Hot!Regional potato chips

Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Author
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Regional potato chips 2015/05/05 11:27:11 (permalink)
In central Massachusetts we have two local brands - Wachusett and Tri-Sum.

Wachusett products are great, far tastier than Lays IMO.  They were bought by UTZ but seem to have maintained their local identity.

I bought some Tri-Sum chips for the first time in years yesterday - good but definitely a distinctive taste (maybe the oil they use?).  I prefer the Wachusett.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2182
RE: Regional potato chips 2015/12/07 15:52:34 (permalink)
A lot has changed in the 11 years since this thread was started.

I'm looking for a new source of Bon Ton potato chips now that A&P has ceased operations. Hanover Foods/Bickels was making A&P's America's Choice potato chips at the old Bon Ton plant in York, PA. They tasted the same as Bon Ton. You can buy Bickels's potato chips, made in the same plant, at some food stores in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. However, I believe the Bon Ton chips are sliced thinner.

You could always tell Bon Ton chips from the code on the package. The top line was usually the expiration date. The second line was usually a four digit alpha-numeric code. The potato chip code always began with a B. The corn chip and cheese puff product codes usually began with a X, Y, or Z.

I'm concentrating on supermarket chains outside the NY Metro area.

Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Regional potato chips 2015/12/23 15:05:45 (permalink)
Here in NJ (Jersey City) we used to have Bon Ton--I think they were a small chipper!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8293
RE: Regional potato chips 2016/05/05 19:14:11 (permalink)
WarToad
Love Sterzing's.  3 ingredients.  Potatoes, salt, oil.  Fry.  But they do it soooOOOooo well.

I finally tried Sterzing's this week after picking up a bag last weekend in Des Moines, and they're definitely good.  To me they have a strong resemblance to the Mrs. Fisher's chips I mentioned previously, with Sterzing's seeming just a little bit lighter in taste and texture.  We're having some with our cheeseburgers tonight.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1426
RE: Regional potato chips 2016/05/06 14:28:05 (permalink)
They aren't regional anymore, Zapp's was bought by UTZ.  Two of the original owners started a new line of tortilla chips called Hola Nola, I've had their Creole flavored ones and they're good.

Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Regional potato chips 2016/11/15 13:06:54 (permalink)
I have tried Mrs. Fishers based on a rabid recommendation from a friend.  Not liking them too much.  They are ok but the oil they use seems to add a different flavor to em. Not very potatoey, but folks in Rockford IL swear by em
essvee10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Regional potato chips 2016/11/15 15:26:42 (permalink)
As I have stated previously, Wachusett brand potato chips are the best still extant to my mind. My madeleine, State Line brand potato chips, is no longer. Sigh. 

BUT, take heart! I have found that the Simply Lays thick cut potato chips are very similar to the wonderful potato chips of my yoot. Thick, ivory-colored, ungreasy, with eyes closed they do resemble those good old brands. Calloo! Callay!
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1341
RE: Regional potato chips 2016/11/15 15:39:37 (permalink)
essvee10
As I have stated previously, Wachusett brand potato chips are the best still extant to my mind. My madeleine, State Line brand potato chips, is no longer. Sigh. 

BUT, take heart! I have found that the Simply Lays thick cut potato chips are very similar to the wonderful potato chips of my yoot. Thick, ivory-colored, ungreasy, with eyes closed they do resemble those good old brands. Calloo! Callay!

I will second your lauding of Simply Lay's chips. These things are like crack for a potato chip lover. Best amount of salt and a potato taste unlike any other chip out there.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Regional potato chips 2016/11/27 11:22:25 (permalink)
essvee10

Yes, I live in the heart of Wachusett country, they are the best. I'm glad that the change of ownership did not change the product. Most independent sub shops around here offer both Wachusett and Lays products.

I also agree on the Simply Lays - had some when I got a sub from Subway since they only offer Lays products.  Much better than the basic Lays chips.
Cincinnati Specialties
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Regional potato chips 2017/02/03 10:16:45 (permalink)
Here in Cincinnati there is one brand that dominates the BBQ chip market and that is Grippo's BBQ Potato Chips. These are by far some of the best BBQ chips I have eaten. A good thing about Grippo's is they also sell the BBQ spice that they put on the chips. I have put this on chicken, pork , and burgers and love it!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8293
RE: Regional potato chips 2018/02/06 11:34:28 (permalink)
Mrs. Mike's from Freeport, IL have started showing up in one of the local IGA stores.  They're very much in the style of Sterzing's and remind me of how Mrs. Fisher's used to taste (I'm convinced that Fisher's changed something in the last few years as they just don't seem to taste like I remember).
ALL GOOD
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Regional potato chips 2018/02/06 13:16:51 (permalink)
How about some Oke Doke chips?  Central Wisconsin treat!  That and Old Dutch
Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5