Helpful ReplyHot!Products that I really like

Page: << < ..161718 Showing page 18 of 18
Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/17 12:42:05 (permalink)
tmiles
You will not find this product at your local store........

A few nights ago on TV I saw the new Marine Corps mine clearing machine. In my time as a combat engineer (sapper), the line charge delivery device was so dangerous, that we didn't even train with it. When I went "on float", I was told that if I needed it, to read the directions, and launch it myself, rather than assign the job. 

The new machine is sort of like a tank, that fires the line charge from a "gun". No operator of the machine has ever been hurt in combat. 

I am reminded by this of what my dad used to tell us about how they cleared mines in the Seabees. Nothing fancy, at all. They just used a bulldozer, set the blade at a bit of an angle and cleared a path. Now that's how ya clear it!
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10413
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/17 12:53:59 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
tmiles
You will not find this product at your local store........

A few nights ago on TV I saw the new Marine Corps mine clearing machine. In my time as a combat engineer (sapper), the line charge delivery device was so dangerous, that we didn't even train with it. When I went "on float", I was told that if I needed it, to read the directions, and launch it myself, rather than assign the job. 

The new machine is sort of like a tank, that fires the line charge from a "gun". No operator of the machine has ever been hurt in combat. 

I am reminded by this of what my dad used to tell us about how they cleared mines in the Seabees. Nothing fancy, at all. They just used a bulldozer, set the blade at a bit of an angle and cleared a path. Now that's how ya clear it!

WOW!!!

tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2812
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/17 20:20:37 (permalink)
The bulldozer method is very dangerous, but as Rootbeer says, the Seabees did it anyway, as have many other patriots over the years. The new, far safer, Marine machine has a V shaped blade in front, which is the preferred way to clear. The line charge which looks sort of like 100s of bags of flour attached to a rope, is for the really tough stuff. The bags are actually full of explosive. The line charge is fired, lands in a line on the ground and then explodes.   

In a play on words, my mentor once told me that "There are no good experienced sappers", because to be "experienced", was to be dead. The new machine changes that. Since it's introduction, according to the TV show, no Marine has ever been hurt clearing mines with it.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5620
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/19 20:09:05 (permalink)
Been on a cheese kick lately, focusing on progressively older cheeses and some new-to-me cheeses from the UK, like red leicester and double gloucester

as such, I had a widmer's (wisconsin) cheddar that was 10 years old this week.  There was a 15 year variety also available but at 70 dollars a pound......i just couldnt.  The 10 year was just under 20 a pound.  Man oh man, it was spectacular, but at that price point, it'll have to be a very limited occasion treat.

I am so far finding the sweet spot of price and flavor to be at about 5 years for me
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9349
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/19 21:07:23 (permalink)
TJ, you can get Widmer's for a lot less if you order from the factory:

https://www.widmerscheese...egory/cheddar-cheeses/
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12275
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/19 21:33:09 (permalink)
Hawij spice for coffee mix.

I bought it on Amazon and will be reordering it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp..._s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As long as you get the coffee mix and not the soup mix it's a blend of Ginger, Cinnamon, Green Cardamom, Cloves.

I just put a bit in my smoothie and it's terrific!
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5620
Re: Products that I really like 2019/11/19 22:16:01 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
TJ, you can get Widmer's for a lot less if you order from the factory:

https://www.widmerscheese...egory/cheddar-cheeses/

agreed, but shipping doubles to sextuples the overall cost......

Jungle Jims had 3-4 oz portions of the 15 year and I will eventually take a crowbar to the wallet just to experience cheddar of that age once

EDIT:  for this week, i am currently enjoying Black Diamond 5 year cheddar (seems like is it mass produced given the packaging, but its really good) and a very good 4 year cheddar from Jims in Waterloo WI.  Both are excellent and yet fairly reasonably priced
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2019/11/20 22:13:12
Page: << < ..161718 Showing page 18 of 18
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5