Quick Trip To St. Louis

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1331
2018/03/25 13:01:41 (permalink)

Quick Trip To St. Louis

So, we're taking a couple of days and going to St. Louis to see the sights. Already planning a stop at Ted Drewe's and Fitz's. I'm thinking we might add in a trip to Smoke & Salt (across the street from Fitz's) for some BBQ. Can't find a review for it, (and I'm pretty sure someone recently posted about eating there). Any other suggestions? Breakfast spots? Lunch?

9 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8259
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 13:25:34 (permalink)
    IIRC the last RFer to visit Smoke and Salt was Buddy Roadhouse last September, and his review was favorable.

What days are you traveling?  If you're arriving on a Sunday a detour down IL-3 to Gallagher's in Waterloo for the Sunday chicken dinner is absolutely worth it.  They serve chicken other days of the week but only on Sunday does it come with all the fixin's.

I've not yet been to Southern but some of my coworkers speak of it very highly, and it's in the same building as Pappy's Smokehouse.  Another place I like is Smokee Mo's down in Arnold, and if you get there for lunch on a Monday you can get a "Mostrami" sandwich.
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 13:30:32 (permalink)
    We'll be there Tuesday through Thursday. Not a lot of time, but maybe enough to get around a bit.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 13:37:58 (permalink)
    In what part of the city or suburbs will you be staying?

For a quick meal Lion's Choice is a good option, if you don't mind a roast beef sandwich that contains real roast beef.
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 13:44:26 (permalink)
    I do believe we're staying at a Hampton's Inn over by the zoo. While I'd love a roast beef sandwich, the wife has a wheat sensitivity. So we try to find places that have non sandwich options (or gluten free breads, like Fitz's. She's really looking forward to one of the burgers!).
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 743
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 13:52:39 (permalink)
    When we were in St. Louis a few years back, I considered the burgers at Carl's Drive-In to be a, if not the dining highlight of the trip. They are pressed flat, in the style of a lot of Midwestern drive-in type places.   They also make their own root-beer.

https://roadfood.com/restaurants/carls-drive-in/

We went straight from there to Ted Drewes, which isn't that far.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/03/25 13:57:09
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5946
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 14:48:14 (permalink)
    The ChickenBoy is correct, I stopped by Salt + Smoke last fall on the way home from a mini-roadtrip to Kansas City.  I'm almost certain I went the traditional route with a Pulled Pork Sandwich and, at the waiter's suggestion, the White Cheddar Mac & Cheese ("Cracker Mac" on the menu).  I don't remember too many specifics about the Pork, but it had a good smoke flavor and proved to be a fine platform for their sauces, especially the mustard based version.  The Mac & Cheese left a stronger impression.  It was rich and flavorful, creamy without being soupy, and there was plenty of it.

BTW, if you're looking for StL recs in general, you can do worse than checking out CrouchingChickenScreamingDragon's various missives on the subject here, here, & here.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 15:04:35 (permalink)
    Sounds like you'll be just north of The Hill, if you feel like having Italian some night.  Or if you feel more like spending some $$$ on steaks you could also head 6 or so miles west on I-64 to US-61/Lindbergh Boulevard, which is home to both Kreis' (north) and Citizen Kane's (south).  Again, these are places where I haven't yet eaten but are recommended (especially Citizen Kane's) by my St. Louis co-workers.

Are you taking I-70 from Indy?  Any eating along the way or are you going to just push on through?
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 16:19:05 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Sounds like you'll be just north of The Hill, if you feel like having Italian some night.  Or if you feel more like spending some $$$ on steaks you could also head 6 or so miles west on I-64 to US-61/Lindbergh Boulevard, which is home to both Kreis' (north) and Citizen Kane's (south).  Again, these are places where I haven't yet eaten but are recommended (especially Citizen Kane's) by my St. Louis co-workers.

Are you taking I-70 from Indy?  Any eating along the way or are you going to just push on through?

Steaks might be a plan. That's always a part of the diet. Yeah, we're taking 70 straight thru with no stops planned. It's a short 4 hours or so and we'll likely just grab some coffee and such on the way out.
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 715
    Re: Quick Trip To St. Louis 2018/03/25 18:22:01 (permalink)
    I went to Salt + Smoke when I stopped in St. Louis before last year’s Roadfood Crawl of KC. I loved it, and liked it much more than Bogart’s. I had he brisket and pulled pork combo with the mac and cheese and beans. I think that Gregg raved about the bbq bologna.

David
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5