Pommes Frites NY - Destroyed

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1634
2015/03/28 09:18:35 (permalink)

Pommes Frites NY - Destroyed

Many of you have probably heard about the gas explosion which leveled 3 small apartment buildings in NY City's Lower East Side. Each of those buildings had a small Mom & Pop food shop on it's ground floor, and one of those, Pommes Frites, is listed on the Roadfood website , and is often cited as having the best French Fries in the city (I'd agree).

Here's the Roadfood listing:
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/4173/pommes-frites

According to this article in the NY Times the owners are already talking about relocating and reopening. I sure hope they do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/nyregion/owners-of-restaurants-destroyed-in-east-village-explosion-mourn-their-losses.html?ref=todayspaper

3 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Pommes Frites NY - Destroyed 2015/03/28 09:24:53 (permalink)
    I was very sad to hear about this and grateful that I wasn't near there as I had been jonesing for their frites lately and was thinking about swinging by.  It was always one of my go-to stops on food tours or just when I had a hankering.  In one of the articles I had read yesterday, Pommes Frites' owner said all of their employees are accounted for and no one in their store was hurt.  Please keeps all those hurt or missing in your thoughts and prayers and if you ever smell gas in your home, call 9-1-1.  I reached out to Buffetbuster to have him archive the review.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6646
    Re: Pommes Frites NY - Destroyed 2015/03/29 09:26:26 (permalink)
    Too bad.

Pommes Frites was a definite stop for our next trip to The City.

I hope the new place has some seating, but with NYC retail rents ...

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re: Pommes Frites NY - Destroyed 2015/03/29 10:37:18 (permalink)
     Billyboy, I know that Paul's da Burger joint is only a few store fronts down from Pommes Frites. It looks like they may also have been in the path of the explosion. I wanted to get a burger at Paul's and fries from Pommes Frites when I took Mollie and Joyce there last year. My only problem was we were on our way down the block to eat a Pastrami on Rye at Katz Deli. I really liked this area, we walked and enjoyed the old charm of the store front and buildings. Mollie and Joyce loved Pommes frites. I hope they get up and running quick and then the people in the area are safe...............pnwc
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5