Prep table

Author
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 317
2017/02/17 00:43:43 (permalink)

Prep table

So just dumb luck, I came across a small 27 inch TRUE brand sandwich prep table the other day for a decent price.
Went to check it out.  Really nice shape, well taken care of.  Not beat to crap like others I have seen.
Even got a new compressor a year ago.

What concerns me is that I'm sure the whole time I was there, a good 30 min or so, the thing never shut off.
The temp was good, but that's easy to do if its ALWAYS running.

Is this normal??  I expected it to be more like a residential fridge.  Maybe come on a little bit more because the top part would be open more...  but not always on.

I need to know if this is closer to normal for a commercial unit, or more like a bad thermostat.

My vending machines use heavy duty commercial compressors, and they run ALOT.
But I don't have to worry about the electricity consumption, like I need to on the truck.

Heck this was one of the reasons I sold off the coke cooler that came in my truck, because it never seemed to turn off.
I just thought it might be because it was old and tired.....like me.

3 Replies Related Threads

kreativekvs209
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re: Prep table 2017/02/17 01:55:24 (permalink)
    let's see if this helps. when I was working in a kitchen we obviously have numerous fridges, and the sandwich prep fridge that I'm normally near never seemed to switch off and always humms. I too was wondering about that. so I'm not saying I'm a pro. but in my experience all the prep fridge that I've worked on,  the fan always kind of stayed on. and humms.  hope this helps..
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1023
    Re: Prep table 2017/02/17 16:46:42 (permalink)
    All the sandwich prep style tables at the restaurants I worked in were always on, as far as I recall. They have to be really to maintain the proper temperature of foodstuffs. Cutting off and on would land you in Dutch with the health department eventually.
    hpx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Prep table 2017/02/17 23:29:04 (permalink)
    Prep tables are by design intended to run almost steadily to compensate for the constant opening and closing to maintain the safety zone. Nothing else is used as much in a day. They also are notorious for having clogged coils which would be a good reason the compressor has been replaced in the past.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5