Helpful ReplyHot!Products that I really like

Page: << < ..1617 > Showing page 16 of 17
Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2803
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/06 09:54:24 (permalink)
The "lumpy bumpy" Gold Nugget mandarins from California. They have been in limited supply for the last few years, with a short season, during roll-out. Now, they are in general supply at WalMart. Condition has been an issue. I have had a few bad ones in the last 2 bags that I bought, before my present bag that I checked carefully before buying. I predict that the Gold Nugget variety will eventually dominate the market.  
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5912
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/07 11:53:06 (permalink)
tmiles
The "lumpy bumpy" Gold Nugget mandarins from California. They have been in limited supply for the last few years, with a short season, during roll-out. Now, they are in general supply at WalMart. Condition has been an issue. I have had a few bad ones in the last 2 bags that I bought, before my present bag that I checked carefully before buying. I predict that the Gold Nugget variety will eventually dominate the market.  

https://story.californias...ck-a-kingdom-from-dust

You might enjoy this story, which won a James Beard award this year.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/07 16:52:07 (permalink)
I had not seen that story, but I have seen others. My daughter who is more up on this stuff, than I, thinks that the Water Barons are scum, who will ruin the lives of our children. I don't know. This could easily turn into a political thread, which is not my intention..........

I am reminded of a guy I met in the reserve 40 years ago. I was checking into a base for 2 weeks of training, and got there at the same time as another officer. The Colonel who interviewed us wondered why the heck we were farming, because he had grown up on a farm and knew what it was. I said that I liked it and was trying to hold on to the family farm. The other guy said, "To get rich".  He was M.E. out of Cal Tech and was working to automate a big lettuce operation. He said, "With respect sir. I make more than you do". I have no idea what he is doing now, and don't even remember his name.

I do remember his prediction that in the future, wars will be fought over water, not oil. (and remember the terrible oil situation at that time)

Maybe, I would prefer more small farms, along with the higher prices that it would bring, but at my age, my opinion doesn't matter. 

In the mean time I bought another bag of the Gold Nuggets. Maybe I should boycott them, but they are really good..........
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7365
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/10 13:14:15 (permalink)
Summer is coming ...

By far, the best pair of shorts I have ever owned are these, $15 bucks at Sam's and also available on Amazon and other places, just search "Coleman cargo shorts".

These shorts are extremely:  comfortable, functional, and fashionable. 

Comfort:  light, durable fabric; can be worn with and underwear or none  (excellent ventilation and no chafing).  So comfortable I'll even sleep in them.

Function:  eight pockets, sized to hold literally anything.  Six of the pockets are secured either by zipper or velcro - ideal to foil pickpockets.  (In our 2016 Paris visit, wearing Savane cargo shorts, I was 'picked' on the Metro).

Fashion:  they don't look like cargo shorts!  And they are highly durable.

Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1877
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/10 15:23:00 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Summer is coming ...

By far, the best pair of shorts I have ever owned are these, $15 bucks at Sam's and also available on Amazon and other places, just search "Coleman cargo shorts".

Comfort:  light, durable fabric; can be worn with and underwear or none  (excellent ventilation and no chafing).  So comfortable I'll even sleep in them.

Function:  eight pockets, sized to hold literally anything.  Six of the pockets are secured either by zipper or velcro - ideal to foil pickpockets.  (In our 2016 Paris visit, wearing Savane cargo shorts, I was 'picked' on the Metro).

Nice! My daughter and I really like the Coleman Hoodies we got a Sam's a couple of years ago. They're fantastic and so comfortable in winter! Those shorts look pretty good. I usually buy mine at Sam's, but I'm not a fan of synthetics. Can't remember the brand but the heavy cotton cargo shorts I've bought there are great. Comfortable, lots of pockets, nice web belt and they take a beating. Now, if they'd just start selling the silk Hawaiian style shirts again.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/10 19:53:28 (permalink)
The John Deere parts system.
I have a KBA harrow, considered the best of it's class when it was built. They stopped making them in 1968, and I bought a nice used one in 1975 or so. It got a lot of use when I farmed full time, but for the last 40 years or so it has gotten only a few hours of use each year. This year I broke a scraper blade, and over the years I have used up my small stock of spares. My dealer got me a new one in a few days. If I'd paid for overnight, I'd have had it the next day. The dealer now sells mostly lawn mowers , but they still do some farm biz.

I also have a 2 row Massey Ferguson corn planter. It too is best in class, and used ones are popular with hobby farms. The parts situation is not good, but thanks to the internet used parts are available. MF has had lots of owners over the years, and the MBAs don't see a reason to support the old products.

Speaking of John Deere I was looking at a new E110 mower since I was in the store anyway. The Salesman asked if he could help and I told him that I have the earlier D110, that still runs well. He asked and I said it was about 10 years old. He said to change the oil, but don't spend any money on it. They are designed to last 5 or 6 years. He said that you can chase problems, and spend more than the payments on a new mower. "Just call me when it breaks, and I can get you a new one the same day, or next day at the latest". It was one of the best low pressure sales pitches that I have ever heard.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/10 22:33:10 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
MetroplexJim
Summer is coming ...

Nice! My daughter and I really like the Coleman Hoodies we got a Sam's a couple of years ago. They're fantastic and so comfortable in winter! Those shorts look pretty good. I usually buy mine at Sam's, but I'm not a fan of synthetics. Can't remember the brand but the heavy cotton cargo shorts I've bought there are great. Comfortable, lots of pockets, nice web belt and they take a beating. Now, if they'd just start selling the silk Hawaiian style shirts again.

You are probably referring to the Savane brand cargo shorts that Sam's had a few years back.  I bought every color of those as well and love them, too.  

I usually avoid synthetics, but the material Coleman uses is exceptional in that it 'breathes' as well as cotton, yet is light as a feather and never sticks to my skin.  Believe me, if they weren't an unusually exceptional product I wouldn't have though to post about them.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9341
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/11 08:40:03 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Thank you for not including the adjective "short".
Root-Beer Man
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/11 13:16:38 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Root-Beer Man
MetroplexJim
Summer is coming ...

You are probably referring to the Savane brand cargo shorts that Sam's had a few years back.  I bought every color of those as well and love them, too.  

I usually avoid synthetics, but the material Coleman uses is exceptional in that it 'breathes' as well as cotton, yet is light as a feather and never sticks to my skin.  Believe me, if they weren't an unusually exceptional product I wouldn't have though to post about them.

Actually, I have a pair or two of the Savane's and they're pretty good. More of a "dress shorts" style, though. The one's I wear the most are Iron Co. brand. Much heavier and really pocketed. They're a more outdoorsy looking short. Great for yardwork or just tooling around. I didn't see any this year at Sam's.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/20 20:55:50 (permalink)
Just got a banner ad on RF offering cell phone spy ware. I know that the cops have it, and with a warrant, I'm OK with that. First, I think that to "listen in on any cell phone" is not legal, and second, I wonder what is in my search history that makes slime bags think that I am a potential customer. Anyone who would "like" such a product should IMO, have his/her name compared to names on certain "lists". I'm sure that this post will get me on a list too!!
Root-Beer Man
Re: Products that I really like 2019/05/24 10:07:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tmiles 2019/05/24 19:58:38
I got really lucky the other day and spied an offer from Amazon on a French made carbon steel 12.6" pan. It was 25% off the regular price. It is much heavier than a cast iron pan of similar size and smooth as silk. It was only $59! It is still on sale if you've been wanting a good pan!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00462QP1G/

tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Products that I really like 2019/06/02 19:26:19 (permalink)
Root Slayer garden tools. Expensive but worth it. 
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/09 16:53:24 (permalink)
Both the wife and I enjoy salads at Japanese restaurants that use a sesame dressing and we both like Chinese cold noodles with sesame paste.  Then I found this on Amazon, terrific stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH38O06
post edited by kozel - 2019/07/10 07:47:09
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12266
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/10 01:13:29 (permalink)
I love this thread and really look forward to hearing about new products.

Going to order the 8oz size bottle.  Sounds delicious.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/10 14:25:33 (permalink)
kozel
Both the wife and I enjoy salads at Japanese restaurants that use a sesame dressing and we both like Chinese cold noodles with sesame paste.  Then I found this on Amazon, terrific stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH38O06

mar52
I love this thread and really look forward to hearing about new products.

Going to order the 8oz size bottle.  Sounds delicious.

Haven't had that version of the dressing. I have had others that I picked up at my local Japanese grocer that are very tasty. Kewpie is Japan's major mayo maker, so it seems reasonable that they'd do a good job!

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12266
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/10 21:32:10 (permalink)
Thanks, I'll let you know!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/11 10:11:38 (permalink)
Just about everything from L.L.Bean!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/15 16:36:09 (permalink)
I ordered these and a few other things from L.L.Bean.  
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 957
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/16 13:35:01 (permalink)
lleechef
I ordered these and a few other things from L.L.Bean.  

Lisa, My Wife loves those shorts..has all the colors and was bummed no new colors this year.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/16 20:45:29 (permalink)
My white shorts and 2 tops arrived today!  I'm ready for summer!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23298
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/18 19:03:44 (permalink)
lleechef

And they look mighty good on you.

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/21 15:31:45 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
lleechef

And they look mighty good on you.

Thanks!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/21 16:18:42 (permalink)
Since starting with RF a dozen years ago one of the treats that I would have, otherwise, never have known is the 'Jersey deep-fried hot dog', e.g. "The Ripper" at the legendary Rutt's Hut.

But, they don't do that in Texas.  Nor, do I deep fry at home.

However, a while back I had acquired an item which I praised above and today I had a random thought to 'air fry' a hot dog.  So, I acquired a quality dog and air-fried them.

WOW!
Fantastic result.

To which I added French's mustard, chopped white onion, and this all on an open-top Pepperidge Farm's roll which I had toasted in the 'one side toast' function in this, praised above and also here.

God Bless America!

EDIT: 

Here is THE World's Best Insanely Effective Toasting Mechanism:

https://www.youtube.com/w...e=21&v=WMAhfSVFuYY

It's even better than as promoted above.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/07/21 19:06:36
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 419
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/21 20:52:39 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
EDIT: 

America's Test Kitchen agrees...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jveit7UKBy4&list=PLnbzopdwFrnbt5uZx46gvyskyu41z7hlQ&index=8&t=0s
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10395
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/22 07:21:59 (permalink)
Ghaz
MetroplexJim
EDIT: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jveit7UKBy4&list=PLnbzopdwFrnbt5uZx46gvyskyu41z7hlQ&index=8&t=0s

Love these test videos. That's a nice winner there!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/22 10:02:50 (permalink)
leethebard
Ghaz
MetroplexJim
EDIT: 

And they tested the "basic" model. 
Ours is the Breville Die-Cast Long-Slot Smart Toaster BTA830XL.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10395
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/22 12:53:37 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
leethebard
Ghaz
MetroplexJim
EDIT: 

And they tested the "basic" model. 
Ours is the Breville Die-Cast Long-Slot Smart Toaster BTA830XL.

For $180, I'd expect it to bake the bread....and my wife toasts mostly bagels...and it says it doesn't do that well. Looks great, but that price for a toaster...even a great one...is too much. 
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/22 13:18:09 (permalink)
Copper skillets!  
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/22 13:45:47 (permalink)
lleechef
Copper skillets!  

I'd love to have them, but I spent all our money on a toaster.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Products that I really like 2019/07/22 13:51:54 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
lleechef
Copper skillets!  

I'd love to have them, but I spent all our money on a toaster.

Turn the broiler on!  Then you can make toast!  Get a copper skillet!
Page: << < ..1617 > Showing page 16 of 17
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5