Hot!Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/04/18 21:40:08 (permalink)
Good stuff , thanks.
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/11 17:37:21 (permalink)
There was a good turnout for the Little Poland festival in New Britain this year - at least before it started pouring around noon.  This picture was taken about half an hour after the festival opened at 10am; very soon, there were no empty patches of pavement.

Angelo's, the local Italian deli, had some good-looking stuff, but I wasn't here for that.

Ahh, yes.  This was more like it.

That and the pierogi below were from a stand representing the Old Country Deli in Enfield.  Their house brand of pierogi is Pierogi Queen, which apparently got its start at the Polish National Home of Enfield.

Two potato and cheese, one potato and cheddar (and now that I think of it, I'm not sure what the other cheese is), and one sauerkraut.  Good as they were, I think I prefer them boiled or sauteed, since those preparations let the fillings speak a little more.

Then it was over to Baltic Restaurant's stand for a similar sample.

The real star, though, at least for me, was Belvedere's stand.  They're supposed to be a smidgen more upscale than the other Polish restaurants in New Britain, and their offerings did seem more extensive than what you might expect.  For whatever reason, the other places, Cracovia and Staropolska, choose to not participate in the local festivals.

Oh my.

These bowls were placed after the trays of entrees.  They were lukewarm, and I'm not sure if they were intended to be side dishes or condiments.  Whatever the case, they were delicious.

Now just look at this.  Pickled beets, pickles, other pickles, sauerkraut, rye bread, sour cream, applesauce, Polish mustard... there was definitely care and thought put into this.

My plate from them: bigos, pierogi, kielbasa, and a potato pancake (placki ziemniaczane).

... and, to take home, a large container of kapusta from a food truck belonging to Bernat's, a Polish meat purveyor up in Chicopee, MA.

I stored that last one in my car and began walking back to the festival... when the rain came to cut my experience annoyingly short.  Oh well.  At least, in addition to the food, I'd gotten to glimpse some wonderful live music (ahh, polka!) and a local martial arts group.  And the Dozynki festival is still coming up!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22547
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/11 18:27:54 (permalink)
Wonderful. As usual.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8751
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/11 18:33:41 (permalink)
Mouth-watering!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/12 14:28:24 (permalink)
WOW!  I could spend a week there trying everything.

Not only does the food impress me but I want those terra cotta serving pieces!  Very cool!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7919
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/12 19:24:11 (permalink)
What a selection, especially that tray of sausages!

Ketteract, by any chance is there an eastern European component to your lineage?
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/13 08:01:17 (permalink)
And here's the thing: what I showed here was less than half of all the food vendors in attendance.  While the Dozynki festival runs over the weekend, the Little Poland festival is only one day, and my stomach space isn't unlimited.    

And SC, the closest I come to that is being a quarter German.  Or a fifth.  Something like that.  But that's central/western, I guess.
ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/05/14 10:37:50 (permalink)
Everything looks fantastic Keteract! Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of Irish comfort food (except corned beef). Would love to be as lucky to get a coworker to share like that. That tray of sausages is calling my name! I also prefer my pierogi boiled with butter, onion and bacon. Also that potato pancake looks perfect!
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/08/20 19:21:53 (permalink)
Thought I would share a few new (to me) Polish foods that I'd had from Roly Poly recently.

Paszteciki - stuffed pastry dough.  Their options were minced beef, sauerkraut and mushroom, and spinach.  I chose the S&M.  Looks a little like a sci-fi monster, doesn't it?

Kiszka ziemiaczana - "a kind of roasted sausage (pork casing) stuffed with potatoes, smoked or fried bacon, eggs, flour, onions, also well-known in the Podlasie region."  This is not meat - at least, not exactly.  It's mostly potato and it's meant to look like meat.  And delicious.

Aaaaand here's one of their gorgeous stuffed peppers.

Did I mention that you can get a kielbasa-and-kraut sandwich, a side of coleslaw, potato salad, or mac salad, a bowl of kapusta stew, and three pierogi for under $13?

post edited by Ketteract - 2017/08/20 19:47:27
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/08/27 16:37:44 (permalink)
Popped over to New Britain yesterday to enjoy some delicious eats at this year's Dozynki harvest festival.

First off, some wonderful kielbasa from Baltic.

I deliberately chose to omit toppings so I could taste the sausage as much as possible.  I'm sure some grillmaster could tell me what it is about the way they cut it that enhanced its flavor so damned much.

So many choices, but my usual m.o. is to try different things from different vendors.

Belvedere had highly impressed me with their stand at the earlier Little Poland festival, and they kept it up here.  Many complimentary sides, including gherkins, beetroot, cabbage salad, and of course rye bread.  Below them: excellent bigos and potato-and-cheese pierogi.

Lastly, it was over to Zieleniak for one of their pyzy z mięsem.

I'd never seen pickles served out of a container like this.

I gave serious thought to returning today, but, with summer drawing to a close, burgers and hot dogs were calling...
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/09/04 08:16:38 (permalink)
oh man, I love cabbage rolls, kielbasa, dumplings....and bigos, too....this looks wonderful.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8751
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/09/04 11:00:53 (permalink)
Great looking food!!!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7919
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2017/09/04 14:44:25 (permalink)
Ketteract
First off, some wonderful kielbasa from Baltic.

I'm pretty sure I'd just camp out at Baltic's stand.  My first thought is that the scored casing allows any condiments and toppings to really get in the sausage...a coarse deli mustard would work really good for me.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5