Pizza west of the Hudson River

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
2003/06/30 16:34:13 (permalink)

Pizza west of the Hudson River

New Jersey and places west have a lot of good things to eat. Your cheesesteaks are superior to New York.

But pizza? I have always thought that once across the Hudson (except if still in NY State), pizza is only about 60% as good as it is in the city. Once you cross the Delaware River, pizza is the same as everywhere else, not special.

I have had great pizza in place such as Plattsburg, NY (near Canada), New Haven, CT and Boston.

Why is it that accross the Hudson, pizza loses so much? There are exceptions, but usually when you go into the independent neighborhood pizzeria, in a location west of the Hudson, it is nothing like NYC.

7 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5773
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2003/06/30 16:54:54 (permalink)
    Topics like this should be on the as yet unlaunched regional area board, where we could discuss cuisine as it releates to say new england ,the southern plains or the pacific coast. In looking at the fodor's guides, I think they have the cultural attitudes and ethnic makeup of the USA just about right. That's why Texas should be grouped with kansas, for example, and not Arizona, as I sometimes see it. I think the Hudson is a cultural delineator in how people eat, cook, work, and play. So's the mississippi and the sierras/cascades. This pizza post is in search of a forum. Do you all think it would work? Look at the response to LA freeway food thread and I think you'd agree, it would.
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2003/06/30 17:01:05 (permalink)
    To an extent, I agree with you. I'm biased, of course, being from the NE area, but partly I think this depends on what style of pizza you're talking about. Some of the best pizza I've ever had has been in Chicago, but this is a different style than NY/NE thin crust. Deep dish, thick crust and double crust are more the Chicago style, and this style is done better in Chicago than anywhere (always open to suggestions, though!).
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2003/06/30 17:10:57 (permalink)
    I am a fan of real NY pizza. It is all in the taste. I have tried Chicago style pizza, and it is too much bread.

Re: Texas. The Kansas=Texas analogy would apply strongly to Texas until you get past Waco. From South of Waco to just north of San Antonio is a gradual change to a Mexican influence. It is prevalent in San Antonio and pronounced in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

There is nothing in common between Brownsville/Laredo and Kansas.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5773
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2003/06/30 17:29:38 (permalink)
    It's imperfect, I know, but that was just 1 example. The idea for the forum has been brought up several times, though. Where Do I eat? should be more about road trips, while we lack a place to discuss cuisine by region. You wanted to discuss pizza of a certain area so that's where my plea came from. I'm from Kansas and my relatives were from Texas and Missouri, so I relate all this to the food of my youth. Now that I live in Oregon, part of the quest for good roadfood seems to revolve around finding food of my youth and finding great native dishes where I am now. that's the cultural part. As far as Texas goes, I've seen it grouped with the south, the west and the southwest, but the Fodor's designation of south Central, including Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana seems most accurate. Thanks for listening
    Marsh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2003/09/11 09:52:00 (permalink)
    Eventhough, I live in Beaumont, the best pie in Texas is at Mario's in Galveston.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2003/09/11 10:46:35 (permalink)
    I have to disagree with Peppertree. although he did qualify his statement with the comment (still in NY State). The best pizza I ever had was at a small restaurant in Catskill, NY called Mike's. It was at the "point" a small peninsula of land that bordered the west shore of the Hudson River and was separated on the other side by Catskill Creek. Mike's served a very thin crust pizza, the thinnest I have ever had, and the sauce and cheese were just perfect. I still have fond memories of going there in my youth, and have only had pizza that reminded me of this once since leaving the area. I occasionally meet someone who also grew up in that area, and they always remember Mike's with the same affection I have.
    m2violin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Pizza west of the Hudson River 2004/12/17 17:59:36 (permalink)
    The best pizza anywhere is to be found in Chicago's. The original Pizzeria Uno on Ohio Street, and Gino's East near Water Tower Place.

I have friends who swear by Lou Malnatti's.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5