Red Hill Royal Cafe (Coloma, WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8449
2017/08/19 21:07:09 (permalink)

Red Hill Royal Cafe (Coloma, WI)

On our way home from our vacation at the end of July we stopped in Coloma, WI to try to find a bite to eat.  I knew there was an A&W and that would do in a pinch, but as we drove past it I noticed the Red Hill Royal Cafe right next door.

The menu lists a BLT and a "homemade" BLT.  My wife ordered the BLT and while we didn't ask we wondered if the difference might be in the bread that's used.  And while this was a simple sandwich she really appreciated the quality produce and generous amount of thick bacon.

One of the specials that day was a hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy.  I expected it to be served open-face but received this instead.

Did I complain?  I did not!  This was Midwest comfort food at its best: tender beef, real potatoes, slightly salty gravy, and toasted white bread in harmony on a single plate.

The cafe originally opened in town in 1951 as the Royal Cafe but the building was moved to its present location on the western edge of town back in the mid-1980s when US-51 (now I-39/US-51) was relocated as a bypass; there are several framed photos and newspaper stories about the event (which would've been a big deal for Coloma) on the cafe walls.  Back in the 1970s my great-uncle had a vacation place just west of Coloma and we would take US-51 north to WI-21 to get there, but I honestly can't remember if we went through town and I'm pretty sure we never ate at the Royal Cafe.  Time to poll the relatives!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/08/19 21:56:50

2 Replies Related Threads

phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 767
    Re: Red Hill Royal Cafe (Coloma, WI) 2017/08/21 20:44:31 (permalink)
    That roast beef looks very good.
    ALL GOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Red Hill Royal Cafe (Coloma, WI) 2017/08/22 13:29:50 (permalink)
    Pretty sure I was there as a kid.  Grew up north of Madison.  That beef and gravy sure looks awesome.  Even the simple BLT looks really good.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5