Author
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2744
2019/09/27 10:37:48 (permalink)
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/27 11:00:23 (permalink)
Burger King has the impossible burger on their menu. McDonalds is experimenting with Beyond Meat. I really don't think it's going to take much to come close to an alternative in this market. The burgers in both Fast food chains aren't anything to brag about now. The real test comes when you come up against a burger like you get at Peter Lugers. It would also be hard to replace my go-to-burger at my local fast-food burger joint. 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7348
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 09:33:22 (permalink)
Random thoughts:

• As I tried to fall asleep Thursday night, the Silence of the Grass kept me awake.  Somehow they knew the Diaz Brothers would be coming in the morning.

• Among our teeth, why did God give us canines?

• Growing up I thought that vegetarian beliefs were primarily religious (Adventists / J. H. Kellogg).  I would say that they still are.  And, my oh my, the antivivisectionists have made a comeback in different clothing.

• And then there's this.  How could that happen in the Land of Cue?
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 10:35:41 (permalink)
My daughter is a vegetarian...and it is NOT a religious thing. Actually most vegetarians I've met aren't vegetarians for any religious reasons.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9294
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 11:15:26 (permalink)
I consider vegetarians and people who eat the new meat alternatives to be as valuable as people who drive hybrid and electric cars:

More beef for me, more gas for me.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7348
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 11:56:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wintahaba 2019/09/28 14:13:29
leethebard
My daughter is a vegetarian...and it is NOT a religious thing. Actually most vegetarians I've met aren't vegetarians for any religious reasons.

My definition of religion includes those who "worship" Gaia and/or proselytize based on their own sense of moral superiority.  Please realize that I am saying this in a good-humored fashion about such individuals who, IMHO, lack humor.

Most vegetarians I have met have more than just a bit of 'moral superiority' concerning their sustenance choices.  Most all vegans I have met positively reek of moral superiority.

Further, I am amused by the idea of livestock flatulence (mentioned prominently in the article above) presenting such a peril for the "climate" that mankind humankind peoplekind must stop eating things with faces. 

Don't they know that anaerobic bacteria, insects, and even rice paddies are FAR greater sources on the 'offending' methane!?

But here is the good news:  the free market system will provide most anything for which there is demand, including such silliness as plant-based patties that simulate the taste and texture of hamburger. 

God Bless America! 
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 12:41:18 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
leethebard

My definition of religion includes those who "worship" Gaia and/or proselytize based on their own sense of moral superiority.  Please realize that I am saying this in a good-humored fashion about such individuals who, IMHO, lack humor.

Most vegetarians I have met have more than just a bit of 'moral superiority' concerning their sustenance choices.  Most all vegans I have met positively reek of moral superiority.

Further, I am amused by the idea of livestock flatulence (mentioned prominently in the article above) presenting such a peril for the "climate" that mankind humankind peoplekind must stop eating things with faces. 

Don't they know that anaerobic bacteria, insects, and even rice paddies are FAR greater sources on the 'offending' methane!?

But here is the good news:  the free market system will provide most anything for which there is demand, including such silliness as plant-based patties that simulate the taste and texture of hamburger. 

God Bless America! 
Let me respond in a good-natured fashion. I am a teacher and come across many students and younger teachers who are vegetarians.  Speaking for my daughter and many of them, it is far from "moral superiority. My daughter can't bring herself to eat animals. We have talked about this for years. I thought she'd outgrow it but she is 28 and still a veggie. It's a love of animals that keeps her going, not flatulence, etc. It's a matter of morals with her. She respects our right to a juicy hamburger but chooses not to partake. Vegetarians are over 20% of the population, and growing. Impossible burgers are growing..and business markets imply such companies are a great investment for the future, Hell, if and when prices come down, a veggy whopper would be a much healthier, once in a while option, for this diabetic!

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 13:46:30 (permalink)
Healthy option?
       Impossible/Reg
Calories (Kcal) 630/660   Fat (g) 34 g/40  Saturated Fat (g) 11/12  Trans Fat (g) 0 g/1.5   Cholesterol (mg) 10 mg/90     Sodium (mg) 1080 mg/980    Carbohydrates (g) 58/49            Fiber (g) 4 g/2  Sugar 12 g/11   protein 25 g/28                              
post edited by Wintahaba - 2019/09/28 13:50:47
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 14:02:02 (permalink)
compared to the regular whopper with cheese???

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 14:06:46 (permalink)
Both no cheese 1st is Impossible/2nd Reg
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 15:46:49 (permalink)
Add in the fact that the Impossible Whopper isn't truly 'vegetarian' due to being cooked on the same greasy grill as the beef patties 
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/28 17:27:57 (permalink)
All I know is, if people want them, bless them, they have the choice...and choices are growing. Enjoy!
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/29 19:39:18 (permalink)
So we eat more soy.........Roundup (tm) ready soy that is. ...........or maybe we go to organic soy. Who knows. The lawyers are going after Roundup, even though it is off patent, and last I heard about 70% of "roundup" sold is generic. I use "real" Roundup, because my growers licence requires it, and for a small guy like me, why cheat to save $10?

"Roundup" has helped to sequester LOTS of carbon. Banning it without replacement would be like building hundreds of 1950s era coal power plants. Nobody outside agriculture talks about THAT.

I agree with leethebard. If people like soy burgers, beef burgers, or rat burgers, enjoy! 
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/30 09:49:05 (permalink)
tmiles,

How does preventing plant growth sequester carbon? Less photosynthesis = less sequestration, Right?

jrp
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/09/30 13:40:51 (permalink)
tmiles, I agree, I don't care what people eat...just don't tout it as "healthy". 
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5294
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/01 17:17:14 (permalink)
Wintahaba
tmiles, I agree, I don't care what people eat...just don't tout it as "healthy". 

I don't think they have billed it as healthy, at least not in anything I have seen. They had an insert advertisement in the local grocery store sale flyer thing we get in mail and there was nothing in there about it being better, healthier, anything like that, just "100% whopper, 0% beef". I tried one and it was little different than a regular whopper...underwhelming. Good to have choices I guess.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3669
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/02 08:32:42 (permalink)
On sale this week at Aldi's:

Beyond Meat Beyond Burger Plant-Based Patties
Amount per lb. Current Price $4.49* Quantity 8 oz.

Description
Every Wednesday, look for our incredible Weekly Fresh Meat Specials*. When you see the sign, you'll find an extra-low price on one of our very best cuts of meat. But hurry…because at these low prices, our weekly supply is extremely limited.
  • Available Wednesday, October 2, while quantities last
  • Product Code: 14509

*Quantities are limited. Items may not be available in all stores. Prices and labels may vary by location. We may limit items sold. No rain checks. We are not responsible for printing or typographical errors. We welcome cash, EBT,  
post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2019/10/02 15:40:04
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/02 13:29:37 (permalink)
Tony Bad
Wintahaba

I don't think they have billed it as healthy, at least not in anything I have seen. They had an insert advertisement in the local grocery store sale flyer thing we get in mail and there was nothing in there about it being better, healthier, anything like that, just "100% whopper, 0% beef". I tried one and it was little different than a regular whopper...underwhelming. Good to have choices I guess.

Yes Tony...I'm not saying BK is saying that, just some of the Veggie crowd is. Again, to each his own.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/02 21:35:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby irisarbor 2019/10/04 08:31:41
jrp, I am having computer issues.......
Anyway, I'll answer your question without quoting it as the "quote" button doesn't work. Most of earth's carbon is IN the earth, such as lime (White Cliffs of Dover), coal , permafrost, etc. A lot of carbon is tied up in organic matter in the soil. Intelligent farming, so I am told (I have VOCATIONAL farm college training not the Scientific training that ag researchers get) is to keep the max amount of organic matter in the soil. There are farm production benefits, which I think that I have experienced. Keeping carbon in the soil via "no till" crop production, is good, so I am told, by plant scientists, so I do it, although I do miss the sight and smell of a freshly tilled field.

Thankfully for all the noise about climate change, there is actual research, by smart people going on. (and PLEASE note that I am not taking a position here, and I am not looking to fill this board with recycled comments...........most of us have heard them all) I have seen some of the research going on at field days held at the UMass research farm. Based on what smart people tell me, I am keeping carbon out of the air with no till. I don't know if less carbon in the air is "good" or "bad", and what difference my small plot makes, but I have been made to feel that I am doing the right thing.

I have grown soy, without Roundup, just to play with it.........if I tried to do it for a living, I'd fail, unless I grew Roundup ready soy, or had a good market for organic soy. I do grow Roundup Ready corn, under license from Monsanto (now Bayer). I plant into the residue of last years cover crop, and when weeds come up, I spray the whole field with Roundup. The weeds die and the corn grows. The soil is full of worms and organic matter, because Roundup is absorbed by the leaf, and degrades when it hits the soil. When I tilled and used Atrazine (a selective herbicide) the soil was almost sand after a year or two. All of that organic matter oxidized and put CO2 into the air.    So anyway, that is a quick and dirty lesson about Roundup. Roundup may be "good" or "bad" or both, but if it is banned, there will be a lot more CO2 in the air. That much we know. Is "more" or"less" carbon good? I'm not taking a position here.

We see the same "on the other hand" situation with the coconut oil used to make the fake burgers taste "better".  Poor people raising out of poverty. "good". Poor folks cutting forest for palm groves, "bad". By the time most people reach my age, they have been wrong on so many issues, that they don't look at issues as black or white, but as light gray or dark gray. As has been said by most of us earlier in this thread, most of us agree, let the free market and exchange of ideas work. I posted in a thread a few months ago that I have eaten one of the new burgers. IMO, they are good, but not worth extra $$. As others have said, and I agree, who says a burger has to taste like meat anyway? IMO, it only has to taste "good". The key will be when somebody makes a burger with 10 calories that tastes like heaven.
post edited by tmiles - 2019/10/05 11:23:41
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5294
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/03 21:53:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tmiles 2019/10/05 11:15:24

Yes Tony...I'm not saying BK is saying that, just some of the Veggie crowd is. Again, to each his own.

I'm not really sure this is even something the veggie crowd is even concerned with. I have a few veggie folks in my family circle, and they say they aren't looking for stuff that tastes or looks or feels like meat and really aren't sure who these things are supposed to appeal to. We have been eating non-meat burgers in our home for years...black bean burgers, mushroom burgers, and others that make no attempt to be like meat other than the fact they are shaped to fit on a bun like a meat burger. Some are pretty good and to me just offer a little variety. Seems this pretend meat stuff is receiving more hype from makers, investors, and business people than it is from vegetarians. As you say, to each his own.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9294
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/03 22:30:31 (permalink)
https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2019/10/03 
Arlo and Janis by Jimmy Johnson for October 03, 2019

pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Plant-Based Meat Is Not a Panacea 2019/10/04 11:11:04 (permalink)
In my business I had to do everything I could to keep my food prices low. I always served soy added burgers and never had complaints. If anything they held better than my 80/20 all beef patties that I farm raised on my pasture. I remember when imitation cheese came out. I knew I had to draw the line someplace, that was the place. Our local news people had a blind test of the Burger King impossible burger. They said the taste was about the same but, the texture was different. They picked out the impossible burger without any problem. Texture and mouth feel for food is an important thing. If anything this would be the main reason why I wouldn't try it. 
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5