Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT

Author
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 934
2015/07/05 09:38:03 (permalink)

Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT

Yeah, I had Indian food on the 4th of July.  I didn't feel like grilling meat for just myself, all the local burger joints that I'd readily go to were closed (Plan B was open, but ehhh, just didn't feel like going there), and after a while I decided something different could be good.  It was.

Priya opened for dinner yesterday at 5:30 and was silent as a tomb, as you'd expect.  Being the only customer in a sit-down restaurant can be an odd experience but in this case it was sort of relieving.  I was ready to settle in and have a nice, quiet, indulgent dinner.  It helped that they're a smaller, dimly-lit place, though I could see others criticizing it for those same reasons.  A few folks did trickle in after 15 minutes or so.

I ordered samosas for an appetizer, because who can go to an Indian place and not have samosas?

They were piping hot, with a crisp flaky crust and a moist interior that was a touch spicier than what I was used to from other places, which I appreciated.

They ended up consuming most of the chutneys that had come with the complimentary poppadoms (mint-coriander, tamarind, and red pepper). The mint-coriander was the standout for flavor, but the cold chunky red pepper added a nice contrast to the samosas' smooth potato, as did the shredded beet and carrot.

Naan was also required, of course, and I opted for the garlic naan.

Look at that.  Perfection.  Fresh, warm, chewy, bursting with fresh garlic.  So good, in fact, that I had to check my impulse to dip it in the sauce of the malai kofta that I'd later be eating; it seemed a crime to interfere with this naan's flavor in any way.

Priya's version of malai kofta is potato and grated paneer dumplings in a creamy cashew sauce.

This is by nature a rich dish, and some places make it so rich that you really can't take more than a few bites, but that was not the case here.  There was balance, and I surprised myself by finishing all three of the large dumplings and having to restrain myself from using up the rest of the sauce with the basmati.  (Of course, I could have been just really hungry.)

I'm interested in returning to see what they offer at their buffet, and buffets are variable things, so there's still room for them to disappoint me, but based on the full dinner experience I'm putting Priya at the top.  They're sure as heck not cheap, but in this case, I definitely got what I paid for.

12 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8581
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/05 09:47:37 (permalink)
    Love Indian food....that naan looks delightful!!
    Ketteract
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/05 10:07:21 (permalink)
    Yeah, the naan was spectacular, easily the best I've ever had.  I have one leftover slice in the fridge...
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4732
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/05 10:16:44 (permalink)
    You made me want to go out for Indian food. Great pictures and choice of food.

Thanks for this fine report.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11334
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/05 21:36:15 (permalink)
    I used to have Indian food with my mother.  She loved it.  I learned to love it from street stands in Berkeley which I did not attend.   No one else likes it here so I haven't had it in awhile.
    Those dishes look delicious. 

Is the kofta in a korma sauce?  One of my favorites with paneer.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5630
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/05 22:05:12 (permalink)
    I'm mad for good Indian food. Luckily, we have a huge expat Indian population in Dallas and we like to eat where they eat. 
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5207
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 00:59:33 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    I ordered samosas for an appetizer, because who can go to an Indian place and not have samosas?

An Indian entree with rice and naan usually runs about 13 to 19 bucks around here, so I'm the one who goes to an indian place and doesnt have samosas :-)
    Ketteract
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 09:19:45 (permalink)
    Twinwillow
    I'm mad for good Indian food. Luckily, we have a huge expat Indian population in Dallas and we like to eat where they eat. 

When I left KC three years ago there were very few decent Indian places in the whole metro area.  Connecticut is a whole different story.  I counted three around Middletown, four around Rocky Hill, six around Hartford/WH/EH, and this being Connecticut, they're all close to each other.  
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1382
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 13:35:09 (permalink)
    Did the basmati rice you had have any colored grains in it?  Years ago, in Paisley, Scotland, my husband and I had dinner at an Indian restaurant and the chicken biryani was made with red, white and blue basmati rice. Would have been quite patriotic for July 4!  

I've never seen those colors since, though I have seen orange grains mixed in with the white ones.
    Ketteract
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 14:03:18 (permalink)
    Just your basic white basmati, but fresh. Probably helped that I was literally their first customer that evening.

mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11334
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 15:04:26 (permalink)
    I could that bowlof Basmati rice just as is.  I love the flavor.

Ketteract
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 15:08:57 (permalink)
    My Japanese mom used to buy enormous bags of Kokuho Rose sticky rice to use in, well, everything.  For a snack, she'd dress it up with soy sauce, sesame, etc, but I loved it just plain.  I remember the flavor but I can't articulate it.  It was delicious rice.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1382
    Re: Priya Indian Cuisine - Rocky Hill, CT 2015/07/06 16:13:03 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of white rice of all kinds.  I love basmati rice, but I enjoy plain old steamed rice from Chinese restaurants.  I don't know whether it is the varieties they use or the way they cook it, but I can't quite replicate it at home, although the recipe I use from the original Martin Yan "The Chinese Chef" cookbook comes close.

I agree, that bowl of basmati looks wonderful!
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5