Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
2014/06/30 02:33:58 (permalink)

Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle

Yesterday, Poverty Pete was in town with the amazing Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps. Before we got to the Vanguard's part of the day, however, there were things to be done. I picked up Poverty Pete in the morning and proceeded to go grab some coffee while we discussed the plans for the day.

Our first stop was the Tropicana Cuban Bakery and Café in Downey. I've been going to the Tropicana for years and consider it the best Cuban bakery in a town that has many wonderful Cuban places like Porto's Cuban Bakery. Usually I'm there for dinner on the cafe side, where they make an excellent plate of oxtails, but today this would be our breakfast. PP was impressed with what was in the cabinets as he ordered a double Café Cubano while I went with a Café Americano. We ordered a cheese pastry, a guava pastry and a fruit tart to go with the café.

The pastries and café came to the table. PP enjoyed the freshness and flakiness of the pastries. We were off to a good start.
The fruit tart

Guava pastry

Cheese pastry

As opposed to our esteemed colleagues who do the list of places to go on an Excel spreadsheet, I had mappped our day out in Google Maps so we had not only all the places but travel times between all of them too. Pretty soon we deleted some and added others, cutting out the Long Beach leg of the day and adding others to try and fit everything in. We were ready to head to Pasadena for the next leg of the trip.

With typical L.A. Freeway problems, my GPS showed a major delay on our route, so I opted to instead take a surface road bypass which was interesting, as I was able to show PP different areas such as Monterey Park, which has turned into L.A's 'New Chinatown'. We also passed by 'Canton City', a restaurant that I had found after a lot of research. As opposed to most of the authentic Chinese restaurants I go to, this is an old, Cantonese-American place, complete with original diner-style counter and stools and even hamburgers on the menu. It is also one of only two places in all of the LA/OC area left that serves one of my favorite childhood dishes, Almond Pressed Duck.

Poverty Pete had requested that our next stop be Lucky Baldwin's British Pub in downtown Pasadena. Lucky Baldwin's is one of PP's favorite beer pubs, with 68 draught beers, and I soon was to wholeheartedly agree with him. There, he thought he would be able to get one of his favorite beers, 'Pliny the Elder', from Northern California's Russian River Valley. We parked and walked in, coming into a noisy, wild noontime crowd there rooting for Colombia in the World Cup match on all of their televisions.

PP ordered, but was was disappointed to find out they were out of 'Pliny the Elder', which the waitress told us is so popular that they sell out of it practically as soon as it arrives. We ordered some other beers to start. While we were enjoying our first round, I told PP that even though I had never been to Lucky Baldwin's, I did indeed know of it thanks to Sheldon on the 'Big Bang Theory'.

My Big Sky Pack Train Double IPA was excellent, and PP enjoyed his St. Feuillieun Belgian Coast beer. He asked for one of his favorite types of beer for us next. The waitress didn't know much about what he wanted, but in a nice touch, sent the bartender to our table to discuss beers with PP. He later sent a sample of a similar beer that he recommeded to us as well as a glass of Flanders Red Ale, the beer that he and PP thought was very close to what PP was looking for. PP was happy and so were the fans in their yellow Colombia jerseys, cheering loudly as Colombia scored a goal.

On our way back to the car, we came across the Old Town Shaving Company. I had no idea what the place was, but PP's eyes lit up and we went in. The place was really quite interesting, carrying a wide selection of both new and antique razors, shaving brushes, shaving creams, men's soaps and colognes. I enjoyed seeing their collection of old-fashioned straight edge razors. In my mind I could picture all of the old movies scenes about barber shops where the barber uses the folding straight edge razor to give his customer a close shave. PP bought a really nice old style single blade razor and blades, the kind I haven't seen since my father used one. It was an interesting shop and one that PP really enjoyed.

Being close to one of the most heavily Chinese populated areas in the U.S., our next destination was Newport Tai Cang Seafood for lunch. This has been one of my favorite places for years, especially for their fresh out-of-the-tank fish and seafood and their excellent menu of lunch specialties. As we walked in, I pointed out the tanks, filled with all sorts of live sea creatures. You can't get much fresher than that!

We ordered off the lunch menu, which included a delicious bowl of hot and sour soup to start.

Our entrees were Fish Fillet with Basil Sauce and Clams in Black Bean Sauce. They also have a really good whole fried fish but I love the Basil Sauce so the fillet won out. PP also tried a new (for him) drink, Watermelon Tea with Boba Pearls. We decided that the fish edged out the clams slightly as the 'winner', but that both were delicious.

Poverty Pete watching a huge platter of California King Crabs going by

Fish Filet with Basil Sauce

Clams with Black Bean Sauce      

After we ordered, we had noticed lots of platters going by loaded with big crab legs and claws. It looked so good we wished we had ordered that too. On our way out, we once again stopped by the tanks, noticing this time that a big one was filled with big, live California King Crabs, some of which must have weighed over 12 pounds and spanned 3 feet from leg to leg. That's where they got the crabs that filled those platters!

By the time both our platters were finished, we decided that the next stop I had planned, Fosselman's Ice Cream Parlor, would have to wait since we were both stuffed from the delicious seafood which we had consumed. Fosselman's, which opened in 1919, is the California equivalent of Graeters. I hoped we would swing by there after the show. We still had some more time before the show, so Poverty Pete asked if we could go back to the Old Town Shaving Company. We returned and he bought some more items that he had seen there. I think that was one of his favorite stops!

We made it to Citrus College around 4 p.m., looked around for a bit and then sat down to talk and enjoy the music. After we saw the Santa Clara Vanguard arrive, we went inside the stadium to watch some of the other groups.

As is befitting the quality of the group, the Vanguard was the final group to perform, preceded by their closest competition, the Blue Devils. All the performances were good, but you could really hear that the Vanguard was something special. Scheharazade, their music program, combined excellent musical performances, precision marching, elements of ballet and dance along with an amazing group of prop backgrounds designed especially for the show.

After the show, we worked our way back to the car. I knew it was too late for Fosselman's but that The Hat, with it's excellent pastrami dip sandwiches was nearby and open. After a short discussion, we both agreed we were still full from lunch and no more food was necessary. My original plan for dinner, La Casita Mexicana, with it's delicious molés and an excellent chili relleno, was practically around the corner from where PP and the Vanguard were spending the night. It was my original choice for our dinner, but they closed at 11 p.m. Even if we had not been full still from lunch, it was close to 11 p.m. when we pulled up to drop PP off.

It had been a long day, but PP and I had packed a lot into it. Between great food, great company and wonderful music, my day with Poverty Pete was excellent.

post edited by EdSails - 2014/06/30 03:02:06

26 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 05:31:45 (permalink)
    Looks like youze guys had fun! Nice report!
    I gave the Cuban Bakery an 11 on a scale of 10!
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 05:43:06 (permalink)
    Never a delay on the spreadsheet route....
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 05:47:18 (permalink)
    Those crabs look fantastic!  Next time!
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10301
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 06:23:48 (permalink)
    Enjoyed your report.  Great friends+great food= great day!!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12594
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 07:56:30 (permalink)
    What a fun day that must have been.  Ed, you really are a wonderful host.  Of all the food, the guava pastry is what really grabbed my attention.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13939
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 08:17:57 (permalink)
    PP's gig sure does give him a wonderful opportunity to visit with some wonderful folks and EdSails, you did a super job.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 08:33:57 (permalink)
    Mmmm - guava pastry!!!   Looks like a fun day, too.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 09:10:19 (permalink)
    I am a little concerned about Ed spoiling Poverty Pete.  Is going to expect this kind of hospitality everywhere he goes?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9242
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 10:47:38 (permalink)
    I'd be very happy with a bowl of that hot & sour soup!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23238
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 11:57:53 (permalink)
    Hey Ed, cut it out. When he's here he's just going to have to settle for Katzingers and the Waffle House.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3097
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 12:06:25 (permalink)
    Wow! PP and Ed doing the LA shuffle is great. Ed and I just got done doing the Walt Disney Waltz.This is like Roadfoods Dancing with the stars.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2952
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 12:10:34 (permalink)
    How could you? Without me? I'm very disappointed, Ed.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 12:12:13 (permalink)
    And Porto's is better than Tropicana.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 12:17:54 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Looks like youze guys had fun! Nice report!
    I gave the Cuban Bakery an 11 on a scale of 10!

You're very close!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 12:21:24 (permalink)
    EliseT

And Porto's is better than Tropicana.

I rate them pretty close to the same, Elise. However, Tropicana only has a half hour line, while Porto's is like an hour many times. That move Tropicana up. Plus, Tropicana's oxtails make going there a 2 for 1 deal!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 12:35:18 (permalink)
    EliseT

How could you? Without me? I'm very disappointed, Ed.

I thought you were in San Diego, Elise. 

It does sound like we are going to meet up and do a Tropicana vs. Porto's throw down one day!

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 15:27:25 (permalink)
    well, you got me on the oxtail. But the guava pastries at Porto's kick ass over Tropicana. PLus, if you come to Burbank Porto's there is almost no line. When I go to Glendale Porto's I take a number then spend 30 minutes in the book shop, though it will be closing soon.

And yes, I'm in San Diego. Will report back with findings.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 15:29:02 (permalink)
    Of course, you could write a review of Tropicana and put it in the blog, then here and I could write one on Porto's! Head to head!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 15:31:18 (permalink)
    EliseT

Of course, you could write a review of Tropicana and put it in the blog, then here and I could write one on Porto's! Head to head!

You're on!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 15:31:36 (permalink)
    Oh, and when Pliny the Elder comes to town Twitter goes berserk and people line up. But we can usually get it at Tony's Darts Away near my house. We missed it by about 2 months.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2352
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 15:45:48 (permalink)
    I know what. .. We should have a competition to see who can provide PP with the most outrageous and interesting time. Ed would be hard to top, but oh, that salad room!
    When I ordered the guavapastry the girl in the fedora asked me whether I wanted it with or without cream cheese.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 15:59:26 (permalink)
    EdSails

EliseT

You're on!

Wonderful idea!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 22:26:31 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

I know what. .. We should have a competition to see who can provide PP with the most outrageous and interesting time. Ed would be hard to top, but oh, that salad room!
    When I ordered the guavapastry the girl in the fedora asked me whether I wanted it with or without cream cheese.

I have to say, out of those three pastries, I think the guava was my favorite. 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/06/30 23:29:15 (permalink)
    PP- What a begger you are turning into !!  I look back on the days when we would seek out a Petro Bro. Truck Stop so we could get one plate with 2 CFS on it... to share, hehehe
     Now it's " Put another lb of Caviar on my Quail Egg's. Edwardo, and be sure that Brew is served at exactly 38 degree's. After all, I am driving to Catalina tomorrow and want to be at my best ! "
    Yeah guys, I'm afraid Pete has lost his Poverty !!

That's ok, we'll get him on a "Gizzards & Grits" diet when he comes home in September !!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/07/01 01:17:03 (permalink)
    EdSails
    Poverty Pete

I have to say, out of those three pastries, I think the guava was my favorite. 

Guava???????? Isn't that Bat Dung?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poverty Pete and EdSails do the LA shuffle 2014/07/04 03:31:08 (permalink)
    Guava WITH cream cheese, always. Lol Foodbme!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5