permalink)
MH has had a thing for Toni since his first pastrami with egg sandwich!  And I'm not one bit jealous!!!

blue heaven
I'm glad you feel that way.  I have always thought that Yinzers and just Western Pennsylvanians in general are some of the friendliest folks around!
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/21 08:38:55 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
How DID you know?

How can you not?  When the Post Gazette describes her as...

With spiky blond hair and a "Primanti's University" T-shirt under an apron, Ms. Haggerty is the spitfire behind the counter during the day.

And she's been there since 1974! I too have been served by Toni a few times.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12604
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/21 10:26:51 (permalink)
I haven't been in Primanti's for years when she has been working.  Almost all of my visits are either late at night or early in the morning.  But, what a character she is.  If you are a guy, there is no guarantee that your sandwich will be cut in half.  Depends on what kind of mood she is in.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/21 11:01:48 (permalink)
When MH and I go to Primanti's we are usually meeting his grandson so we opt for a table.  But I have sat at the bar and been served by Toni.......she's a hoot!!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/21 13:47:05 (permalink)
You mean I have to wait a year for this tour? Oh the Horror!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 05:13:32 (permalink)
While watching the Travel Channel, MEAT & POTATOES came up as one of the Top 12 Steakhouses in the country!
Was included with Cattleman's OKC, Durgan Park, Bern's, St Elmo's and others. 
Only been open 4-5 years and to get that notoriety , the place must be pretty good.
Is it "Crawl" material? 
http://meatandpotatoespgh.com/index.html
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 08:36:58 (permalink)
kozel
Michael Hoffman

Rumor is that Michael has a 'thing' for Toni Haggerty.

This lady s/b Mayor of Pittsburgh. The way they make the sandwich, is the way they have made it for years. I would be one to ask for fries and slaw on the side. In this place I would go with the flow and eat it the way it has been made for years. Who the hell am I to break tradition!  That would be like me telling Joe Rogo how to make Lasagna. 
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5825
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 09:14:53 (permalink)
Foodbme
While watching the Travel Channel, MEAT & POTATOES came up as one of the Top 12 Steakhouses in the country!
Only been open 4-5 years and to get that notoriety , the place must be pretty good.
Is it "Crawl" material? 

Very odd. This not a steakhouse and does not claim to be a steakhouse. A flatiron and a hanger are only steaks in the menu.

Food looks good, but too pricy for a Roadfood crawl.
karilyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 10:04:09 (permalink)
I'm grinning just thinking about it! This sounds fabulous!!! My fingers are crossed that my calendar allows me to attend this. Sounds like a great roadtrip for Beth and I!!

Regarding Jacksonville . . . The only thing that would prevent me from going is bad timing. I have Parent conferences March 15th and 16th. I will be buried in observations and paperwork for the two weeks prior to the 16th.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2927
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 11:06:41 (permalink)
Karilyn, hope I can make it too!  Haven't seen you and Beth in a while.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 16:28:16 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Foodbme
Is it "Crawl" material? 

Very odd. This not a steakhouse and does not claim to be a steakhouse. A flatiron and a hanger are only steaks in the menu.

They also have a "34oz Ribeye for 2"..........I agree, it's a meat and potato house......I bet they do it well!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5825
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 16:37:49 (permalink)
Gastropub, per the website.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 17:26:57 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Gastropub, per the website.

pnwchef
JRPfeff
Foodbme
Is it "Crawl" material? 

They also have a "34oz Ribeye for 2"..........I agree, it's a meat and potato house......I bet they do it well!

It WAS the $59.00 - 34 oz. Ribeye that was featured on the Travel Channel.
However I'd be in for the :
Pub
Pork belly pastrami / horseradish cheddar / fried egg / special sauce - $14.00
OR the:
Grilled Cheese & Soup
Pimento / chicken skin cracklin / arugula / truffle / celery root bisque / celery slaw - $14.00
OR for Brunch:
Short Rib Hash
Poached egg / horseradish hollandaise - $14.00
OR Perhaps:
Eggs in Purgatory
Ragu / pork shoulder / pancetta / parmesan / grilled bread - $12.00

post edited by Foodbme - 2015/05/25 17:36:42
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/25 20:52:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2015/05/25 20:57:37
It is indeed a steak gastropub and I don't think would be included in a Pittsburgh Crawl.  I think we're going to be doing a crawl of "all things Pittsburgh".  The 'Burgh is not a steak city.  It's a Steel City.  The folks that originally worked in the mills were from all over, but especially Eastern Europe.  So we love pierogies, kielbasa, sauerkraut, etc.  Also a large Italian influence brings us pizza, pasta and our beloved Pennsylvania Macaroni Company.  Where the gigantic fabulous fish sandwiches came from is still a mystery to me since we are land-locked........we have three rivers, but the fish sandwiches are cod and they sure as he** do not come from the Ohio or the Mon or the Allegheny!!  But they are the best fish sandwiches I've ever had.  Anywhere.  Period.  So the Crawl will explore a lot of these Pittsburgh icons!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/26 02:22:09 (permalink)
lleechef
It is indeed a steak gastropub and I don't think would be included in a Pittsburgh Crawl.  I think we're going to be doing a crawl of "all things Pittsburgh".  The 'Burgh is not a steak city.  It's a Steel City.  The folks that originally worked in the mills were from all over, but especially Eastern Europe.  So we love pierogies, kielbasa, sauerkraut, etc.  Also a large Italian influence brings us pizza, pasta and our beloved Pennsylvania Macaroni Company.  Where the gigantic fabulous fish sandwiches came from is still a mystery to me since we are land-locked........we have three rivers, but the fish sandwiches are cod and they sure as he** do not come from the Ohio or the Mon or the Allegheny!!  But they are the best fish sandwiches I've ever had.  Anywhere.  Period.  So the Crawl will explore a lot of these Pittsburgh icons!!!

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Fish Sandwich thang started with fish out of Lake Erie, before the lake became polluted.
Another theory attributes it to the high percentage of  Catholics living in Western PA and the Friday Meatless tradition. 
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/26 04:10:30 (permalink)
Foodbme is partially right. According to an article I read, because of the high population of Catholics way back when, and the rivers were cleaner, people caught their own fish for meatless Fridays.
eruby
  • Total Posts : 1061
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/26 08:04:34 (permalink)
Foodbme
Is it "Crawl" material? 

I've seen Meat and Potatoes on several shows.  My only interest in ever going there is for the bone marrow appetizer.  If I want meat and potatoes I'll go to Jim's Hot Dogs and Kennywood's Potato Patch. 

APPETIZERS
Bone Marrow
grilled bread / gremolata / onion relish / sea salt $18
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/26 11:15:49 (permalink)
Foodbme
lleechef

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Fish Sandwich thang started with fish out of Lake Erie, before the lake became polluted.

You do know that Lake Erie is the Walleye (fishing) Capital of the World, that the smallmouth bass fishing in the lake's Western basin has no peer, and that salmon and steelhead fishing in Lake Erie is extraordinary.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Pittsburgh Crawl 2015/05/26 11:30:08 (permalink)
I am aware of the meatless Catholic Fridays.  But the fish sandwiches in W.PA are out-of-control huge.  We go to Lake Erie to get walleye and perch sandwiches and they're nothing like the ones in Pittsburgh.  Some examples:

This is a small fish sandwich, sans bun, from Back Door Tavern.  The large sandwich is two of those on a bun!!!

And this is walleye (l) and perch (r) at Jolly Roger on Lake Erie, Port Clinton, OH

See the difference?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 34
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5