Helpful ReplyHot!Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 373
Re: Polish food in Connecticut 2018/03/30 10:53:11 (permalink)
hatteras04
So I've been doing some googling but I cant; seem to find a definitive answer - what exactly makes it "Easter" kielbasa?  Is it just a different spice blend than regular kielbasa?  How is it prepared?  Thanks for any feedback you can provide.  I doubt I can find any around here but gives me a future goal.

My paternal grandparents were of Czech heritage.  My recollection about Easter kielbasa is that it was part of what was served on Easter -- e.g., like Easter ham -- not that it was prepared from a recipe unique to Easter.  Also, my grandmother, like the other ladies in Windber, Pennsylvania, prepared an Easter basket filled with food like kielbasa, ham, breads, eggs, cheese, etc. that was brought to church on Easter morning to be blessed by the priest.
post edited by Ivyhouse - 2018/03/30 10:55:21
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1057
Re: Polish food in Connecticut 2018/03/30 18:59:40 (permalink)
hatteras04
So I've been doing some googling but I cant; seem to find a definitive answer - what exactly makes it "Easter" kielbasa?  Is it just a different spice blend than regular kielbasa?  How is it prepared?  Thanks for any feedback you can provide.  I doubt I can find any around here but gives me a future goal.

I asked Martin Rosol’s about this, and they replied that, for the Easter one specifically, they use different spices and somewhat leaner sausage. Czapiga down in Meriden does something similar, and the availability of both is restricted to around Easter time.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1316
Re: Polish food in Connecticut 2018/04/01 11:26:37 (permalink)
Thanks for the update! I was in my favorite store yesterday (Weiland’s) and they had some free samples of something at the butcher counter - slices of Easter Kielbasa! I tried it and loved it so I bought a ring. I already had a ham for today so I made it last night for dinner. I thought it was great. Of course I didn’t have anything to compare it to but I’ll definitely look for it every year from now on. I just grilled it and ate it with mustard. But I think it would be good with sauerkraut as well.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11779
Re: Polish food in Connecticut 2018/04/01 11:39:54 (permalink)
hatteras04
Thanks for the update! I was in my favorite store yesterday (Weiland’s) and they had some free samples of something at the butcher counter - slices of Easter Kielbasa! I tried it and loved it so I bought a ring. I already had a ham for today so I made it last night for dinner. I thought it was great. Of course I didn’t have anything to compare it to but I’ll definitely look for it every year from now on. I just grilled it and ate it with mustard. But I think it would be good with sauerkraut as well.

Good with fried cabbage and egg noodles with lots of pepper, also.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3038
Re: Polish food in Connecticut 2018/04/01 11:54:53 (permalink)
Ivyhouse
hatteras04

My paternal grandparents were of Czech heritage.  My recollection about Easter kielbasa is that it was part of what was served on Easter -- e.g., like Easter ham -- not that it was prepared from a recipe unique to Easter.  Also, my grandmother, like the other ladies in Windber, Pennsylvania, prepared an Easter basket filled with food like kielbasa, ham, breads, eggs, cheese, etc. that was brought to church on Easter morning to be blessed by the priest.

I'm also half Czech, and Easter morning was a big deal. Nut and poppyseed cakes, home made Easter bread ( Paska) and bobka. The Easter Kielbasa was sliced and served cold. We also had a baked bone in Ham. The boiled eggs were colored and on a bowl on the table. There was another egg dish (Sirecz (Easter Cheese)
that was like a molded scrambled egg that was wrapped in cheese cloth and hung in the pantry to mold into a round ball. That was sliced in chunks and served cold. Small homemade  Kolaches, stuffed with apricot, prune or a nut mixture nuts. I could almost smell the percolator coffee brewing on the table.....I miss this Easter meal......
post edited by pnwchef - 2018/04/01 12:14:51
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9309
Re: Polish food in Connecticut 2018/04/01 11:56:25 (permalink)
Yes, sometimes od traditions slowly fade away. Sad!
Ketteract
  • Total Posts : 1057
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2018/04/03 19:40:11 (permalink)
leethebard
Yes, sometimes od traditions slowly fade away. Sad!

Well, here's one that hasn't!

Another Easter has passed, and I've received another helping of leftover żurek from my thoughtful and generous Polish coworker.

The fixings: chopped kielbasa, ham, and boiled eggs, and homemade sour rye broth.

Cooked slowly on the stove.

Consider yourself lucky if you ever get the chance to have this. I say with no exaggeration that it's one of the best soups I've had. It is old-school, from the old country, bestowed upon us by generations past.

Also, you haven't experienced the flavor of rye until you've dipped rye bread in rye broth.

Na zdrowie.
post edited by Ketteract - 2018/04/03 19:41:18
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9309
Re: Polish food, in Connecticut and elsewhere 2018/04/03 19:55:38 (permalink)
Great!!!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5