Restaurant-ing With The KKK

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1911
2017/03/27 11:15:32 (permalink)

Restaurant-ing With The KKK

https://restaurant-ingthroughhistory.com/2017/03/27/restaurant-ing-with-the-klan/

More strong work here.

15 Replies Related Threads

mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 13:03:52 (permalink)
    Oh, my GOD.." />
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5389
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 13:54:01 (permalink)
    mlm
    Oh, my GOD.." />

The title is very misleading.
    A very good article about the intimidation tactics employed against
    Greeks and Catholics among others who served Blacks and suffered for their goodwill.
    scrumptiouschef
    • Total Posts : 1911
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 15:38:07 (permalink)
    Her website is called Restaurant-ing Through History, and she frequently uses 'restaurant-ing' as a verb. Not misleading. It's her authorial voice.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11466
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 18:29:15 (permalink)
    Darn,  I thought this was about Kasha, Kreplach and Kugel.

But really, that all happened.  Maybe that's why "areas" came about like Chinatown or Little Tokyo.

I remember taking a train to the east coast in 1961.  I was only eleven but I knew something was odd about the bathrooms and drinking fountains.  Men, Women and Colored on the bathrooms but of the two drinking fountains only one was labeled... Colored.  Shocking to me then even though I was a kid.

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5023
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 20:28:34 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef,

Thank you for linking to this article. It was very thought provoking and a reminder (or first exposure for some) to a cruel and tragic part of American history. 

For me, I've been scratching my head since I started work in North Carolina about why there is so little diversity of cuisine and so few long established restaurants. In urban areas there are many start-ups offering a variety of cuisines, but in rural areas you get barbecue, fried chicken, buffets and maybe some Meat & 3's. The Klan's influence is not necessarily contrary to my working theory, but is more likely the prime reason for this.

Jim
    goheels
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 20:59:55 (permalink)
    Really?  The Klan is a prime reason for BBQ, fried chicken and meat & 3s in North Carolina?  Surely you are either kidding or making a bad joke.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 21:18:37 (permalink)
    Don't teach reading comprehension at UNC, huh?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22594
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/27 22:09:50 (permalink)

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/28 07:55:30 (permalink)
    goheels,

I take back that nasty comment and apologize, although I believe that if your moniker was WolfPacker you would have caught on. I know, that's another low blow. But I do draw the line at comparisons to that school in the other blue color whose fans will immediately disappear with a loss in March.

The issue I was getting at was a lack of diversity of cuisine (Italian, Greek, Chinese, etc.) which the linked article says was quashed in parts of the South by the Klan. I think Southern society was/is rather closed to different influences of many kinds, and the yahoos in the Klan took it upon themselves to enforce it with violence and intimidation. Not the prime reason for the limited dining choices, but a part of it.

Jim
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 2159
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/28 10:12:12 (permalink)
    Good article, S.C.  I've always liked her website.  Our food history is nothing less than a reflection of our culture history, for better or worse.

Go HAWKS!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5697
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/28 17:05:42 (permalink)
    mar52
    Darn,  I thought this was about Kasha, Kreplach and Kugel.

I remember taking a train to the east coast in 1961.  I was only eleven but I knew something was odd about the bathrooms and drinking fountains.  Men, Women and Colored on the bathrooms but of the two drinking fountains only one was labeled... Colored.  Shocking to me then even though I was a kid.

A similar situation for me when after graduating HS in 1958, I took a Greyhound bus from NY to Los Angeles. Traveling thru the Southern states, I was totally blindsided and dumbfounded by the blatant segregation I witnessed. Terrible!
    goheels
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/28 17:15:07 (permalink)
    Grew up in the North...check the pre-civil rights ability to get a haircut, obtain equal housing, etc. in the North.  Many people who live in the South do not enjoy preconceived notions on the part of others, particularly when their part of the country was also deeply stained by the roots of discrimination.  Did it occur that the foods being discussed have possible roots in the South about 100 years prior to the KKKs establishment?  Snarky and sanctimonious sometimes rules on this website.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5773
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/28 17:31:16 (permalink)
    JRPfeff can fight his own battles, but I've got a minute to kill and thought I'd jump in.

Jim isn't implying that the Klan is responsible for BBQ, Fried Chicken, or Meat and Three restaurants.  What he's saying is that the Klan's intimidation prevented any kind of culinary diversity from taking hold, if it was offered by anyone with different colored skin or a funny sounding ethnic name or foreign accent.

His snarky comment (which he apologized for) was in response to your misreading of his post.  Go back and reread his original statement, then give it more careful consideration.  Then think about your reply.  You might find that apologies travel on a two way street.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/03/28 17:32:41
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/28 20:10:33 (permalink)
    goheels,

I'll give a short version of my working theory.

After residing in NC for a short while, it was pretty apparent that restaurant choices were very limited (at least in  non-hipster areas) and the choices were dominated by fast-food and fast casual chains. This idea was cemented when my wife and I took a drive north out of Durham and into the central part of Virginia. We planned on having a Roadfood dinner, but never passed a single Mom & Pop type independent restaurant (with the exception of a seedy looking Chinese place). We saw a lot of chain choices on the drive.

Driving a similar distance through rural Wisconsin, Illinois, or Michigan, we would pass dozens of independent diners, supper clubs and bars that serve food. This made me wonder why there is a difference in the South. I later confirmed my observation by perusing some of the Duncan Hines' guidebooks.

I came up with a couple theories about why the South lacks a well established restaurant culture.
    1. Northern restaurants are an excuse to serve alcohol and alcohol remains a big profit center. Being dry until recently, this rationale did not exist in the South. At first, food might be free with a beer purchase, but alcohol also drove creativity and quality in food offerings. Schlitz was Schlitz and Pabst was Pabst, so restaurateurs had to do things to differentiate their bar-turned-restaurant. Food became the star. Mader's in Milwaukee is an example of a turn of the 20th century bar turned restaurant that survives today.
    2. Southern culture remains more centered around the church than the North. I think this meant that in the South a meal out might be a church function or dinner at a fellow parishioner's home, limiting the demand for dining in restaurants. Speculation on my part my, but it seemed reasonable to me.
    That's all the time I've got for now. More available by popular demand.

jrp
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re: Restaurant-ing With The KKK 2017/03/29 14:54:50 (permalink)
    While there were some foreign immigrants coming into the rural South in the years between the end of the Civil War and the Depression, most of them were establishing themselves in niche businesses that had proved successful for their fellow countrymen: Jews weren't opening falafel stands, they were opening small department and dry goods stores. Italians weren't opening pasta joints, they were opening produce stands and shoemaking/repair shops. Chinese weren't opening Chinese take-aways, they were opening laundries and (in the Delta Region) grocery stores in black communities previously held hostage by the plantation commissaries. Greeks were opening restaurants in the former "Capital of the Confederacy" in the early part of the 20th Century but they were "American" restaurants catering to southern tastes, not Mediterranean fare. And yes, if they had the temerity to serve a non-white clientele they were taking a risk of being visited and intimidated. But I don't think Klan intimidation had much to do with the lack of an ethnically diverse restaurant culture in the South. That's just the way it evolved. It's kind of like asking "Why can't I find a great Soulfood restaurant in Northern Maine?" or "Where is a good walleye sandwich place in Mississippi?"
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2017/03/29 20:06:15
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5