Restaurant health ratings

Author
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1330
2004/04/23 17:06:14 (permalink)

Restaurant health ratings

Years ago, I was very religious on reading the local "health ratings" of restaurants. If they received a low rating, I avoided the restaurant like the plague. Eventually, my (now deceased) husband and I became close friends with a lovely gentleman who owned a fine restaurant and he explained some of the things that points are taken off for. He claimed that if the meat slicer was left out on the counter, it was so many points off, if a package of chicken was on the fridge shelf above a dairy product, points were taken off. He said that he felt that most home kitchens would grade very low by the health board restaurant grading many times. How do you feel about this? Do you let health rating affect your going to a certain restaurant or do you look at the violations and judge the restaurant by that? Or do you just think "The restrooms are clean and it looks nice and clean so I am happy"?

13 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/23 17:31:06 (permalink)
    Chezkatie, I pay a lot of attention to the health ratings. They are there for a reason. It is nothing more than an indicator but if they do not do good, they are avoiding GMP's . These things are in affect to protect your health.

I hear a lot of stuff from folks who do not like chains. I am not a big advocate of chains but they do have SOM's which helps them maintain standards. Mom and pop's do not have this and you are dependent on the integrity of that particular system which may or may not be on top of their game.

If they got a low rating, do not go there. Perserve your health.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11448
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/23 17:51:11 (permalink)
    Oh yes, the old panick statement, "THE HEALTH INSPECTOR IS HERE!!! AHHHHH!" as I ran for my hairnet.
    In my restaurants I never scored lower than 95........you have to be very careful when it comes to sanitation and proper food handling. Sterilizing cutting boards and knives before using again is something most home cooks do not do but professional chefs adhere to. And yes, the proper place to store chicken is on the bottom of the fridge or walk-in........who wants chicken jizz dripping on the apples or pears or cream cheese? I follow the health ratings very carefully......but when traveling, who knows what you're in for? You just gotta hope that the cook or chef of busboy didn't just sneeze into his/her hands.....
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/23 18:24:46 (permalink)
    I am a health inspector and none of the towns I inspect are required to post ratings on the web or in the paper, though it is public information and anyone could come into the office to look at inspection reports. You should look at the type of violations; critical violations are those that are a risk to health.If the place has several criticals, I would not eat there. Other minor violations are not as risky. Personally, I would rather eat at a high scoring restaurant all other things being equal. Some managers are great about this, but others are careless and they risk the health of the public. shame on them.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/23 18:50:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bethgrd

I am a health inspector and none of the towns I inspect are required to post ratings on the web or in the paper, though it is public information and anyone could come into the office to look at inspection reports. You should look at the type of violations; critical violations are those that are a risk to health.If the place has several criticals, I would not eat there. Other minor violations are not as risky. Personally, I would rather eat at a high scoring restaurant all other things being equal. Some managers are great about this, but others are careless and they risk the health of the public. shame on them.

Amen:

Do not consume at any place that does not comply.

The Sundancer does not sonsume at anyplace that has a low score.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/27 08:59:19 (permalink)
    Our local newspaper prints a list every Sunday of all the places that have been inspected during that week. Also, one of our local tv stations has an announcement called Eat Drink and be Warry that they list the top 3 and bottom 3 ratings for the week and also tell if any restaurant has improved with reinspection. It is also posted on their web site along with the reasons for the ratings they received. Also, all of the restaurants in this area are required to post their rating so that it can be seen as your enter the restaurant.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/27 09:10:01 (permalink)
    One would think that a restaurant that receives a good score from the health inspector would proudly advertise that fact in the front window. I wonder why you don't see that very often? Is no place clean! Even if local laws do not require a restaurant to disclose this information, I would think a good score would be a great way to entice more customers.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/27 09:30:31 (permalink)
    Our restaurants have to display a sticker on the door or prominent place, you can see them just driving by basically. A, B, C. I've never seen a C but I have seen a B. I eat at As.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4741
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/27 20:46:11 (permalink)
    The county I live in has a web site that not only lists their ratings, but what violations (if any) they had, for the last four or so inspections. So not only can you see what their score was, you can make your own decisions as to whether or not a low score means you shouldn't eat there.

My "home" bar had points taken off because they were out of paper towels at the employee hand sink once. Another time, someone had neglected to put the cap back on the jar of mayonnaise before refrigerating it. To me, that's acceptable. The places that regularly get written up because their meat is stored at improper temperature, or because they have filth in the corners...not so much acceptable.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/28 00:11:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

Our local newspaper prints a list every Sunday of all the places that have been inspected during that week. Also, one of our local tv stations has an announcement called Eat Drink and be Warry that they list the top 3 and bottom 3 ratings for the week and also tell if any restaurant has improved with reinspection. It is also posted on their web site along with the reasons for the ratings they received. Also, all of the restaurants in this area are required to post their rating so that it can be seen as your enter the restaurant.

We had a community newspaper that once did the same thing. I always got a kick out of seeing which places got good ratings, which were average, and which failed. I admit, I never again darkened the door of any of the failures. The sad thing about this was seeing an elementary school cafeteria fail, and it happened quite a bit. Gas station lunch counters were another frequent failure, and I'll go out on a limb and predict that it was because of the week old Big Red Smokey's that were prepetually turning on that greasy spit.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/28 21:16:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by felix4067

The county I live in has a web site that not only lists their ratings, but what violations (if any) they had, for the last four or so inspections. So not only can you see what their score was, you can make your own decisions as to whether or not a low score means you shouldn't eat there.

My "home" bar had points taken off because they were out of paper towels at the employee hand sink once. Another time, someone had neglected to put the cap back on the jar of mayonnaise before refrigerating it. To me, that's acceptable. The places that regularly get written up because their meat is stored at improper temperature, or because they have filth in the corners...not so much acceptable.

In the Sundancer's humble opinion, the rules are there and if you are viewed as violated one of them, you could have violated more than that. To leave the lid off the mayo jar invites comtamination. I want to eat at restaurants that complies with all regulations regardless of what they are. Those that comply with all are most likely to be the most likely to be the most health compliant.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/29 08:26:14 (permalink)
    I also never eat at restuarants that have low health scores. To me, you are running a public place serving all walks of life. what may be okay in your personal kitchen is not okay in your public kitchen. You want me to pay to eat at your place? Adhere to the rules. In fact, go beyond them. many restaurants I frequent do. It just shows the pride that you have in place.

And i know plenty of chains that do surface cleaning only. Most in fact do. Regardless of their procedures, you gotta look at the fact that the staff is mostly high school kids. The managers are corporate people. Neither groups have the pride in their restaurant like mom and pops do.

wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/29 11:50:17 (permalink)
    In Virginia there is a website which shows EVERY inspection report and lists them by county (or city).

http://www.healthspace.ca/vdh
    Mavlily
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Restaurant health ratings 2004/04/30 15:38:53 (permalink)
    Does anybody know where I can find the health dept. ratings of restaurants in Connecticut....particularly Litchfield County? This used to be published by the area health district in the local newspaper but they haven't done this in years and I would love to know how the area restaurants score. Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5